X

engine is missing need help fast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine is missing need help fast

Ok a few weeks ago i washed my bike...nothing i hadnt done before. I let it sit for a bit and the ni came out, started it and went back into house to get helmet and stuff. While i was inside the house i heard the engine rpm drop suddenly and it sounded funny. I figured maybe some water got in the pipe so i goosed throttle and nothing. I rode it around the block and still nothing. It sounds like a V-tiwn now

So i started pulling wires and noticed that with the OUTSIDE cylinders unplugged(1 at a time) the engine didnt sound like it changed much, but with the inside cyl unplugged the bike wouldnt even fire up. The spark plugs were good and i even replaced the outside one that made the most difference while unplugged. Still nothing. So i replaced the coil for outside cylinders ( $80 :O ) i just got it yesterday and put in today. The bike is stil lthe same.

Also i noticed that it does idle fine , but if i goose the throttle it chokes then revs up slower than normal.still sounding bubbly too, but if i rev it slow it wont die.

Can anyone help please.i need this thing running tomorrow.
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

sounds like its not getting fuel carb could be dirt or plugged

Comment

With the bike running, switch the petcock to PRIME. If the problem goes away, it's your petcock. If it doesn't go away, open the gas cap. Problem still there? Shut it off, drain the carb bowls, remove the air filter and wipe out the airbox. If you have spare plugs, install them. Reassemble and try again.

Q: were you using some sort of pressure washer or high pressure attachment when you were washing the bike?

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Nothing changed when i turned petcock to Prime OR opening gas tank lid.

no i was just using my normal hose...with a garden sprayer attachment. Nothing high or even medium pressure.
        " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

At first, I though the problem was actually water in the fuel tank (based on your statements and the fact that it wasn't the coil). A quick glance at your profile tipped me off that you had a Cali-model, and the problems that you are having can be traced to a bad PCV valve or bad PAIR valve assembly (or disconnected hoses from it, especially the float-bowl recovery hoses).

Thus, my answer changes:
          If the bike is still under warrantee or extended warrantee, get it to the dealer.
          If the bike isn't under warrantee, ask what the warrantee is on the California pollution control system (I think, by law, it's longer than the stock warrantee in your state).
          Otherwise, expect to start having to troubleshoot the Cali-emissions crap (or eliminate it altogether to remove it as a possible cause).

Q: Have you converted your bike to the 49-state spec at any point?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i have no changed anything like that. maybe i'll ride it to the dealer...it still runs and wont die or anythiny so shoudl be fine to drive there

Comment

ok update....i took the bike in today to have someone liten to it....after i drove it there, the guy immediately opened my gas tank and it was being pressurized. He said something was keeping it from venting.

I wonder tho why all of a sudden it could do this...what hoses do i need to look at and clear out?

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                ok update....i took the bike in today to have someone liten to it....after i drove it there, the guy immediately opened my gas tank and it was being pressurized. He said something was keeping it from venting.

I wonder tho why all of a sudden it could do this...what hoses do i need to look at and clear out?
                California model issues (answers are unique to your specialty model; advice would not apply to 49-state models for anyone else reading this):

Most probable cause: bad PCV valve in the path between the tank and the charcoal cannister. Easy to test: test each PCV valve in the set-up to make sure that it allows air through in one direction but not in the other (blow through in both directions -- don't suck on them!).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hmm ok now time to find the pcv valve...i got the manual download..but since its all JPG i cant do a word search on it ...darnit

Comment

Or just take off all that emissions crap .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hmm ok now time to find the pcv valve...i got the manual download..but since its all JPG i cant do a word search on it ...darnit
                      I was under the impression that by California law, the emissions control crap had to work for at least 2 or 5 years, which this would qualify as part of.
                      Easy way to find them: start at the charcoal cannister (rear frame next to seat) and trace the hoses forward. Everytime you find a hard connector in the hose that only has one hose on each end, that's a PCV valve. There's also one built into the charcoal cannister (allows air in through the hole that doesn't have any of the hoses attached).

Originally posted by md86
                      Or just take off all that emissions crap .
                      If it's not under warrantee for it, I concur.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok new update...i left the bike with dealer to diagnose over the weekend.

I picked it up today and they told me the #4 carb was NOT getting fuel. Either dirt in carb, or something broke in the carb itself. They wanted $130 to go further and open the carb or $250 to just rebuild it. its 2yrs old WHY would it already need replacing. So i brought it home and i'll take off the carb and clean it out.

One thing i forgot to ask them was, how would 1 carb not getting fuel , create pressure in the gas tank? may be a simple answer but im not too familiar with the COMPLETE working of motorcycle setups.

Comment

#4 carb was NOT getting fuel.
                          Common reasons on a 2-year old bike:

Physical dirt in the fuel rail or in the carb's smallest jets. Requires physical cleaning (pipe cleaners recommended), would suggest you start by opening the float bowl for the #4 carb and seeing if there is any debris in it.

O-rings in the common fuel rail between carb #3 and carb #4 failed, or the O-ring under the #4 idle jet defective. Only makes sense if someone has been in the carbs or has taken them off to work on the bike, but there's always the slight possibility of defect from manufacturing of the O-rings.

That's all I got. I'd still say obsolete the California control system.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            I'd still say obsolete the California control system.
                            uh ...... huh ? anyway....u have any info on the why all this would create vaccum in the gas tank ? just want to make sure there aren't 2 things wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              I'd still say obsolete the California control system.
                              uh ...... huh ? anyway....u have any info on the why all this would create vaccum in the gas tank ? just want to make sure there aren't 2 things wrong.
                              California model Kats have a vacuum system to the gas tank to suck off vapors. Suggest you check the addendum to the standard Kat manual for the California plumbing to understand how it's hooked up (it's in the factory manual that TDRcom has posted -- search if you don't have the manual yet).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X