X

AVON AV/45 & 46 Azaro ST? Yeah?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVON AV/45 & 46 Azaro ST? Yeah?

Anybody running these on their 1100? I've still got the Pirelli Dragon GTs on there from 2007...While I've got them off, I might as well replace them. Pretty sure the Dragons are bias. The Avons are radials. I've read others recommending the Avon radials, but didn't see any number/style designation.

Load rating seems good. W-rated which is a plus.

What do you think? If you went from bias to radial - tell me what you noticed different.

Thanks!!!

I went straight for a 17" conversion on mine, 'fraid I'm no help here.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Did you get the Avon? After 6k miles I think my front bridgestone battlax is causing hopping and vibration in the turns. I ordered AV45 because it seem like the only radial option.
      '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Nope...didn't order them yet...but I am going to later this week. There isn't much choice in front tires...so I guess I'll be rockin these for a couple years. I just bought new rotors and stuff to rebuild the forks...so I don't want to do the conversion now and waste money.

That's pretty common on the BattleAxe tires. Not just on Kats. I think the CBR600s ran them for a while F2s?

Also - the 17" conversion seemed complicated from what I read & there didn't seem to be a surplus of parts available when I looked. I'll keep the 16s for now. I still have my eye on an FJR1300ES...it's killing me!

Comment

RobertTravis: If all goes smoothly I will be testing out the AV45 on Thanksgiving weekend. I am very interested to see if the radials make a difference. It could be one of the many reasons why my BMW handles much better than my Kat 1100.

The battleaxes were better than the worn out tires that came with the Kat 2 years ago, but I was never really happy with them.

I have the same thoughts on the 17" conversion. I other than tire options I am not sure what is gained.

I am certain of one thing, whatever is done to a Kat 1100 it will never handle as nice as a modern sport touring bike like an FJR.

Why the FJR over the Concours 14 or Honda ST or BMW 1300GT? I ask because I am interested, not that I favor one over the other.
          Last edited by subforry; 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
            If all goes smoothly I will be testing out the AV45 on Thanksgiving weekend. I am very interested to see if the radials make a difference. It could be one of the many reasons why my BMW handles much better than my Kat 1100.
            Sounds good. Be sure to post up your results...and be careful to warm them up and get some miles on them to get them scratched up enough to grip thru the turns.

I am certain of one thing, whatever is done to a Kat 1100 it will never handle as nice as a modern sport touring bike like an FJR.
            True. It's a 25yr old bike & I am OK with accepting reality. I'm nostalgic about this bike in particular - which is the only real reason I have it.

Why the FJR over the Concours 14 or Honda ST or BMW 1300GT? I ask because I am interested, not that I favor one over the other.
            Aside from a 5-speed box, the FJR pretty much ticks all the boxes for me. It's got power - supposed to run high 10s in the 1/4, handles well, has traction control, ABS, cruise control, heated grips, adjustable seat, electronically adjustable suspension (ES model only), power wind screen and a host of other goodies that make it a nice touring bike. It doesn't feel as wide or as long as the Concours & it's the lowest priced (non-ES) of the group. Fit & finish is excellent. Very high quality.

The Concours handles like a shopping cart. It just isn't confident in the turns like the other bikes you mentioned. It doesn't have cruise and is real light on electronics. It's got 15-20 hp more than the FJR. Racing ST bikes is like arguing on the internet. It's more sport than touring and it lacks the balance I want that the FJR has. Keyless FOB is neat, but I don't mind using a key.

The BMW - junk. They really went downhill in the past 10yrs. They used to be THE high mileage ultra-reliable platform, but the bikes of late are junk. Fit & finish is nice - but I don't like their gauges and let's face it...rolling around on a BM bike is a bit pretentious...and they are over-priced. Big Money Waster.

The Honda...boring. Way down on power, oldest design, 2nd highest priced. It is a nice riding bike no doubt, but it didn't seem as exciting to ride as the other 3 bikes. It's like the Prius of the group...Actually, I thought the VFR1200 was a better bike for me than the ST. Honda is probably in last for me in terms of Japanese bikes & their appeal. Holds true for UTV & ATVs as well. They just seem to have the oldest designs at the highest prices and they make a lot of boring bikes.

Suzuki...like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...I feel like they have been really slacking these past few years. Wish they made something to contend with the others. GSX1250 doesn't cut it.

Comment

RobertTravis: Thanks for your thoughts on sport touring bikes. I didn't know the high spec FJR had all the electronic goodies. I will have to take a closer look at one.

Comment

Ordered up the last front one they had...Avon discontinued the fronts in 16"...Got the Storm3D one for the back. Avon recommended it as a compatible match.

Avon Storm 3D X-M Radial Rear Tire
                Color- Black, Size- 150/80ZR-16

Avon AV45 Azaro Sport Touring Front Tire
                Color- Black, Size- 120/80ZR-16

If you need 16" tires, better order up a set soon before they are either all gone or the date code is older than ideal.

Comment

Mounted the Avon AV45 this weekend. I am getting better at mounting tires or radials are easier to mount. Still have the battlax on the rear. First off it fixed my low speed wobble, fixed the hopping and skipping in the turns. So I am very happy. I didn't really get a chance to push the tire in any turns. The weather was dry and 65-75 degrees.

On the highway it does get pushed around more by grooves and gusts. I didn't have these problem with the battlax when they were new. I still need to play with the air pressure and maybe rear shock settings. Also matching front and rear might help. I did order the AV46 (rear) Sunday and was told there are none, so a Storm 3D XM is being shipped.

Here is what it does that the battlax never did. It is much quicker and keeps a line in turns much better. The battlax always pushed back hard into my inside hand and the more lean the harder it pushed back. The Avon is light to firm and much more constant. Over all it makes the bike much easier to turn, keep a line, and it feels planted.

My minor complaints could vanish with a matching rear and some tweaks. I am certain the Avon is a better tire than the battlax. I am not convinced it is the best tire for the Kat 1100 but I need a matched set and more mile to really know.

The AV45 (front) shipped from M/C Superstore has date code 0414.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the report. Mine's going to ship out Dec 1st. I won't be needing it for a while yet...

Comment

The Avon Storm 3D X-M has been mounted on my Kat since Thanksgiving weekend, but because of this and that (work and rain) today I finally got out for the first ride. The old rear Battlaxe has cross profile like this \__/. Not so much curved as 3 sided.

The Avons as a matched set are hard to beat. This is the best the bike has handled in the 2+ years I have owned it. I didn't really get to push it. It was very cold and rains had washed dirt and gravel across road, usually at the apex of the corners. The tires are still a little twitchy on the slab but smooth and responsive in the corners.

It was a great ride. If you are familiar with the area that is the Angeles Crest Highway. Clear all the way to the ocean and Catalina which are hard to see in the picture but just above the tank bag.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X