Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

HELP HELP HELP! What did I do to my bike?!?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scotts View Post
    it is my understanding water won't eved go through some holes in a carb, so water may not leak and gas will.

just a thought

Scott
    I wondered about that. I don't like cutting the grass anyways...

Oh well, I'll know in a few minutes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't appear to be leaking. It runs. But...
    Now I've got white smoke.

Last edited by porschefan; 05-12-2013, 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I used the gas and carb cleaner to kill the grass in the cracks in the concrete drive. I like multipurposing things like that.

On to your issue. I went through a song and dance getting mine squared away. Had it in the garage and tinkered with it after getting the carbs off a couple of times and then just grit my teeth and separated them and boiled them out. First time stripping them and dipping multiple carbs. I have done many singles. So pictures and notes and I seem to be fine. I did the warm up in the garage and used the home made sync tool and got it all lined out. Before syncing with the tool it ran like crap. This was after following carbs 102 I have an 02 600, ( Many thanks to the folks creating this for their efforts) I did the visual sync and got her running and let it warm up and synced.A liter water bottle for spare fuel tank while syncing she purrs nice now. YOURS WILL TOO!

Oh I got ahead of myself. This past Friday I got my tags and such and took her out for a 20 mile spin. Put in a fresh tank of gas and she runs just fine now. Wow radial tires and more modern suspension does wonders for the ride.

Once you get your leakers fixed and carbs synced go for a spin she may just need some longer term warming up.

The white smoke may be leftovers from you hydrolocked escapades.

On another note: Where did you get the insert for the helmet in your avatar?
      Thanks

Scott
      Last edited by Scotts; 05-12-2013, 05:10 PM. Reason: add more confusion

Comment

I used the gas and carb cleaner to kill the grass in the cracks in the concrete drive. I like multipurposing things like that.

On to your issue. I went through a song and dance getting mine squared away. Had it in the garage and tinkered with it after getting the carbs off a couple of times and then just grit my teeth and separated them and boiled them out. First time stripping them and dipping multiple carbs. I have done many singles. So pictures and notes and I seem to be fine. I did the warm up in the garage and used the home made sync tool and got it all lined out. Before syncing with the tool it ran like crap. This was after following carbs 102 I have an 02 600, ( Many thanks to the folks creating this for their efforts) I did the visual sync and got her running and let it warm up and synced.A liter water bottle for spare fuel tank while syncing she purrs nice now. YOURS WILL TOO!

Oh I got ahead of myself. This past Friday I got my tags and such and took her out for a 20 mile spin. Put in a fresh tank of gas and she runs just fine now. Wow radial tires and more modern suspension does wonders for the ride.

Once you get your leakers fixed and carbs synced go for a spin she may just need some longer term warming up.

The white smoke may be leftovers from you hydrolocked escapades.

On another note: Where did you get the insert for the helmet in your avatar?
        Thanks

Scott
        Thanks. I did get it running. As for the smoke, it's mostly cleared up. I doubt I did a perfect job syncing it, as the idle never really settled in for me to do so. I'm told that is a vacuum leak, but I couldn't find it.

As a side note, I noticed that putting my hand over the air intake made the revs jump from 1300-1400 to 4k-5k. Was I leaning out the mixture, or somehow affecting the venturi? (Less volume of air, stronger depression, more fuel atomized, higher revs?)

I also just realized my bike has a PAIR system even though it's not a California bike. As soon as figure out what it does I'll know if I need to troubleshoot it.

It's still running about the same as before though. So either I:
        1) did everything wrong;
        2) expect a smoothness out of the motor it is incapable of;
        3) have not found the problem area.

I'm tired of chasing my tail and not being able to ride my machine. Anybody in central Ohio have a properly tuned Katana I can come look at and listen to?

As for the breath deflector, I believe it is made by HJC themselves. I got it at Iron Pony, they still carry them. I don't know the part number though.

Comment

I went ahead and made a video of it Idling. The phone clips a lot of frequencies from the recording, but you get the general idea.

Give it a listen, share your wisdom 'O tamers of wild 'Kats.

Most boring video ever. Recording of idle and throttle behavior of a 2006 Katana 750 after carb cleaning and adjustment for peer review.Notes: Older gas. ...

Comment

Going by the lumpy idle and slightly (more) rattly engine, I would say your valves need adjusting.

I'm sure you're supposed to check your valves before doing a carb sync, you'll probably have to resync them again if your valves are out of spec.

Comment

Originally posted by gfernie View Post
              Going by the lumpy idle and slightly (more) rattly engine, I would say your valves need adjusting.

I'm sure you're supposed to check your valves before doing a carb sync, you'll probably have to resync them again if your valves are out of spec.
              That's OK, the sync was the easiest part. I'd originally planned on doing the valves too, but backed off when I realized I'm not god's gift to combustion engines.

I didn't take pictures, but from the back side of the engine looking through the intakes I could see two of the four valves per cylinder. One of which looked dirty, the other spotless for each pair. I'm now considering removing the PAIR system too.

Alright, I'm looking for a consensus folks. Post up with your thoughts, especially on valve adjustment.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I would give that thing a go for a couple of miles. Is your tank as empty as you gas gage looks? That is not much gas.

If it is dry after holding at least a 1/2 tank of gas with the petcock on run I would not have an issue riding that around.

Yes, it has been my experience that setting the valves will affect the carb sync somewhat. You only have about 6k miles on it? That thing is new. Mine has 32K on it.

