Katana kickstand creeping...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana kickstand creeping...

Hey All!
    I have had my 06 Kat600 for a few weeks now. As you may remember this is my 7th bike so I'm not a newbie to the sport. I must say that the Kat is much heavier than my ninja but for what I bought it for (touring in style) it is a great bike. I can definitely feel the weight difference between it and the Ninja though. When I go from riding the Kat to the Ninja it feels like I have changed from a motorcycle to a ten speed.
    Anyway, I degress. One thing I have noticed with this bike is that when I put it on the kickstand I have to be extremely careful about placement. It definitely has a tendency to creep forward and fall off the stand. Since this ain't my first rodeo I try to pay extra attention to these kinds of details. I have found that if I leave it parked in first gear pushed to the most forward point it has helped. My ninja fell on me one day after a ride. I had just dismounted on a windy day and was removing my helmet with my back turned to the bike when the wind blew it over onto my legs. I was wearing full gear so I was not injured but I WAS pinned under the bike on my stomach. I was out by my shop in the back yard and was laughing because I could not move. Eventually I was ablt to wiggle my way out from under it. Thank God no one saw me. I have learned to be very careful about these things!
    Y'all have a great day!!!
    Dualsport.
    P.S. It was 29 degrees last here in Mobile, Alabama. I feel for you guys in the frigid regions. I count myself lucky to live in the south. Yesterday was the first day that it was too cold to ride. By next week it wil be back in the 70's! Thank God!!!!
    Push the limits, but always factor in the unknown....
    96 ATK 250
    2000 Road King Classic
    92 Suzuki Intruder 800
    06 Suzuki Katana 600

I actually had a similar problem with my kat being unstable on the side stand. I fixed it, accidentaly, though. I changed my front wheel by putting the bike on the sidestand, and ratchet strapping the throttle side handle bar to a wall, so the whole bike was balancing on the kickstand and the back wheel. When I was done..... voila! The kick stand has bent over a tad, so the bike sits real solid to the side. Hasn't been the slightest bit shaky since.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Similar problem here with my 06 as well, dropped in the garage. I have fixed mine also, I tend to 'spin' the bike around on the kickstand every now and again, which has bent it to just the right position...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Just leave it parked in gear.
        And with the front wheel on a bit of an elevation.

They certainly do like to roll though.

If you get an opportunity, take a look at the stand on this years GSXRs.
        They should be a model for all stands. 8)
        "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

I had mine fall over at the gas pump....grrr
          removed it and ground about .020" off of the front edge to allow it to kick a little further over center...works great!

my $.02

THE DOC
          THE DOC
          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
          mistake when you make it again.
          sigpic

Comment

,,,I've dropped her like that too a couple times,,, notice that it only happens when you're not looking!!! Then BAM!!! Too late!.

Darn cold blooded sneaky Kats!!!

They should've named her Suzuki Rattlesnake 600, or sidewinder 600... hehehe
            2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
            2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
            2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

I've noticed the same thing. I'm with BobKat2002 - I ALWAYS click it down into first gear when I use the kickstand, regardless if I have a good parking angle or not. Even if you're parked on perfectly level ground, all it takes is a incidental nudge from the back to tip it over.

Leave it in gear - problem solved.
              2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

What about centerstand???

I am kinda surprised that I have heard no one suggest using the centerstand instead?
                Dualsport
                96 ATK 250
                2000 Road King Classic
                92 Suzuki Intruder 800
                06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Uh, your comment was about the sidestand creeping.... and you are also assuming that we all have centerstands, or that we know you still have yours...therefore we tried to give you solutions pertaining to just the sidestand...

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Easy teddy....just making an observation...........
                    96 ATK 250
                    2000 Road King Classic
                    92 Suzuki Intruder 800
                    06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

never had that probelm....although I always leave my bike in gear when I place it on the sidestand...which you are supposed to do, btw.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Since someone brought up the centerstand...is parking using the centerstand more stable in the wind or less? I've just been wondering which was a better practice. Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread it just seemed the appropriate place to ask.
                        Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
                        http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
                        http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

I always give the bike a shove to get the tires to shift a bit to the right. It increases the lean and settles the whole magilla. And yes I to park it in gear 90% of the time.

Comment

Dualsport, My last post was not intended to be harsh in any way, forgive me, I am at work... You are correct though, the centerstand is the ideal solution...

Comment

Originally posted by versionpardner
                              Since someone brought up the centerstand...is parking using the centerstand more stable in the wind or less? I've just been wondering which was a better practice. Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread it just seemed the appropriate place to ask.
                              The centerstand is always more stable than the sidestand -- concrete, sand, aspault, you name it. When it pivots, the front wheel rises, but the rear wheel touches down. It's also a lot safer if you park anywhere kids (or adults acting like stupid kids) might climb on the bike.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X