X

Katana kickstand creeping...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dualsport
    Sounds like several of Katanagans have been wrestling with this situation.I appreciate all the feedback people.
    So let's see......I can do a Matrix spin move like Teddy ....or the circus balancing bend like Loudnlow ......or I can get out the trusty grinder and shave .020 of the front contact point of the stand. I think I'm liking option #3! Time for a little modification!
    Thanks all!
    Dualsport
    Ride fast....and safe!
    Push the limits, but always factor in the unknown!

Teddy! No problem dude! No harm.....no foul!!!!
    AHA!!!.... Someone was listening!
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

The Center stand should not be used during windy conditions, as the motorcycle is not as stable on the Center stand as it is on the Side stand.
      The location (front to back) of the centerstand axis, it's width at the base and the total bike weight play into that stability -- not all bikes with centerstands are as stable as the Kat's. But if the wind is not one-directional, the centerstand is more stable. If the wind is bad enough that it can knock a Kat off a centerstand, the bike should have been in the house or some form of storage location (or at least had tie-downs)...

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey CP,
        Here in Mobile, Alabama we are on the coast line so the wind can be much different at the beach than it is 30 miles away at my house so it's not that easy to know when to keep the bike in the workshop. It can be calm at the house and blowing like hell off the water at the beach. Most of this area's drops occur when the bikes are parked at the beach.
        BTW...I notice that you added ThrottleMeister Cruise-Control Barends to your Kat. How do you like them? Did you think they were pricey and do you feel they were worth the bills? I was thinking of adding some to mine cause I do some lengthy rides on the weekends.
        Dualsport
        Push the limits, but always factor in the unknown....
        96 ATK 250
        2000 Road King Classic
        92 Suzuki Intruder 800
        06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I like my throttlemeisters, but if I had to do it again, I would go with the AudioVox digital cruise control instead, which for about the same price actually measures the speedo signal and adds/lets off the throttle to keep the speed digitally-steady across the board.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I took a quick look at the AudioVox digital cruise control system and found a link which included pics of the components involved after installation. It definitely looks like installation would be extremely easier with the throttlemeister.
            I think I'll search for a cruise control thread and see what opinions other Kat'ers have.
            Peace out!
            Dualsport
            96 ATK 250
            2000 Road King Classic
            92 Suzuki Intruder 800
            06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I took a quick look at the AudioVox digital cruise control system and found a link which included pics of the components involved after installation. It definitely looks like installation would be extremely easier with the throttlemeister.
              I think I'll search for a cruise control thread and see what opinions other Kat'ers have.
              If you want to trade an electronic (not vac-operated) AudioVox for a set of extra-heavy polished throttlemeisters, I'd be willing to swap.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If you want to trade an electronic (not vac-operated) AudioVox for a set of extra-heavy polished throttlemeisters, I'd be willing to swap.
                If you would be willing to trade a virtual Audiovox set for those extra-heavy polished throttlemeisters you have a deal!!!
                You ship yours to me......uh.......first.....ok??
                Dualsport
                96 ATK 250
                2000 Road King Classic
                92 Suzuki Intruder 800
                06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Maybe i just don't get it.....but i can't get my 06 kat on the center stand without help I've tried a few times then just gave up. Is there a certain "trick" to doing it??

BTW, i always leave my bike in gear. Then before i get off the bike with the stand down, i use my feet and nudge it back a bit till it doesn't roll anymore, then set it on the side-stand. It doesn't hurt that the asphalt my parking spot is made from is soft and the stand "digs in" just a hair. And also, it's on an angle
                  Current Toys:
                  2001 Harley Davidson XL 1200 Custom
                  2006 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by araknon
                    Maybe i just don't get it.....but i can't get my 06 kat on the center stand without help I've tried a few times then just gave up. Is there a certain "trick" to doing it??

BTW, i always leave my bike in gear. Then before i get off the bike with the stand down, i use my feet and nudge it back a bit till it doesn't roll anymore, then set it on the side-stand. It doesn't hurt that the asphalt my parking spot is made from is soft and the stand "digs in" just a hair. And also, it's on an angle
                    There's a thread concerning this somewhere around here, but to sum up, here is what works for me: Start with the bike in neutral, on the sidestand. Approach it from the left side. Reach down with your right hand and grab the rear footpeg bracket (with your palm up, thumb to the rear of the bike). Then with your left foot, press down on the center stand, while pulling up with your right hand. EDIT: I usually press down until the centerstand touches the ground, then use my left hand to VERY GENTLY rock the bike from side to side, just to sort of dig in the centerstand and to make sure it's not coming down with one leg on a rock or something. Then I - in one smooth, fairly quick motion - press down with my left foot and pull up and back (the bike's back, not my back). You can use your left hand to pull back on the handlebars if you want, it really does nothing but make you feel better.

What actually gets the bike up on the stand is the pulling with the right hand and pressing down with the left foot. Took me a few tries to get the hang of it, but now it's effortless. When I first got my Kat, I had to have help to get it on the center stand. Now I use the centerstand routinely. I use the center stand to get fuel, so I can get those few more drops in there, hehe.

Hope that helps,

Peace,

6P

EDIT: I don't know if you've ever bow-hunted, but the mental "feeling" of putting the bike on the centerstand feels to me like pulling back on a compound bow. Does anyone else feel like that?
                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

I put my left foot under the stand and force it out as much as I can when I park so the bike gets some lean because i have had the same prob with it falling. But im thinking im going to remove the stand and bend it more.
                      97 Katana 600 F

Comment

Mine fell in a parking lot yesterday, rolled forward a little bit and the kickstand flipped up, fell on the left side and cracked the starter clutch cover spilling oil all over the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzy2005
                          Mine fell in a parking lot yesterday, rolled forward a little bit and the kickstand flipped up, fell on the left side and cracked the starter clutch cover spilling oil all over the lot.
                          Son of a B@#$%!! I bet that really pissed you off! I have previous experience with the Ninja falling on me when I turned my back on it so I am taking extreme precautions to try to keep the Kat from falling.
                          Sorry about the bike Dude!
                          Peace out!
                          Dualsport
                          96 ATK 250
                          2000 Road King Classic
                          92 Suzuki Intruder 800
                          06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by grizzy2005
                            Son of a B@#$%!! I bet that really pissed you off! I have previous experience with the Ninja falling on me when I turned my back on it so I am taking extreme precautions to try to keep the Kat from falling.
                            Sorry about the bike Dude!
                            Peace out!
                            Dualsport

Yea, it really sucked because it seemed fine when I got off, went to walk away and heard the kickstand start to scrape a little, looked back and watched it fall over

Now I have to wait for new parts to come, broke the starter clutch cover and the clutch lever knob.

Comment

Always put the Kat on the center stand, I don't trust the kickstand. On windy days I make a point to park between cars and kinda close to a car in the direction of th wind. I also have a 93 Goldwing, put that on the centerstand also, I just don't trust the kickstands, heard to many horror stories about bikes falling forward and off the kickstands...
                              "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

On the second day I failed to extend it all the way but I caught it before it when boom crunch. I will be shaving a little of the bottom. Everywhere I park so far is safe or sheltered. I have learned to use the kickestand like loading and unloading a gun, check, re-check, and then make a final check. Failure to do this could result in somebody's death and the other possibly costly damage to your gem. I both cases it can be avoided.
                                go ahead and ruck it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X