No announcement yet.
X

My build - Uglier Betty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a ton to report, still waiting for my damn bar mounts to arrive.....

Got my new controls in, so I shoved 'em on the bars, and mocked the mirrors up. New controls look a little nicer than the old ones.

Comment

Are you using a rear chain guard ?

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
        Are you using a rear chain guard ?
        Not currently, I'm going to make a temp one to run until this winter when I can lop off the stock rearsets and add some new ones.

Comment

I had never herd of a street fighter until i joined this forum last night... Am i missing something? When you sit on it how far off the ground are your feet?
          -YOGI

1999 GSX750F
          Stock except for windshield and paint.

Comment

The seat is about 1 1/2" higher than stock.(just because the foam I used was the thick part of the stock seat, near the back) it looks to much higher because there is no giant subframe. The tank is in exactly the same position as stock, so you can base the seat height off that.

I'm only 5' 6" and I couldn't get both feet comfortably on the ground on a stock bike, so I don't really care now. I got used to putting my left foot down while holding the rear brake with the right, so I just do that out of habit anyways.
            Last edited by venturesomerite; 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Spring Fever hit today and I wanted to hear her run. Carbs need to be cleaned again and now I have my Factory Pro jet kit, so I'll do both those once I can bring her outside, for now all she can do is idle.

First I had to chase down why the blinkers, headlight, horn and starter wouldn't work, turned out to be a factory connection that went bad.

Here's a little tease of the exhaust, will get a decent one after jetting and outside, so I can actually rev it. It doesn't want to run between needing a good cleaning, jets, and that it hasn't run in 6+ months.

CLICK ON PIC TO HEAR IT

Finally got word on my bar mounts, seems they have finally shipped, over a week after their arrival date was supposed to be.... **** *** ebayers.... hopefully they will come soon.

Still need to finish up the subframe, mount the tail light, paint the sub frame, mount brake again, mount bars, wire in the new bar controls, cut down all the factory harness (need some beers for that!) and mount all the electronics
              Last edited by venturesomerite; 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Oh man this is gonna be a good.
                My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

So I couldn't just leave all that spaghetti there, so I tidied up my wiring.

Cut out all the loop backs, where the wire ran down the harness and made a 180* and went right back up where it came from. I also extended a few wires to reach their new home. Only wires I did not do yet are the tail section, as I haven't mounted my tail light yet. I also got rid of the terrible factory junction points. They had chinsey crimps and electrical tape around them, from the factory.

I literally cut, soldered and heat shrunk every wire on the bike at least once. I just have to find my loom and then put it to bed.

and these are all the wires I don't have any use for.

Comment

Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I like the bronze valve cover...looks sexy! Hahaha
                    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                    '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Started working on the tank today.

Filled up the indents where the seat mated to it. Left the side recesses, as I will be eventually finishing my mini fairings that will go there.

Making Patches!

Clean it up

First Tacks

Mostly Welded

One side done

Primed

Comment

Looking good...

Might I suggest a good sealer in the tank before putting gas in it. I've had a tank welded and didn't leak fluid, but fumes were able to forced out under the paint, cause a bubble to pop up and seperation of paint from the tank. Paint traps the fumes, and makes the bubble expand...

Anyways, a simple por-15 coat not only prevents that, but also keeps the tank in good condition for long long time. No need to worry about rust.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I actually have a thread asking opinions about different sealers, but i was leaning toward por-15.

I've been holding off on it because I was planning on filling these.

Good call though.

Comment

Got a few coats on it and painted the gas cap as well. Also managed to screw up my seat. Apparently pleather and painters tape don't get along, go figure? Time to recover I guess.

Comment

Lookin good so far!
                              Sliminator

Comment

Bar mounts finally arrived. They need minimal work to fit. I can finally feel me real riding position with them mounted and man it's surprisingly comfortable, I know no one will think that from looking at it though.

I'm loving the stance now. Got to get work done when I get home next week, will be on a job in all week.

Last edited by venturesomerite; 04-02-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X