600 won't idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 won't idle

Just picked up a 95 Kat 600

Rebuilt carbs and bench synched them after riding the bike home 2 hours from the seller and during that time idle was inconsistent sometime 3k sometimes lower.

After the rebuild carb boot #2 on the airbox won't seat fully and may be causing a vacuum leak. it will idle at 2.5k once i try to go lower it drops right to like 500 rpm and soon after dies.

Seems to run better when first started and issues worsen once warmed up

You guys think it's simply the air box?
    I tried spraying carb cleaner at the airbox boots and rpm seemed to increase slightly but hard to tell since the idle is so inconsistent

I would try sealing up any known leaks to start. One thing I find makes installing the airbox and boots easier, is to remove the bracket that holds up the rear end of the tank. This provideds a bit more room to maneuver the airbox, and might help with getting your current boot to seat.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Carbs are still dirty.. It happens. That why we tell noobs at carbs follow carbs101 when you think you're done do it again.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If the boot isn't seating right I'd get that sorted out first. I found it easiest to take out the air filter and shove your hand in there to make sure that it's all the way around and then push pretty hard to make sure that it's all the way forward.

My bike used to idle at 3500, and a couple things contributed to that. Dirty carbs first. Two of my pilot jets were completely stripped out and some metal shavings had to be in them. Replaced those and sprayed carb cleaner and our air compressor excessively through every passage. All the gaskets were replaced and the float needles were set to proper spec.

Then once we got the fresh carbs on the bike it was still idling around 2000, and we found that the throttle cable was snagged and wouldn't let the butterflies close all the way. Fixed that and it was back to perfect running condition.
        1993 Katana 600

Comment

Canned carb cleaner isn't how it's done. It always ends up having to reclean them properly. Follow carbs 101 and do it again..
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

I don't know if you're replying to me or not, but I'm not about to tear the bike apart when it runs perfect lol.
            1993 Katana 600

Comment

Pulled the carbs and lo and behold they're dirty again! ...one pilot jet was completely clogged another partially other two fine.

ordered new pilot jet plugs, old ones don't fit tight in the least. Didn't think this would be an issue but it was $13. Out of curiosity anyone know the purpose of these plugs?

Airbox appears to have been sealed by someone before me with some black shiny stuff (not quite rtv) and the boots are rough. pulled the trigger on a nicer airbox from ebay.

Originally posted by burninrock24 View Post
              If the boot isn't seating right I'd get that sorted out first. I found it easiest to take out the air filter and shove your hand in there to make sure that it's all the way around and then push pretty hard to make sure that it's all the way forward.

My bike used to idle at 3500, and a couple things contributed to that. Dirty carbs first. Two of my pilot jets were completely stripped out and some metal shavings had to be in them. Replaced those and sprayed carb cleaner and our air compressor excessively through every passage. All the gaskets were replaced and the float needles were set to proper spec.

Then once we got the fresh carbs on the bike it was still idling around 2000, and we found that the throttle cable was snagged and wouldn't let the butterflies close all the way. Fixed that and it was back to perfect running condition.
              When you say float needles do you mean float bowl height?
              Last edited by TheBlack7; 08-21-2015, 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Plugs help with pilot fuel metering. Needles are connected to the float, it is what stops fuel flow when the bowl fills.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Decided to do a valve adjustment while she's taken apart.
                  Would it be worth it to replace intake boot o rings? Bike has 16k miles

Comment

I would. Might as well get it out of the way while you're there
                    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Yes to the intake boot o-rings, because they wear out with age not use.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

However if the carbs keep getting dirty, you could have junk in the tank. Won't matter how often or how well you clean them, they'll keep clogging if you don't address that.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        Yes to the intake boot o-rings, because they wear out with age not use.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

However if the carbs keep getting dirty, you could have junk in the tank. Won't matter how often or how well you clean them, they'll keep clogging if you don't address that.
                        wouldn't the petcock filter stop any particles from making it through? Just looking through the filler the inside of the tank looks good but who knows...

Comment

Big stuff, sure. Little rust particles that cause major problems, no.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlack7 View Post
                            wouldn't the petcock filter stop any particles from making it through? Just looking through the filler the inside of the tank looks good but who knows...
                            It's not really a filter, it's more of a screen. I bet the bottom of the tank doesn't look too bad, but get an inspection mirror and take a look at the inside of the top of the tank. Unless the bike was stored in 100% awesome conditions I'll bet there's a ton of scale there.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              It's not really a filter, it's more of a screen. I bet the bottom of the tank doesn't look too bad, but get an inspection mirror and take a look at the inside of the top of the tank. Unless the bike was stored in 100% awesome conditions I'll bet there's a ton of scale there.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X