Clear All

1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

This is, sincerely, utterly lovely.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Excellent thread. Quick question but did you measure BHP before you pulled it apart? Just wondered if when put back together it will (with less resistance tyre on chain and better tolerances) be putting out more power.

CC

Comment

Didn't measure power output although it ran well didn't think it was as powerful as it should be, the valves needed lapping and have since found the rings were worn. Watch this space
          If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Watching
            Carpe Jugulum...
            1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Okies here we go again.

Time for a clean and measure of the bores, pistons and rings

I always use a nice sharp scraper and brass wire brush.

If you can get a 15 thou feeler blade in that gap then the rings are worn, I managed a 29 thou so time for new rings which are on order from Partzilla and are much much cheaper from these guys in the USA than they are over here, I saved around 70% including delivery!

Using a telescopic bore gauge its not the most accurate but I accurate enough that I know the bores are in spec.

Ok back to the crankcases, all threads chased through with a tap to clean out any crap especially thread lock.

Reuniting the crankcase halves using Threebond 1207B after using an oilstone on the faces to reduce any high spots around the thread areas as they can pull out of shape, I dont want any excuse for oil to leak out.

All back together, Im using cometic gaskets on the casings and sump

Everything on the inside at least is spotless and copious amounts of oil on all surfaces.

Cannot do any more on the engine until my piston rings arrive.

Heres a nice pic of all the gaskets and oil seals, all genuine except the cometic case gaskets

Last edited by Locomotion; 04-09-2014, 08:54 AM.

My Rebuild

Comment

Amazing post like watching an amazing movie.

Comment

Hats off to you sir

Colin.

P.s. did you remember to clean out all the oilways for sludge in the crankshaft ? you wouldn't believe the amount of crap I once got out of an old Kawa Z500 crank many years ago...
                  Carpe Jugulum...
                  1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Yes mate it all got a good going over with degreaser and airgun

My Rebuild

Comment

Some more pics before whilst waiting piston rings

Final clean up, forgot to mention had a time sert fitted to one of the cam bearing caps

Better than the last pic of finished face

The oil drain holes were caked with Mr Bodgers hard sealer, now nice & clean

Put to one side for later

Cams are within spec so just cleaned, there are are few pits but nothing I haven`t seen before, you should see some ZZR1100 cams!

I thought at first the cams were knacked but they just have a long degree of duration, for torque Im guessing

That is heavy enough

Thats not out of focus you`ve just had too much beer

Awaiting rings

My Rebuild

Comment

Lovely work mate I wish my workspace was as clean and tidy as yours too...

More please Colin.
                        Carpe Jugulum...
                        1994 GSX1100F

Comment

Some shots when I picked up bike, will highlight Mr Bodgers handy work as we go

Those Gold levers have to go immediately, GSXR1100M Exhaust made to fit although collector was around 10mm from sump plug, the whole lot fell apart at the welds on removal

Full luggage

These straight bars crash the fairing and tank on full lock

GSXR1100K front end, forks crashed on first pot hole, I later unsiezed the internals changed the seals and sold on, the 6 pot calipers were a bodged fit and spaced with washers as Mr Bodger had filed down the mounting surfaces. Mudguard can stay

Arse end

TL1000 Front Master Cylinder

Another plus Hazard warning lights, will change the inserts as thats rough

After nearly 2 years in the garage I had put the bike back to standard chassis parts and wheels but then decided I liked the more modern running gear and stripped it down to nothing

I only went to the garage to sweep up

The centre stand pivots had been cut off

The rear pillion peg support had had enough, it had been welded in the past and was a little flappy

I thought I would just get another frame with all the bits intact, EBay bargain £37.99

Once I had checked all the threads it was taken to my local powder coaters along with a few other bits

Last edited by Locomotion; 04-10-2014, 08:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Rebuild

Comment

We're not worthy...we're not worthy
                            Last edited by katanarider; 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM.
                            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Frame and bits back from the powder coaters and what a good job he had done, the original painted finish fell off.

Swingarm gets new bearings, easily installed with a length of threaded bar and some big washers

New chain rub and paddock stand bobbins, chain lube pipes much neater under slung

Engine cradle 100% better, some owners may know these rot across the brace.

That wiring will be getting the once over later

The GSXR1100K slingshot front end had to go, it was ill fitting the bars were far too wide and crashed the fairing on full lock and the yokes crashed the tank.
                              The good thing about Suzuki's and parts interchangeability.

The old Gixxer top yoke, risers were simply bolted to the 2 holes where the clipon bars would go = vibrations through the bars

Gixxer yokes now surplus to requirements, the stem however has been pressed into some new yokes

Bandit 1200 MK1 yokes ready to take Gixxer stem, the bottom yoke stops had to be milled off as they clash with the headstock stops.

I managed to source a nice set of B12 forks complete with progressive springs and perfect chrome, plus they are 43mm as opposed to the GSX 41mm

The top & bottom bearings are nearly all the same on these old Suzooks, here they are fitted.

Last edited by Locomotion; 04-12-2014, 09:27 AM.

My Rebuild

Comment

OK guys back to the grind, progress has been slow but I'm back at it.

The cylinders are up for some deglazing

I dug out my old honing tool, blew the dust off and got on with light roughing up of the surface ready for the new rings to bed in

The surface should just be off shine with some kind of cross hatch pattern, the trick here is to move fast on a low speed but dont stop just pull the stones out to check, copious amounts of oil in the bores is good and splashes about a bit so check anything nearby you want kept clean

Looks rough but still smooth to the touch

Be sure to thoroughly clean the bores after

Next up the pistons

Using new circlips get one end in first so the gudgeon pin has a stop when inserting it.
                                Removing the old one the piston has a dedicated slot for using a fine flat blade screwdriver. You need to be a touchy feely kind of person to get these in and out without them pinging across the garage floor or worse into the open top of the engine, always best to fill the sides with cloths.

New rings took around 4 weeks to turn up but at 2 thirds cost who cares

Pistons reunited with the rods, everything nice and clean without drama. You may of noticed the studs are not in the block as it is near impossible to get the base gasket over the camchain guide which is a right pain the way its positioned and also getting the cylinders over the studs so I am going to get the cylinders onto the pistons before screwing in the studs.

Another point worth noting is there are 3 different lengths of studs.

Thats as far as I can go until my new piston ring compressors turn up as my GS1000 ones are not big enough

My Rebuild

Comment

Working...
                                X