No announcement yet.
X

Air Filter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mechanics may get paid by the book...but we, the customer, get charged by the hour...and $75/hr isn't at all unrealistic for shop labor charges.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

I guess that all depends on where you live and the cost of living.

As I said before, never trust anyone but yourself. The fact is, when you bring your vehicle somewhere, whether it be your bike or car, most places will attempt to get you in and out as fast as possible because they can make more money in doing so whereas, if you do your own work you are being charged by anyone and you can take as much time needed for the job to be done right THE FIRST TIME.

Had some bad experiences with Service Advisors at dealerships so I have no confidence in what most tell me at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by sjgiardina View Post
        WOW, who's paying 75/hr for a mechanic? I would never pay any mechanic that kind of money especially when I can do that myself.
        You have a dyno with an EGA (Exhaust Gas Analyzer) at your house? Cool!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
          You have a dyno with an EGA (Exhaust Gas Analyzer) at your house? Cool!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          No but I can put it on a dyno for 75 and run as many passes as i want but that doesn't equate to me paying someone 75/hr. Besides, I'll be doing the hands on tuning and he'll give his input from what his Anaylzer reads.

I'm sure I won't be able to occupy the dyno or his shop the whole day but if I can use the dyno and the EGA analyzer for a couple of passes and that's all I pay is 75 dollars then I think that is a fair price for me.
          Last edited by sjgiardina; 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Did that and had to jet the bike. Seems to run pretty good for me.
            What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              so pay a guy $75 an hour plus a few dyno runs to tune your carbs to get what 3 HP? No thank you.
              actually id just call a friend of mine and ask when he would care to do it. I dont mess with carbs or id do it myself. I perfer my fuel injection. It was never that hard for the guys that used to race kats around here to tune them with pods. It just wasnt as easy as a verry minor tune needed with vertually no air flow gains.

Originally posted by sjgiardina View Post
              No but I can put it on a dyno for 75 and run as many passes as i want but that doesn't equate to me paying someone 75/hr. Besides, I'll be doing the hands on tuning and he'll give his input from what his Anaylzer reads.

I'm sure I won't be able to occupy the dyno or his shop the whole day but if I can use the dyno and the EGA analyzer for a couple of passes and that's all I pay is 75 dollars then I think that is a fair price for me.
              if you can get dyno tuning time for 75 bux you must know someone. most places are 50 bux for a basic dyno pull. then 100-200 for a dragstrip tune. and then 300 - 350 for a full street dyno tune. Mine was 250. but I lucked in to it at that price and the guy that did the work is a good one to do buisness with. He looks at it as his name on each and every tune he does. and he wants it right.
              Last edited by BLACKDEATH; 05-24-2008, 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
              6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
              5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

We have a local place in the area that will street-tune for $100, if the plastics are off and the carbs aren't screwed up... But it's all that particular mechanic does at this shop, and he's really good at it, so he can usually get people in-and-out in 1/2 hour or so.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, I've seen this guys shop for a long time at this location and have spoken to many of people and they know of the shop and have nothing bad to say about him or the shop so I figured I'd call him to see what he'd charge, thinking he would be expensive. When he answered the phone, I asked him what he charges to put a bike on the dyno and he said 75 dollars, of course I asked him how many pulls do I get for that and his reply was, as many as you need, I'll can work with you on that, but he also said that I'd have to do my own wrenching when changing the jets and adjusting the A/F mixture. As I said before, I suspect as long as he's working at the shop and it's not costing him his time then I probably could make a few passes for the 75 dollars; well worth it, even if it was for just one pass.

I'll finally know just how much more HP my bike puts out over stock and with this goofy, unorthodox configuration I am running. It sure sounds great and it definitely runs great. I'll probably post the results and put the bike for sale at the same time with the option to choose the paint color you want once I've dyno'ed it.

Comment

Working...
                  X