X

First 5 mile ride...Curves suck !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 5 mile ride...Curves suck !

I know what every body means now when they say these things don't handle well. What a pig ! I hope its just my tires and suspension. I can't believe how terrible this thing takes corners. Either it gets a whole hell of a lot better with some new components or this thing becomes a straight line bike only, or a paper weight for that matter. Whats the quarter mile on these bike any way ? Thats about all its good for as far as I can tell. I don't know, maybe the Kat 600 has me spoiled or some thing. Ah, I think I'm gonna be sick. Well, at least its not smoking. I found 2 old guys on BMWs parked and talking. I had to ask them to follow me home I was so scared...lol
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Yip, race tech suspension upgrade is almost a must. I'll bet your shock is toast and some thicker fork oil would be in order. Check the date code on the rubber.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm considering 95-98 GSXR 1100 USD forks if I can find out the speedo drive fitment from Locomotion & Nut-Nut. The bike only has 14,811 original miles. The forks are in awesome shape for its age. The tires are dry rotted for sure and I only have 35lbs in them. I took the bike down my street last week which is just a straight road. It felt so awesome then just to feel the power of big cubes. Today, no more than a hour now to be exact, once I hit the turns it was a whole different story. I was holding up the car following me because it could not pass due to the curvy blind spots. Once I hit the straights it was night and day. I rolled the throttle and it accelerated like a champ. I really wish I would get the info I need on the speedo drive from those guys who have done the fork conversions because it could determine what I decide to spend money on. It has to get better than this no matter what. There is no way Suzuki intended for its customers to do 35mph on every curve. God only knows what will happen if I have to maneuver quick to avoid a accident. Let me correct that statement, I already know what will happen.

Let me just add a bit of info for those who don't know. I don't want to deter some one from purchasing one of these bikes or criticize others who already have one.
      I have a '88 which is the is worst of all these 1100s. Suzuki realized they made a mistake in '88 and re-designed the front end of the frame to correct the steering geometry. Long live Kats ! Even if you have to rebuild the thing...Ha Ha
      Last edited by katanarider; 12-27-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I'm a tad confused because I never caught what bike of which you are speaking. Sometimes it takes a little attention to get a bike rolling right. I once test rode a Harley wide glide and when I could no longer feel the front wheel at 65+ speeds as it would skate right and left, I took it back and wrote off HDs for years, until it was made clear to me that the front tire needed air. I still am not a Harley fan due to the fact that my ZZR 1200 made me feel like I was flying...but I wouldn't refuse to ride one.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I took a look at the bike this mourning and noticed it was a 11 mile trip, so 5.5 out then 5.5 back. I'm sure I will get more comfortable with it over time. I just expected to be able to lean more. Thinking back, a few turns I had my weight on the bars during the lean and those turns felt the worst. I recall thinking the wheel may buckle. On the ride back, I kind of put my weight into the rear tire while leaning and it felt a lot better.
          I'm not writing it off. This was my immediate reaction. You have to understand, I felt so excited before leaving the house. I was thinking I owned a super bike since its got such a huge motor...lol :-/
          Last edited by katanarider; 12-28-2014, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Haha nope. Not a super sport. Suspension is a must if you want it to even kind of perform as such. If its that bad I would look into wheel bearing n neck bearings, make sure they aren't shot too. Either way, new rubber n new suspension is gunna make a world of difference
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

17" wheel conversion, new spring, emulators and a rebuilt shock. Would help.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Like gee Maynard...what bike is this of which you speak?

Comment

He's got an '88 1100

Hint: posted in the 1100 section
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                    He's got an '88 1100

Hint: posted in the 1100 section
                    Shpielers, do you want to sell that K&N that you removed ? If so, let me know just how bad you don't want it.

Comment

I'm not allowed in the 1100 section (self-imposed outcasting) after receiving a sound thrashing from Mojo years ago...which brought us together as dear friends...dude, I love the 1100s.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                        Shpielers, do you want to sell that K&N that you removed ? If so, let me know just how bad you don't want it.
                        Already tossed it, sorry. Didn't think anyone would want it.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                          Already tossed it, sorry. Didn't think anyone would want it.
                          Probably best any way... I'm thinking that my be one reason why my carbs circuits have stood the test of time. Can you believe this thing has sat for so long and it runs so well ? If my current filter were a loose fabric I'm sure dust and mourning dew could have creeped in at some point, oh and oxidation for that matter.
                          Last edited by katanarider; 12-29-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I was about to get park mine forever because it was scary in the corners. Turned out the ok looking tires were the problem. Some of the story can be read here

Anyways, get some new tires, go over all the bearings, new fork springs and oil, emulators (if you have the original '88 forks), have the rear shock rebuilt. It will never be a light or a sport bike but it should be fun in the turns.

I am very happy with the work Race Tech did.

Expect this to cost about $800-1000. So should you get a newer better handling bike and dump $ into it? I can't say, but I do love how the 1100 accelerates and I am ok with how mine handles after all the work. The geometry still gets screwed up under hard braking before corners, but that just challenges me to improve my braking skills.
                            '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                              Like gee Maynard...what bike is this of which you speak?
                              Maynard....
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X