X

Lost the speedometer ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost the speedometer ...

I noticed the needle bouncing a bit (2-3mph) last night on a "spirited" group ride, then I leave to goto work this morning and, bam, no speedo. A few times it would come up to 35 and bounce between 30-45 while traveling at 45 ... then nothing.

Any ideas what could be the issue? Could a mis-adjusted clutch be to blame? (I just mention that because it's the last thing I've tweaked ... the bike shifts and takes off just fine.) Is something unhooked/loose somewhere?

Thanks in advance guys,
    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
    2005 F4i -

First place I would check is your speedo-cable.

Long Live the D

Comment

Does it hook up right by the clutch cable on the trans?
      - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
      2005 F4i -

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
        First place I would check is your speedo-cable.
        aren't the 98+ electronic driven?

Found the page in the manual

Comment

Yup 98+ are electriconical.
          (silly) Anyway... It could be a connection issue. Bad connector, loose wire or it could be the pick up isn't "seeing" the trigger (on the tranny) right. Or (cue dramatic music) the speedo itself.. That would suck as there are "no serviceable parts inside"

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            Yup 98+ are electriconical.
            (silly) Anyway... It could be a connection issue. Bad connector, loose wire or it could be the pick up isn't "seeing" the trigger (on the tranny) right. Or (cue dramatic music) the speedo itself.. That would suck as there are "no serviceable parts inside"
            Most likely would be the speed sensor, could have bumped it when doing the clutch adjustment, I know I did last time I did mine lol

Comment

I would agree 87vert..

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Here's hoping it's not the speedo itself. I'll tear it apart tonight and check the connections. Hopefully it's just come loose or something. If it does wind up being the speedo though, does that mean I need a whole new gauge cluster?

Regardless, I should just buy stock in RonAyers.com ... seems like I'm buying something on there every week!
                - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                2005 F4i -

Comment

Originally posted by Kila-Beave
                  If it does wind up being the speedo though, does that mean I need a whole new gauge cluster?
                  Nah, just an eBay 98+ speedo..

Comment

The plot thickens ...

Ok. well it looks like the speedometer is fine ... and hopefully the sensor is fine too.

What was causing it to only read every now and then you ask? Well that behavior could also be exhibited if the sensor wasn't close enough to the sprocket. Somehow the sprocket cover got broken from the inside!

How exactly is this possible? Did the chain suck up a rock or something? Maybe the chain tried to jump the front sprocket, making it hit the sensor which broke the cover?

Here's a few pics ...

- Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                    2005 F4i -

Comment

wow

Comment

I think it's planning that escape for days.. Good thing you caught it when you did!!!!

Are those scrapes on the face of the pick up?
                        looks like it was a close one.

Comment

Yea the scrapes are on the front of the pickup, really it looks like it was slightly impacting the sprocket. It's really odd because it hasn't affected its rideability ... if it wasn't for the speedometer going haywire I would have never noticed.

I've got the plastics torn off, and will likely pull the sprocket cover off tonight after work. Hopefully I can just put another sprocket cover on there and it'll be alright.

It seems like it's probably SUPPOSED to rub against the sprocket to pickup a signal. It's just not supposed to slam into it like mine apparently did. Anyone know for sure?
                          - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                          2005 F4i -

Comment

I don't know for sure but 22 years in the Automation industry tells me that while it might be only a whisker away from the sprocket, it was not meant to touch it..

Comment

do you still have stock sprockets? or are they aftermarket? just wondering if that had anything to do with it

Comment

Working...
                              X