No announcement yet.
X

Modular/Flip-up Helmets......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Ed, I think they're dorky. I always see like 60 year old + men with them.

Comment

I've got one for the simple fact I wear glasses, and my head is huge... so trying to shove glasses through a regular face shield hole doesn't work so well with me. I simply put my modular on my head in the up position, then I put it down when I'm riding.

And I think they are bitchin' cool

Comment

I had a Shuberth filp-up a couple years back. Since I wear glasses it was extremely convenient because of the integrated sun visor.

Now Shuberth makes a solid full face with the integrated sun shied. That would be the bee's knees.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Flip it over. Push on the sides.

Now do that with a regular full face lid.

Tell me which one you want to wear.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Flip it over. Push on the sides.

Now do that with a regular full face lid.

Tell me which one you want to wear.
            Moto helmets are not meant to stop crushing dmg, so I don't think your example has much relevance to thier actual job performance.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Moto helmets are not meant to stop crushing dmg, so I don't think your example has much relevance to thier actual job performance.

Krey
              In relation to side impact, yes. I was shopping a KBC flip a few seasons ago, and that particular model had enough movement that I would have been concerned about a side impact not adeqautly protecting my chin/face.

Think of it as an impact, not a crushing force.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                I had a Shuberth filp-up a couple years back. Since I wear glasses it was extremely convenient because of the integrated sun visor.

Now Shuberth makes a solid full face with the integrated sun shied. That would be the bee's knees.

I use an HJC IS-MAX for the same reason. It replaced my old CL-15. I can't really tell much difference.

Here's the new next to the old:
                1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
                1993 Suzuki Katana 600 [Sold]
                1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 [Sold]

Comment

The guy I ride with has one and really likes it, but then again hes never slammed his head against the pavement. The reason he bought it was becuase he wanted to be able to put his helmet on without taking off his glasses.... didnt work out so well, he still needs to take his glasses off first.
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

*gasp* Fash! are you trying to be a pewp-disturber?!

i dig 'em, but i probably wouldn't wear 'em - why, you ask? Well, my friends, tis simple... a good-fitting helmet gives you a little bit of the case of the chipmunk-squishy-cheeks.... i really, really don't wanna flip up my helmet to show someone my squishy-face look.
                    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

that was probably the best reason why described in this whole thread, lol

Comment

I own several full-face flip-ups.
                          Nolan N100 (great helmet)
                          Nolan N101 (great helmet)
                          Nolan N102 (not as good in neck coverage as the N100/N101 and the flip-down external visor is a PIA in the rain, but it is a quieter helmet).
                          and I'm thinking about buying the N103 now... or a Schubert carbon flip-open.

Now, before I bought a flip-up, I did a whole lot of research. Not all flip-ups are the same, and the chin-bar latching mechanism is radically different among some of the brands. You want to walk away from any that have plastic hooks or plastic catches that the hooks engage -- even if they're chrome-look (the first generation Veymar flip-ups comes to mind on the chrome-look plastic in that spot). You also want to make sure that the latching system is designed in such a way that no matter how you slam into the ground, it couldn't possibly release.

The Brits have a fairly new helmet testing regime that gives helmets a star-rating (very similar to the USA's crash-worthiness ratings for cars) called the SHARP ratings. The Nolans got 4 out of five stars [LINK], which puts them at the top of the pack for any flip-open helmet; generally all the five star-ratings go to multiple-fiber full-face helmets (and not too many of them at that). You can compare helmets in the SHARP system here:

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-28-2009, 04:46 PM.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

y not

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              In relation to side impact, yes. I was shopping a KBC flip a few seasons ago, and that particular model had enough movement that I would have been concerned about a side impact not adeqautly protecting my chin/face.

Think of it as an impact, not a crushing force.

Respectfully I'll have to disagree steves. If the impact is from the side with enough force to cause damage to the front (face and chin area) then I again have to say.... you just had an impact no helmet is rated to protect you from for one. Secondly, a helmet is designed to absorb the force from an impact partially, so it's not supposed to be super ridgid.

If someone can show actual tests, or information on said tests that show there is a major difference, then you will get me to change my mind. But so far all I hear is conjecture and "feelings" on the matter from anyone who has said no.

Wouldn't we think if there was an issue, at least one lawsuit would have already been filed?... Somewhere there would be examples of it being an issue. The bikers community is huge and talks alot.... I hear alot of thoughts, but no actual #s or info on failure.

It's your choice what you wear of course, and I'll not knock ya for it if you just dont' like em. I'm just saying if someone is going to imply that they are unsafe, then we should back it up with factual info.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nolan & Schubert:

By comparison - Airoh Mathisse RS:

And Nitro F347VN:

There is one helmet that is 5-star rated and flip-open, the BMW System 5, but I haven't seen it for sale in the USA, and it's been superceded in the EU by their System 6 (both made by Schubert under contract from what I understand).

Cheers
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM.
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X