I think I F'ed up bad... (electrical)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didnt you pop the clutch?

Comment

Well, I was GONNA say that Autozone and such may not be able to test the battery- they need to know the cold cranking amps to input into their tester, and that I have jumped off several bikes from cars, with the car running and without, and that the electrical systems are not THAT different- 12 volts is 12 volts, and that CDI's usually don't fry like that, anyway, and that the reason you mistook the battery for good is you probably measured the VOLTAGE of the battery but that even a little load will knock that off in no time...

but nevermind. Carry on.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Another happy ending. (The fairytale one, not the other one.)
        2 bikes

'82 GS650G
        '94 Katana 600

Comment

Glad you got it resolved
          Sometimes the easiest, most obvious answer is the right one

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Rothman View Post
            just put a new battery in and yup... good to go. I have no idea what i was thinking. It just makes sense... ran on alternator great ; once shut down, no power. Duh I am an idiot. I don't know how the hell I measured it as good. Thanks for straightening me out guys.
            Often times it's hard to see what's going on when it's YOUR stuff that's broken . Often an outside perspective is all you need .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Rothman View Post
              just put a new battery in and yup... good to go. I have no idea what i was thinking. It just makes sense... ran on alternator great ; once shut down, no power. Duh I am an idiot. I don't know how the hell I measured it as good. Thanks for straightening me out guys.

First time someone actually solved a problem.:mrgreen:

Comment

I had the same problem, my old battery charged to 12v, and I even jumped it with a car, but once it was load tested it never stood a chance. I replaced the battery and had a bike shop bulk charge(14.5v) the new one for 24 hrs. Now i have a battery tender and have not had one problem since. I strongly suggest a tender, it takes the question out of your battery.

Comment

Quite a few years back (pre Kat), first ride of the spring. I'd charged up the battery of the Kawi 750 LTD, took a nice little ride, and headed for the gas station to top it off. sure nuf, it wouldnt start after the fill. My body is in no way up to pushing a 600 pound bike any distance, so i parked it off to the side and walked the 2 miles home. I went back with the van, wife, and son. The whole crew was there as Nick was little, and for some odd reason, you cant ride a skoot and drive the van at the same time. I wound up using my 12v inverter to plug in a charger to charge the bike battery. I had no cable with small enough ends to clamp to the battery. I was awfull proud of myself for thinkin of the 12v DC to 120v AC to 12v DC bit to get enough of a charge to get the LTD home. Of course Wife and Son are well ****ed off for having to sit in the van while the bike charged. Did another full charge to the battery at home, and tried again. Started once, but not again. I just figgured the battery was shot and went ahead and replaced it. As i was pulling out the old (after buying the new battery) i noticed it was BONE DRY. I put in the new battery, filled the old with distilled water, charged it, and it held fine. Bend over, kick self in fanny. Batteries dont seem to charge well if they're dry, DOH!

btw, i've had to replace almost all the electronics on two bikes now that someone in their infinate wisdom tried to jump start with a 100 amp boost charger. (no Peter, it was NOT me)
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                  X