X

I think I F'ed up bad... (electrical)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I F'ed up bad... (electrical)

Well my battery has been kinda sluglish lately and I was planning on replacing it today but.... Last night, I rode over to my buddies house hung out for a while and then when I went to leave it wouldn't start. I know you not supposed to jump a bike from a car because of the different charging systems but, I did'nt have much of a choice. I connected the positives and then just touched the negative long enough to fire it up. It ran great untill I got to my house. I hit the killswitch and Bam... all of the lights went out. I thought maybe it was a fluke but, it wasn't. Tried turning the key again and again, still no power. Checked the fuses today, all good. Checked the circuit breaker good as well. What could be wrong? Toasted CDI?
    Some people carry on
    Some just stay right where they are
    Our worlds divide

The 1990 has a main breaker located in front of the battery.

Get a voltmeter and check the charge on the battery itself... it might be toast.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah, breaker's good. The battery has power but, I'll check it on a volt meter now.
      Some people carry on
      Our worlds divide

Comment

Are the cables tight?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Cables are good, battery checked out good too. You think it could have melted a wire and caused a short?
          Some people carry on
          Our worlds divide

Comment

was the car running when you jumped your bike of it?

Comment

yes I'm a dumb@ss.... I only touched the ground for literally about 3 seconds to start it.
              Some people carry on
              Our worlds divide

Comment

there are no visual wire melts or shorts.....
                Some people carry on
                Our worlds divide

Comment

Try another battery. It just may be time for a new one. Did you smell any electrical burning? Check all your ground wires.

Comment

yeah, if the car was running, you could have damaged something, time to check EVERYTHING

Comment

There was/is no burning smell at all. I tore into it and everything visually looks normal. It's just kinda hard for me to believe that something like the ingitor packs or CDI went south because, I ran for a few miles perfectly fine, even idled great at the stops. Thought about just trying a new battery but, this one tested just fine. I'm kinda out of ideas besides to start replaceing all of the electronics one by one, which I don't wanna do.
                      Last edited by Rothman; 02-03-2008, 05:53 PM. Reason: Typographical error.... man that's a big word
                      Some people carry on
                      Our worlds divide

Comment

Take the battery out and get it tested (Autozone). I bet the battery is toast. I suspect if you put a new battery back in, your problems are solved.

Comment

It sure SOUNDS like a toasted battery . Why did you need to get it jumped in the first place ? You said it's been "kinda sluggish" ..... you need to replace it ANYWAY , might as well do that and see what happens .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                            It sure SOUNDS like a toasted battery . Why did you need to get it jumped in the first place ? You said it's been "kinda sluggish" ..... you need to replace it ANYWAY , might as well do that and see what happens .
                            I agree
                            02 Suzuki Katana 750
                            05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

If i wanted to hear an a$$hole i would just fart!!!!

sigpic

Comment

just put a new battery in and yup... good to go. I have no idea what i was thinking. It just makes sense... ran on alternator great ; once shut down, no power. Duh I am an idiot. I don't know how the hell I measured it as good. Thanks for straightening me out guys.
                              Some people carry on
                              Our worlds divide

Comment

Working...
                              X