X

Air Filter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter?

Hey I'm looking at getting a K&N air filter for my Kat....has anyone done this, and if so, has it made a difference?

Oh boy here we go...lots of people have done this mod (myself included)....even more people advise against the mod. I'm sure arsenic will chime in and tell you the reasons, but I have since switch to stock (came with K&N from PO) and bike feels smoother. In short (and people can correct me if wrong), the K&N allows too much air through (thus the need to use the doughnuts) and thereby you'll need to tinker with the fuel/air ratios. arsenic is very adamant that the kat runs like crap with the K&N because you can never get the settings right to run smoothly. Since I've switched to stock, I've noticed less bogging. If you want to try the K&N I'll sell the one I took out of my bike, along with a cleaner kit for $50.
    Last edited by crazyaussie; 05-22-2008, 03:05 PM. Reason: added more
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

K&N filter, new jets, and timming advancer.

Ran smooth as a baby's but.
      What are all those problems you're talking about
      Too old to dream, too young to reason...
      I am fond of my rough edges.
      sigpic

Comment

-2000 "750"

Comment

crazyaussie summed it up well. Yes, K&N does suck on a Katana, period.

Comment

Originally posted by seler12 View Post
            Hey I'm looking at getting a K&N air filter for my Kat....has anyone done this, and if so, has it made a difference?
            Check this out; this bike runs very poorly, this setup sucks and cannot be properly tuned. NOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!

http://i306.photobucket.com/player.s...a/100_2508.flv
            Combination Ivan/DynoJet jet kit; 600 diaphragm springs instead of 750; Ivan needles and the 120 jets from Dynojet
            K&N air filter (Big Donut)
            5 degree advancer
            ground the exhaust manifold
            Yoshimura exhaust
            1 tooth down in front

Comment

there are two K&N filter setups for a Kat. the single filter that goes in the stock air box is tunable, IMO. removing the air box to install K&N universal pod filters leads to a lot of tuning issues on any bike with CV carbs like our Kats, however, and can be a real pain to run
              1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

I got one, used, that you can have fairly cheap ($42 delivered).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks all for your opinions...I doubt I'll put one in...I did want to double check before tried anything other than the stock one.

Comment

mine isn't an opinion dude, I don't think they suck on a Katana, I KNOW it.

Comment

I'll stick with the K&N cone on my 750, never go back to stock...
                      sigpic
                      Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

pods are a pain to tune. ill agree with that. But if you take the time. or get a guy to do it that knows what they are doing its worth it. And yes you can tune them. but it is a pain.
                        Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                        6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                        5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

so pay a guy $75 an hour plus a few dyno runs to tune your carbs to get what 3 HP? No thank you.

Comment

my business partner just bought a bike stock with a K&N.
                            First time i rode it i could feel the bike hesitating a bit on top end (above 7K) at the first stop i told him when we got back i wanted to check the air filter because the bike feels like it's running lean and surging a bit. he told me it has a new K&N in there.
                            I just said OH..

needless to say... we are ordering it an OEM filter this week.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              so pay a guy $75 an hour plus a few dyno runs to tune your carbs to get what 3 HP? No thank you.
                              WOW, who's paying 75/hr for a mechanic? I would never pay any mechanic that kind of money especially when I can do that myself. Besides, most car mechanics get paid by the book so if they can short-cut the job and make it work, they will; never trust anyone but yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X