X

Ignition Advancers in STOCK (5 each!)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erki View Post
    So does this mean I shouldn't put my advancer on? I have a cdn Kat.
    I have had mixed reports -- the Canadian KR members who have installed one report that they do still feel a positive difference in the lower three gears, although according to the Suzuki manuals, they really shouldn't

If you're a Canadian and you bought it from me, I will refund the purchase if you want upon return of the advancer, if you want...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Marc are the advancers the same for the pre 98 and 98+ bikes? If so let me know so I can get 2 of them from you. One for me and one for Dapig.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        I have had mixed reports -- the Canadian KR members who have installed one report that they do still feel a positive difference in the lower three gears, although according to the Suzuki manuals, they really shouldn't

If you're a Canadian and you bought it from me, I will refund the purchase if you want upon return of the advancer, if you want...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        So if the Canadian bikes do not require the advancer, but one was to install one anyway, is there any possible negative impact to the engine (performance or life expectancy etc.) that could result from 'over advancing' the ignition?

CP - did you see any difference between the Canadian OEM part that I sent you and the US OEM part you have? Or even a difference between the Canadian part and the Factory Pro part (I didn't even consider comparing when I switched them).
        I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

Putting an advancer on our Kats would just add to the total timing, since the CDI has no way of knowing actual total timing. So we will get some more advance, but if it's of any benefit.... only a dyno would tell.
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
            Marc are the advancers the same for the pre 98 and 98+ bikes? If so let me know so I can get 2 of them from you. One for me and one for Dapig.
            Yes, they are the same for all 88 - 06 Kat 600 & 750's. Check your PM's for the quote for two delivered to the same address in zip 37115.

Originally posted by Spud View Post
            So if the Canadian bikes do not require the advancer, but one was to install one anyway, is there any possible negative impact to the engine (performance or life expectancy etc.) that could result from 'over advancing' the ignition?
            Over-advancing: you'd lose some performance, and the bike would run particularly hot (because it's holding on to the exhaust gases quite a while longer before opening the exhaust valve). The change would be most obvious in the lowest gears, probably around 4 - 6k RPM.

If you think of it as a mechanical action -- you want the detonation to happen so that the maximum amount of power occurs when the crank can get the most out of the piston pushing down on the connecting rod -- then there is obviously a point of maximum advantage based on the relationship between the spark event, the detonation duration and the crank position. To simply that a bit -- if you are peddling a bicycle, and you push down on the peddles, you get the least work when the peddles are straight up-n-down, and the most work when the peddles are parallel to the ground. The same thing applies inside the engine -- we're tweaking the timing of the detonation so that the maximum expansion of gas happens when there is the biggest advantage.

Originally posted by Spud View Post
            CP - did you see any difference between the Canadian OEM part that I sent you and the US OEM part you have? Or even a difference between the Canadian part and the Factory Pro part (I didn't even consider comparing when I switched them).
            I found zero differences; same part number, and after scanning on a flat-bed scanner at 800 dpi, locating the center axis perfectly, drawing lines in illustrator (& noting angles), they appear absolutely identical. Both were 8 degrees from the center of the keyway to the starting edge of the closest finger, and each subsequent finger was within 1 degree of the same measurement on the opposite one. Thus, this leads me to conclude that either:
            (A) The difference in advance (between the US & Canada) indicated in the Suzuki factory service manual's technical specs pages is accomplished in the CDI or the pick-up plate rather than in the advancer rotor itself; OR
            (B) The manual is flat-out wrong; OR
            (C) The specifications changed again sometime after 2001 (I don't have the later specs pages in my manual).

I'd like someone to compare part numbers on the hall sensor (signal rotor sensor) assembly between the Canadian & US models, then repeat the same with the CDI part numbers for any given year (98+ ). If you can get me the numbers from the Canadian-specific fiche, I'll pull the US ones...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 03-29-2008, 01:25 PM.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok I hope someone can use this to better clearify this problem as I am just a information provider not a mechanic.

Canadian rotor part # 33120-19C20 (1999 Kat 600). Found on microfiche at local Cdn Suzuki dealer.

Factory webpage http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prods01.html

Read at bottom of page under Misc. Information.
              Last edited by Cat 4 Life; 03-30-2008, 01:56 AM.

Comment

The stuff at the bottom of the FactoryPro page references the CAlifornia models, not the Canadian ones...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wonder why their's dosen't have the 19mm nut on it to help with install?
                  Last edited by Fox Fader; 03-30-2008, 11:53 AM.
                  Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                  '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                  '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                  '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                  I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

are these units still available??

Comment

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      The stuff at the bottom of the FactoryPro page references the CAlifornia models, not the Canadian ones...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      I realize that but what I am telling you is that it is the SAME PART NUMBER AS THE CANADIAN MODEL. Which I have, and looked up at a CANADIAN dealership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cat 4 Life View Post
                        I realize that but what I am telling you is that it is the SAME PART NUMBER AS THE CANADIAN MODEL. Which I have, and looked up at a CANADIAN dealership.
                        Ya we know. The OEM ignition rotor for US and Canadian models is the same. We are trying to find out if the Suzuki manual is correct and if so where did they hide the advance that the US models don't have, if we even have it.
                        2000 Katana 600
                        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

• Subscribe...

I want one of the also..

Comment

• now if your running nitrous, the ign. adv. is not the way to go....(hint hint to my fellow wi/ill group riders) the advancer will detnate your motor, or make a nasty ping, leading to detnation.....i doubt this applies to anyone, maybe a few, but if you thinking about running the boost in the bottle, take the advancer off before you pull the trigger

Comment

• Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE View Post
                              now if your running nitrous, the ign. adv. is not the way to go....(hint hint to my fellow wi/ill group riders) the advancer will detnate your motor, or make a nasty ping, leading to detnation.....i doubt this applies to anyone, maybe a few, but if you thinking about running the boost in the bottle, take the advancer off before you pull the trigger
                              who is adding nitrous to a katana
                              sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

• A DOZEN ADVANCERS HAVE ARRIVED, ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER STANDARD SUPPLIES.

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X