The increase you saw by placing your hand over the intake was just like a choke, cut the air down and dump in more fuel. Lots of things happen on these bikes when you tinker with the air intake. It will die when you hold your hand on it a few more seconds. Unless you do have a major vacuum leak.

You have done a lot to your bike it will work out.

Thanks for the info on the breath deflector. I have an HJC modular helmet, the chin bar flips up. I'll give them a look.

Ride that thing a little and clear the cobwebs.

Scott
                Last edited by Scotts; 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I would give that thing a go for a couple of miles. Is your tank as empty as you gas gage looks? That is not much gas.

If it is dry after holding at least a 1/2 tank of gas with the petcock on run I would not have an issue riding that around.

Scott
                  Yeah, it was darn near bone dry. (I pumped the gas out before I removed it.). I don't follow you on the 1/2 tank of gas comment though.

The deflector was less than $15. It's also warmer when it's cold, and helps keep air away from my eyes. I have horrendous allergies.

And thanks for the kinds words. Originally I was going to ride it to the rally this year. (I've lost 45 lbs myself getting ready) But since the trip is not in the budget this year, I figured I could at least get the bike running real nice instead.

And there ARE other issues with the bike.

1st gear seems... weak. It's hard to explain. I figure I'm going to have to adjust or rebuild the clutch.

The enricher (choke) circuit seems like it's either on or off. It's clean and adjusted, so is that just how Katana's are? It really bothers me.

And before it bogged down around 4k rpm. This time I plan on marking the throttle and observing the behavior at the transitions between idle / slow / main / etc circuits. (Now that I have an idea how the thing works).

Comment

Originally posted by porschefan View Post
                    As a side note, I noticed that putting my hand over the air intake made the revs jump from 1300-1400 to 4k-5k. Was I leaning out the mixture, or somehow affecting the venturi? (Less volume of air, stronger depression, more fuel atomized, higher revs?)
                    Less air = making it richer. That would tend to suggest you still have issues with the pilot circuit being dirty or a vacuum leak. It would also explain why the choke / enrichment circuit doesn't operate smoothly. But it doesn't "hang" when you rev it.??? When tuned correctly, blocking the air will cause it to stutter and eventually die. Are all you header pipes getting equally hot, equally fast?

With so few miles and so clean, it shouldn't have any major issues. Adjust valves. Confirm you have cleaned and re-assembled the carbs correctly. Check for vacuum leaks - again. Fresh fuel. Sync it. I doubt there is anything wrong with your clutch. Adjust the cable correctly and get it tuned properly and your "clutch issue" should disappear.
                    Last edited by TRPUT; 05-13-2013, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Sounds like you getting close to having it running ...

Comment

• Bouncy idle is ALWAYS an air leak/vacuum leak.

If it was my personal bike... that small bounce would probably not be enough for me to tear the bike apart chasing it if that was the only issue.

If I was in there doing other things already, I'd chase it down and fix.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Originally posted by porschefan View Post
                          Yeah, it was darn near bone dry. (I pumped the gas out before I removed it.). I don't follow you on the 1/2 tank of gas comment though.

The enricher (choke) circuit seems like it's either on or off. It's clean and adjusted, so is that just how Katana's are? It really bothers me.

And before it bogged down around 4k rpm. This time I plan on marking the throttle and observing the behavior at the transitions between idle / slow / main / etc circuits. (Now that I have an idea how the thing works).

Mine made it to the shop and back the first time today. No issues.

1/2 tank of gas would test the integrity of your fuel system without going out in the morning and finding 5 gallons of gas on the floor in the garage. if you had a failure of some kind.

The choke on mine is a bit touchy. 1/2 was plenty this morning and none this afternoon.

It has carbs I don't think mine is going to be rock steady like a computer controlled injected new vehicle.

Your video could have been of my bike only mine is blue and a 600.

Ride it like you stole it.

Have you downloaded the repair manual from the wiki? It is handy.

Scott

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotts View Post
                            Mine made it to the shop and back the first time today. No issues.

1/2 tank of gas would test the integrity of your fuel system without going out in the morning and finding 5 gallons of gas on the floor in the garage. if you had a failure of some kind.

The choke on mine is a bit touchy. 1/2 was plenty this morning and none this afternoon.

It has carbs I don't think mine is going to be rock steady like a computer controlled injected new vehicle.

Your video could have been of my bike only mine is blue and a 600.

Ride it like you stole it.

Have you downloaded the repair manual from the wiki? It is handy.

Scott
                            Gotcha on the gas tank. A good idea too.

My ego says "Make it PERFECT!" But, that's not really what a bike is for is it?

I'm going to explore the vacuum leak while everything is off of it. I'll get deeper into the choke and throttle / clutch issues once that is handled.

I'm back in high gear on it though, my buddy called me an hour ago and told me he just bought a bike. FZ6R. I prefer the kat, but EFI would be soooo nice right now.

I'll have back on the road soon one way or the other.

Comment

• You mean if there was nothing wrong with the EFI right? Cause otherwise EFI would be soooo expensive right now. You can't fix that yourself, well you could try but failure would ensue.

Comment

• Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                                You mean if there was nothing wrong with the EFI right? Cause otherwise EFI would be soooo expensive right now. You can't fix that yourself, well you could try but failure would ensue.
                                What's wrong with EFI? Do you prefer carbureted motors? (If so why?)

Oh, and I think I sold my Ninja tonight. So between it maybe being my only bike, and my buddy having a new FZ6R... The kat must be sorted out. I mean I rode my buzzy little 250 in the cold tonight and it was smoother than the Kat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                                X