Spark advancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
    The jetkit causes it to run cooler.

The advancer causes it to run hotter, because the spark occurs earlier and thus it holds the detonation by-products for a longer amount of time before opening the exhaust valve -- which means it runs hotter. No way around that. Tell Ivan to call the CyberPoet...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    CP is the order of installation important? Will it make a difference if you install the jet kit, snyc the carbs then install the advancer, or should you do the advancer, the jet kit then sync?

Thanks

Comment

The advancer has zero to do with the carb's vacuum levels, thus when it is installed is irrelevant for syncing them. The only reason it might be important would be heat issues in hot weather climates, if you weren't installing both at the same time.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks, just wanted to be sure.

Comment

So can I install just the advancer and still see some performance gains without mucking around with the carbs?
          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

CP could be more technical, but the advancer increases engine heat, affecting the oil. The jet kits allow the engine to dissipate the extra heat.

I am down in S. Florida so heat may be more of an issue. Looks like you are a bit north of me, say a bit over 1000 miles, so I do not know if you have the same concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
              So can I install just the advancer and still see some performance gains without mucking around with the carbs?
              In colder regions, it's a very good upgrade, especially in the cooler months because it lets the bike come up to temp a lot faster, irrelevant of jetkit or not. The jetkit should make your bike easier to start in all weather, but for you it is not a necessary upgrade just to help offset the heat from the advancer (at least as far my comprehension of Canadian temps goes).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have an 89 and an 04 both 750
                I also live in Canada
                I thought that I had read somewhere that the Canadian Kats ignition systems are already advanced and there is no need for the Spark Advancer. Is this correct?
                89 kat 750
                2X 85 fz 750
                03 1100 v-star
                86 fz600 gawd I love this bike!!

Comment

Originally posted by SLYDVL View Post
                  I also live in Canada
                  I thought that I had read somewhere that the Canadian Kats ignition systems are already advanced and there is no need for the Spark Advancer. Is this correct?
                  that is my understanding

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by SLYDVL View Post
                    I also live in Canada
                    The factory service documentation from Suzuki claims that the Canadian models have the European-style advance from the factory.

That said, the Canadian bikes I've seen the advancers for all have the US-style rotor, and so either the advance is done elsewhere (such as a different pick-up plate or different CDI) OR there is a misprint in the factory manuals.

All the Canadians KR members who have installed the aftermarket advancer anyway claim they notice a positive benefit that matches pretty much what the US members say on their bikes-- which if their Canadian models were already advanced to the degree the European ones are, shouldn't be the case.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Last edited by The CyberPoet; 06-23-2008, 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo, clarity
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hmmmmmm
                      so is there a way to check with a timing light?
                      or should I just take the plunge and install the kit in both?
                      decisions decisions
                      any Canadian members care to give me their opinions?

CyberPoet, can you please send me a pm, with a price listing EVERYTHING that i would need to do this mod to both bikes. They are both stock, so i am assuming jet kits and advancer plates, any gaskets i may need and whatever else
                      Thanks
                      89 kat 750
                      2X 85 fz 750
                      03 1100 v-star
                      86 fz600 gawd I love this bike!!

Comment

I don't carry the jetkits and the advancers are on national back-order (I have 20 on order at this instant). Sorry...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Back in stock Today!

Details here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84808

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X