No announcement yet.
X

Scared of my Kat need some wisdom

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your Kat.

Comment

This is odd; a verbal rumble back there and I wasn't even in on it. However, having been on cruisers initially, I had an '83 Suzuki GSX750ES come my way for a while and felt funny about it. The first time I lay on the tank, I was laughing at myself, until I realized the rush of doing that. I currently have a VTX1300 and a Kat 750. I love them both, but would really miss the Kat were I to sell it. It's comfortable and precise. I can jump into the passing lane and hit 100+ immediately (don't like spending time in the passing lane) and bring it back down quickly. I don't care who or what waves or doesn't. I'm somewhere else anyway. Enjoy your bike!
      Last edited by zuma; 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM. Reason: pendejo grammar

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by gennabirman600 View Post
        so in 2 months you went from being scared to dragging, seems like your fairly comfortable. im about a month into my kat. love it.
        I dont know if i am not scarded anymore the acceliration still makes me think alittle and i did almost miss a corner dragging. My confadence is defently building now I just have to make sure it is in check.
        Chuck
        1990 750 katana
        2002 Honda rebel
        1995 Jeep YJ
        2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

Here is my opinion on not waving. I'm busy concentrating on staying out of trouble when I ride. If someone waves, I'll give the two finger salute. I'll make the gesture before someone else does and if they don't return, :flipping: um'.
          I've got the rocket and they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckyj95 View Post
            Just wanted to update everyone who help me I have been riding the kat almost 2 months now I am slowly like it. I am in love with on ramps so I took it on a gorge road lots of switch backs and 30 MPH s's. I loved it dragging my foot the hole time. It got hairy once two bike came at me lost my concentration and went on to the shoulder but I kept it up and learned a good lesson stay focused. I think I am going to get a cruise in two years to commute on but I am starting to think I will keep the Kat just to toy with on weekends. Thanks again Chuck

Why in God's name are you dragging your FOOT...? Your going to be dragging your A$$ if you don't learn how to corner properly. Do not lean a Kat that far. Once the foot peg is dragging, the next thing to happen is your Rear Tire lifts off the ground. Then you are in real bad trouble. Your foot is not supposed to drag, Your knee is. Be careful. You are new to this, take it easy.
            2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
            Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
            "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
            Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
            Veteran of the United States Air Force.
            "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Whether or not your foot drags all depends on what position its in. Some people are more comfortable with their toes pointed slightly outward. Thats why good racing boots have toe sliders.

EDIT: Thats why ALL racing boots have toe sliders.
              sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
              RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
              I Miss You Pop
              2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
              BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

Originally posted by chuckyj95 View Post
                I dont know if i am not scarded anymore the acceliration still makes me think alittle and i did almost miss a corner dragging. My confadence is defently building now I just have to make sure it is in check.
                Chuck
                Chuck -

I went through this thread tonight and I didn't see what I'm going to suggest posted so here goes:

Do you ride with earplugs?

When some people first get their Kats, myself included, they get a little unnerved with the higher revs (esp if you are running an aftermarket exhaust - the D&D will drive you nuts). First month or two on my Kat 600 I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. If you're not wearing them, I highly recommend a decent set. Something on the order of soft 35 dB plugs will cut out most of the noise and help you focus more on your riding.

And, as an added bonus, you can all but forget about hearing loss from riding.
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Ok draging my foot I guess the right term is feallers (sp) my toes are pointed down and out on the pegs because I have long legs. Does that make scence. It feels good going in to courners like that, kinda like once my toe hits thats it cant push anymore.

On the ear plug thing I have found I am riding better with a mp3 player in one ear.

Defently feeling a lot better on the bike even thinking of keeping it and get a cruiser in a cuple of years only time will tell.
                  1990 750 katana
                  2002 Honda rebel
                  1995 Jeep YJ
                  2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

You don't want your toes pointing down!!!! You are supposed to ride on the balls of your feet.
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment

• I seem to have misread his first post. It sounds to me like you've got your toe under the shifter while cornering or something??? If you're dragging the side of your toes a bit...thats normal and like I said, thats why racing boots have toe sliders in the first place(cause they're gonna drag a bit in a deep corner if the ball of your foot is on the pegs) but if you're dragging the FRONT of you're toes then you really need to re evaluate your footing!
                      sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
                      RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                      I Miss You Pop
                      2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
                      BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

• Originally posted by chuckyj95 View Post
                        On the ear plug thing I have found I am riding better with a mp3 player in one ear.

Defently feeling a lot better on the bike even thinking of keeping it and get a cruiser in a cuple of years only time will tell.
                        Try it once - get a good set of spongie earplugs rated at 35 dB and go for out for about an hour or so... You'll be able to focus and really enjoy the ride, while still hearing just enough to keep you out of trouble.

I ride with the mp3 on longer hauls, but am a little concerned that a.) I'm not focused the way I should; and b.) I don't think I'm doing my hearing any favors. Given that I'm one step short of needing hearing aids (ENT says it's just a matter of time now), I probably shouldn't have it.
                        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

• give it some time i was in the same position last year. Go get a throttlemeister if your worried about your speed.
                          02' Katana 600
                          D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

• Originally posted by ras View Post
                            give it some time i was in the same position last year. Go get a throttlemeister if your worried about your speed.
                            bad advice to give someone who is afraid of their bike. A throttle locking mechanism IMHO is only to be used by someone who is incredibly comfortable with their bike. I don't think it would be safely used by someone who is apprehensive when riding their bike

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

• didnt think about it that way my bad. I was just thinking about him having issue with keeping the same speed
                              02' Katana 600
                              D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

• Originally posted by JaxKat View Post
                                Why in God's name are you dragging your FOOT...? Your going to be dragging your A$$ if you don't learn how to corner properly. Do not lean a Kat that far. Once the foot peg is dragging, the next thing to happen is your Rear Tire lifts off the ground. Then you are in real bad trouble. Your foot is not supposed to drag, Your knee is. Be careful. You are new to this, take it easy.
                                I'm a foot-dragger, or more accurately said, because of my feet's width (not length), the front outer-edge of my feet will tend to get to the ground before the feeler pegs in my feets' normal riding position. It's fine because it's how I trained, and I have yet to wear through anything more than a tiny sliver of soul on my boots (basically, it's a feedback system).

But if you are the type to grind away your shoes doing this (esp on a Kat), yes, you need to change your cornering habits drastically before it comes back to bite you in the arse...

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X