X

600 won't idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steves View Post
    It's not really a filter, it's more of a screen. I bet the bottom of the tank doesn't look too bad, but get an inspection mirror and take a look at the inside of the top of the tank. Unless the bike was stored in 100% awesome conditions I'll bet there's a ton of scale there.
    Ok will check that out. Thinking filling the tank with clr and soaking for a few days be sufficient?

Ps Thanks for all the help guys this forum is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlack7 View Post
      Ok will check that out. Thinking filling the tank with clr and soaking for a few days be sufficient?
      No POR-15 Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Probably ordering this soon. I lowsided the kat last week trying to dodge a racoon. It landed on the petcock side. since then i have cleaned the carbs twice and it continues idling inconsistently (usually around 5.5k rpm). I'm assuming the crash took all the crud from the tank and brought it all to the petcock side resulting in this problem

Comment

By "cleaned the carbs twice", do you mean you took the float bowls off and sprayed shit at them?

Comment

Over 3000RPM isn't a dirty carb issue, hung up/damaged linkage, stuck open enrichment valve, sticking cable(s). Something like that would be what I would be looking for.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Over 3000RPM isn't a dirty carb issue, hung up/damaged linkage, stuck open enrichment valve, sticking cable(s). Something like that would be what I would be looking for.
              I agree with this. I hadn't really thought about it, but a dirty carb won't idle that high.

Comment

Arsenic, i dissaembled the carbs completely aside from removing choke plunger things and seperating the carbs. I did use 2 cans of spray cleaner and compressed air

92xjunker, when you say enrichment valve, do you mean the choke.plunger things? I checked those for sticking and they seemed fine. Throttle doesn't appear to hanging up either but will verify this

Something muat be sticky because when i rev it up from 5.5k it will settle down lower sometimes, occasionally dropping down to 2.5-3k
                Last edited by TheBlack7; 09-25-2015, 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

yeah, he means the choke plunger things.

Comment

it was the throttle linkage. runs SOOO good now. thanks guys

Comment

Aren't you glad I showed up...
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

If 92xjunker hadn't mentioned that, I'd probably be bitching at you spraying stuff at your carbs for the next few posts. I'm not kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          Aren't you glad I showed up...
                          believe it or not i think removing, cleaning, and reinstalling carbs then starting the bike to see it idle at 5k AGAIN is up there with getting waterboarded or branded with a hot iron.

so yes! very glad!!

Comment

If 92xjunker hadn't mentioned that, I'd probably be bitching at you spraying stuff at your carbs for the next few posts. I'm not kidding.
                            Yes, yes he would...
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I know I know haha I half assed it but as of now my kat is my only transportation so i had to get it up and running in time for work! the looks i got sitting at a red light with bike stuck at 6k rpm next to an outdoor cafe were priceless though

Comment

Working...
                              X