X

Fuel cleaner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cleaner?

So i have been reading about Seafoam and a techron fuel cleaner, i was wondering if i could use both or just one, maybe at the same time? Anybody know?
    sigpic
    Sgt of Marines
    2003 GSX-R 600

Use one or the other...some people swear by sea foam, others use techron, there is probably no advantage to using both at the same time, they are both fuel system cleaners and will yield you the same results .
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I would not combine them. I've used both.... and don't really have a preference. The seafoam is cheaper.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I prefer seafoam! It has worked like a charm every time.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Yeah , I seem to have better luck with the Seafoam for some reason .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yup

I know ive had great luck with seafoam in my vehicle and in the bike. great product that works.
            I like my bike like I love my girls BLACK...

Comment

Seafoam will and has worked wonders.

Comment

I had good luck with Gumout Fuel cleaner in my kat after storing it this year. When I pulledd the bike out of storage it was running a little rough. I added the Gumout (I bought the one that said it specifically removed water from fuel) and I have not had any problems since.

Comment

Both contain light alphalytics, such as keytone, to act as solvents. That's their similarity.

Now for the differences:
                  Techron has some additional detergents as well, designed to improve the cleaning action within the fuel system's smallest passages (think injector-sized nozzle passages, not carbs). In theory, these should do a better job of cleaning the fueling system of carbon debris and especially of lacquers, but will do absolutely nothing for lubricating moving parts.

SeaFoam contains about 50% oil by volume, which should do a better job of lubricating moving parts, and may contribute to a different "Feel" in the engine if blow-by was an issue previously, at least for as long as the SeaFoam lasts. But, by definition, that means it contains less detergents and light petroleum products that actually do the scouring of fuel residues and other debris.

As to whether it's desirable to have well lubricated or squeaky-clean carb internals is a matter of choice, and theoretically at least, could be a matter of debate. Either way, I've never heard of a single Kat rider going "dag-nabit, this fuel system cleaner didn't work!" for either product.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was first started on Seafoam while working for Beacon Marine Yamaha.
                    We used it as a fuel stabiliser when storing boats and outboards as well as a fuel system cleaner when taking machines out of storage etc. It's a great product when used properly and will help prevent build up and will clean partly clogged fuel systems from gum and varnish.
                    Dust dirt and rust are a different story though. dirt and sand in a fuel system can't be cleaned with cleaners.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I have also heard you can add seafoam to the oil in a car or bike.

Comment

You can add Seafoam to the engine oil, but don't leave it in there. I've used it on a few bike engines. Pour half a can into the engine oil, run the bike for 10 mins and drain. You'll be surprised at the crud that will drain out. It does a good job of cleaning the engine internals.
                        2005 GSXF750 Katana
                        1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
                        1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
                          [SeaFoam in the engine oil] You'll be surprised at the crud that will drain out.
                          That's the Keytone working, and it's basically the same as an engine flush product at that point. Since the Kat only exchanges about 65 - 75% of it's oil per oil change, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do go this route, make sure you drain the oil cooler as well and leave the oil drain bolt out overnight.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I used Lucas fuel treatment. Best treatment I have ever used

Comment

I found K100 G Fuel injection cleanor works great. (boat product) The others I have had no luck with.
                              The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                              X