Scared of my Kat need some wisdom

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first ride

Originally posted by giftedwon View Post
    i learned how to ride on my kat. at first i was nervous but now im comfortable and love it. Today I took my MSF course and I got stuck with a Honda Rebel. The Honda rebel really made me realize how much I love and respect the cat. The honda is light true, but its control sucks and the power is now there. So my advise is just stick with the kat and overcome your fears.

my first bike is a 04 750 kat and i love it i would say its a little intimidating at first but not scary, just gotta be easy on the throttle and trust yourself

Comment

• I recommend keeping the ball of your feet on the pegs.. I'm 6'4 with long legs and for awhile it was weird.. Now its natural.. I slide my feet down when I need to shift/brake.. Then I slide them back up.. It makes it comfortable on the interstate at 80..

And if you need a little weight to get around a corner, easier to push with ball than the middle of your foot..

The scary part will go away.. I was terrified of my bike at first.. What I did was get on it and push it hard.. Run it fast, get a feel for its speed, how it handles at high speeds.. Do it in a safe manner, no cars around.. Luckily for me the interstate is empty in the morning.. So every now and then I'll get it up to 100+ just to see how she handles.. I'm not by far telling you to hurt yourself.. Nor am I trying.. Only way I'm going to get comfortable with my bike is knowing what it can do..

Corners, pull your feet up, it will help stabilize you in the turns.. It helped me a ton when I use to just put middle of my feet on pegs and lean..

Comment

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Hey Cyber, is/was this your skoot? what's up with that rear end/signal setup? got any detailed pics and discription of what ya got goin on back there? This pic surely does have my curiosity up.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

• Yes, that's the scoot that was stolen 7 Dec 2007, the Blue 01 Kat 600. What you're looking at is the Givi side-racks used to hold the hardsided luggage in place; the racks relocate the blinkers back & outward, so they sit behind the bags when the bags are in use. I really wish I could find another of those racks systems (out of production it would appear).

Another pic:

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• got pics/dims etc? Zack my painter guy is pretty darn good with a welder. i should think someone semi-talented could even fab them up.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

• Pics I have, like the one above. Dims I don't -- wish I did.

EDIT: What I do have is the bags and the pin/latch kit for converting another brand of rack. If you've got a 98-02 Kat about (to measure against/work from), it would probably be easy to recreate with a full shop, metal bender & welder...

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Pics I have, like the one above. Dims I don't -- wish I did.

EDIT: What I do have is the bags and the pin/latch kit for converting another brand of rack. If you've got a 98-02 Kat about (to measure against/work from), it would probably be easy to recreate with a full shop, metal bender & welder...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

ratpoop, my Kat is a 1990 750

Comment

• fast enough...
                  The fine aerodynamics of the GSF1100F and the 136 hp engine gave the bike very high top speed. GSX1100F was among the fastest bikes in the world at the time, if not the fastest.
                  At low revs, this Katana's power curve towers over other Superbikes': At 3500 rpm, the GSX-R falls six horsepower short, the CBR is down four horses, the FZR1000 down nine. Apart from a dip at 6000 rpm, where the CBR has a seven-horsepower advantage, the Katana runs stronger down low than anything save Yamaha's now-defunct FJ1200.
                  But the Katana's biggest advantage comes in the form of a mid-range wallop: At 7000 rpm, the Katana's horsepower is up 16 percent over the CBR, 27 percent over the GSX-R, and 30 percent—23 horsepower!—over the FZR1000.
                  Big numbers down low, and crisp, immediate throttle response give the Katana the grunt to flatten 10,000-foot passes in top gear.
                  This combination also makes for impressive full-throttle roll-on performance: From 45-70 mph in the top three gears, the Katana absolutely smokes the CBR and GSX-R, and nips the FZR and FJ1200 in third gear as well, though the two Yamahas inch ahead in the top two gears. Nevertheless, the Katana's broad-ranged power lets this supple, long-legged Superbike run with the most potent engines in all of motorcycling.

Comment

• Wow....that took like an hour to read all those posts in one shot! I just started my riding career last August (almost a year now) and the 2000 GSX750F Katana was the bike I really learned on...I did have maybe 2 hours worth of riding time on a 185 a couple of years before, but thats it for riding experience. When I got my Kat, I loved it...it was faster then my Ford Tempo, so it was perfect....I learned on how to control it with many hours of "empty parking lot play seesions". I used markings on the ground to deal with braking speeds and learned how fast in what gears is comfortable and "cop-safe" if you will. So I rarely look at the speedo any more...I just now off of a light, go quick and after a second, skip gears till I hit 4th or 5th and I'm going 40 MPH. I took our local motorbike basic training just a few months ago, was the only person who had riden before and led the pack of trainees while I worked on more advance stuff (like blip shifting and super slow or whatever...use that one a lot at lights).

I have always felt comfortable and safe with my Kat....I know I still have plenty to learn about it...but you have to ride in order to learn....the more you ride, the more you will know your bikes capabilities...ride it when ever you can....take it to empty lots and use the lines and markers to dodge around.....make a small "race track" out of it (watch your speed lol) and have fun with it. I know my bike will go down if I'm stupid and in result....hopfully no ceremony with your name on it....but if you respect it, and realize that if you start slow and careful, and work your way up, your bike will become your best man at your wedding (whether your married or not doesn't matter lol). Just have fun and avoid being stupid....but don't be too stupidless....otherwise you'll have no idea what your limits might be.

For waving....just wave to every rider (unless your in a big bike rally or something) who cares if they ignore you...at least you are watching your surroundings and ahead of you....and it means your a nice guy/girl (or at least if you were to stop and talk at a gas station or something for a quick moment)....I say "Respect is how much you are waved with 5 fingers....wowing faces don't hurt either" (I know its a long saying, but whatever lol)....I might just try to edit that a bit in the future....

Have fun and keep Riding!!
                    2000 Suzuki GSX750 Katana

Comment

Working...
                    X