No announcement yet.
X

show your "chicken strips"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a funny subject all in all. I do tend to joke about it, but the reality is, if you don't have chicken strips on your street bike, you're probably not riding right. The only reason I would get rid of my strips (in a parking lot driving in circles as Scotty mentioned) would be to make sure I didn't low side on un-prepared tires a bit easier because I screwed up a turn and had to lean further than I should have in the 1st place.

Riding on a track is one thing. You have less air in your tires. You have no objects your going to break your body on, curbs, guard rails, telephone poles, cars...et c. so you can lean to the limit and if/when you low side, you slide, get up and don't go so low/fast into that turn next time.

Riding on a street your tires (should) have more air pressure. You will probably slide into something when you low side, and you only low sided because you leaned over too far, and probably didn't need to in the 1st place, but you didnt want chicken strips. So now you have no chicken strips but are in a body cast for the next 6 months

So sure nothing wrong with getting rid of your strips in the local parking lot so your tire is prepped for when/if you screw up on the road and need that little extra grip when its REALLY important. That aside there is little to no reason to not have them!
    My YouTube Videos
    My motorcyle map!

Comment

Now I want chicken...
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I agree with Omnivore

The amount of lean you can get on some street tires is phenomenal and way more than required on the street. At the lean angle from my avatar, I still have 1/8" left on either side of the rear tire, which are just Dunlop Q2s.

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
          I agree with Omnivore

The amount of lean you can get on some street tires is phenomenal and way more than required on the street. At the lean angle from my avatar, I still have 1/8" left on either side of the rear tire, which are just Dunlop Q2s.
          Same with the Diablo Rossos. My bike would lowside if I hit that far on the edge of my tire on the street.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I agree there should be some chicken left on the bone especially on the street! I also don't really pay attention to others tires much but every now and then when there is a new guy at cycle gear tellin me how awesome his bike is I can't help but notice his wasted money in super race track tires that have never been leaned into a corner.
            95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
            Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
            ---
            I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

the Pilot power 2cts are excellent as well. never have i ever ridden on a tire that gripped so well
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:
              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thats one chewed up tires!
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                    if you want me too, ill go take a belt sander and sand down the sides of my tires to impress you guys
                    Great idea
                    <goes to get belt sander lol>

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                      I agree there should be some chicken left on the bone especially on the street! I also don't really pay attention to others tires much but every now and then when there is a new guy at cycle gear tellin me how awesome his bike is I can't help but notice his wasted money in super race track tires that have never been leaned into a corner.
                      My point..

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                      It is the balls that matter... I hope...

OP: It's riding season so everyone is being annoyed by all the squids riding around showing off. I don't think chicken strips matter TOO much but at the same time I know how squidly someone is when I see 4" chicken strips and flat rubber in the middle. All in all chicken strip convos can be fun when peoples panties aren't all in a bundle. Squids get a hold of every topic and ruin it... pretty soon we're squids because we buy nice gear because it looks too good. It doesn't matter what someones intentions were only the perception of the reader. Some of us like riding the twisties and we get home and see we ground down our tire a little more and it feels good... if this is squidly then I am a squid.

I'll post up when I get a chance although it's not very impressive...
                      Thank you..
                      Last edited by Gibby936; 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      01 600...R6 mod, Hacked Factory pipe, ignition advanced, integrated rear turn signals, 03 tail, rear hugger, under tail, blacked out tailight & front turn signals and my own stickers.

Comment

alright lets get it over with
                        "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I am honestly not sure even what "chicken strips" is suposto mean. LOL

besides that 2nd pictures

Comment

The term "chicken strip" involves motorcycle tires. The term is used to describe the parts of the outside of the tire that are not used because the rider does not lean over far enough. So the "peak" of the tire tends to be worn and the sides still look new.
                            Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                            Current Bikes:
                            1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Makes sense now, I am new, but learning this "lean" thing is a lot of fun. Just don't trust the tires on my bike, lol I plan on replacing them asap, one has a patch the other is just aged.

Comment

Well im a big ole arse....and if i leaned too much i think my 305 is going to make me low side flip and tumble into something anyway...even if i had chicken strips or a 3 piece....lol

just lighting the load of things in here....lol
                                1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot(sold)
                                1992 GSXF Katana 750(sold 2014)
                                1994 GSXF Katana 600 (gave away)
                                2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-90 (sold)
                                2003 GSX 1300R Hayabusa (purchased 2013)

I MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST DUDE YOUVE SEEN ON A 750 KAT.....

Comment

Working...
                                X