X

why is my speedometer off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is my speedometer off?

I bought my 04 600 last summer from a dealer whom had taken the bike in on trade i assume. There are several modifications that i can visually see like a yosh slip on & K&N air filters. My question is; ive noticed that my speedometer seems to be off about 10 mph and i dont really know why? I've never riddin any other kats so i dont know for sure if its due to a mod done by the previous owner or what the case is. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Were the tires changed from stock size to another? Were the sprockets changed from stock size? They do have a speedo healer that you can purchase that will correct for those type of things...Also how fast were you going that you were 10mph off? From what I understand the faster you go the more off it can be...if you do a search you may be able to find more info on this...but hopefully the more knowledgeable members will respond...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I dont know about the sprockets, I know the tires arent stock though. I didnt think it was enough of a difference to through the speed off that much. When the speedometer reads 55 its really between 65 & 70. I tried to find out who owned the bike before me recently to ask, however I came up empty handed.

Comment

I had the same problem with my '98 750. Take a look at this thread. Take off the speed sensor and poke inside to see if the speed rotor is loose. If it is you'll have to remove the sprocket cover and tighten it up. That fixed mine with the exception of the tire size difference. Mine was indicating 60 and actually 80 mph. If the sprockets have been changed you might want to get a speedohealer to correct it.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Comment

Count the teeth on the front sprocket, sounds like someone went down a tooth. Then get a speedohealer. http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
          Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
          '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
          '11 Kawasaki KLR650
          I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

A stock Katana is usually off about 8-10%. I guess the just want you to think your going faster than you really are.
            myspace
            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
              A stock Katana is usually off about 8-10%. I guess the just want you to think your going faster than you really are.
              In this case, it appears to be the opposite, the speedo indicates SLOWER than the actual speed, which is much less funny with cops.

Comment

it's only about 5%
                '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Already answered, so I won't add anything except:

98+ reads off the output shaft from the transmission where the front sprocket is. Thus, anything that changes the relationship between how often the shaft turns and how much distance the rear tire covers screws with the speedo.
                  Stock tire size is 150/70ZR17.
                  Stock sprockets for the 98+ 600 is 15 front, 47 rear, for a 3.1333 sprocket ratio...

Cheers
                  -- The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a 160 on the rear on my kat and plus I have a 14/50 sprocket set-up. I got my friend on his bike to ride next to me on his 06 Zx6r complete stock. When agree at a crusing speed of 60 mph. I was riding at 70mph. So my bike is showing I am 10mph faster then I really am. We test it at 50 and 60 and it was the same 10mph off.
                    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-16-2008, 10:25 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Update Jul 11 2014
                    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
                      I have a 160 on the rear on my kat and plus I have a 14/50 sprocket set-up. I got my friend on his bike to ride next to me on his 06 Zx6r complete stock. When agree at a crusing speed of 60 mph. I was riding at 70mph. So my bike is showing I am 10mph faster then I really am. We test it at 50 and 60 and it was the same 10mph off.
                      What's your point?
                      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                      '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Thats odd, my 04 600 is stock (tires & sprocket anyway). My speedo was showing 70, my wifes truck showing 80. Dont know which to believe, but I will GPS her truck next time to see
                        '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
                        ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                          What's your point?
                          What you mean whats my point? I don't understand? The guy ask why is speedo is 10 off. I was telling my set-up so maybe he can have something to compare too. Or maybe you just wanted to and I was a easy pick. LOL.
                          sigpic
                          Update Jul 11 2014
                          Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X