Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

HELP HELP HELP! What did I do to my bike?!?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    Well, when you do give up, I have a rebuilt set that doesn't leak. Jus' sayin'
    Haha; yeah. Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. I'd rather send you mine with a note that says "WTF?"

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I'll give you a core refund for your old set. You buy the rebuilt set for $395 with free shipping. Send me yours, I'll refund $50 of your original payment as soon as I receive them. Feel free to include a WTF? note.

hey, in that picture you have measuring the floats, are you measuring with the carbs straight upside down?
      Last edited by arsenic; 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'll give you a core refund for your old set. You buy the rebuilt set for $395 with free shipping. Send me yours, I'll refund $50 of your original payment as soon as I receive them. Feel free to include a WTF? note.

hey, in that picture you have measuring the floats, are you measuring with the carbs straight upside down?
        No they are closer to 90 deg sideways than anything. I've got them at a 15 or 20 degree angle so that the floats rest solidly on the float needle spring, but don't compress it.

Comment

Ok, cool

Comment

The float is not catching or binding on anything, so arsenic I think you nailed it a week ago. The float valve is just letting gas by. I'm going to order a new seat and float needle tomorrow morning.

I set all of the floats the same and have checked and checked and checked #4, but it's the only one giving me grief. I just tried setting the height at 14mm with no improvement. I'll tear it apart again tomorrow and set it at like 20mm or something stupid and see if it seals at all.

Thanks again to everyone for their time and suggestions today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

See that's why I take my bike to the shop and let them have a head ache ... But I hope you get it solved your getting closer from what I've read .. Good luck

Comment

Not everyone can afford that...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by porschefan View Post

Um... is that the o-ring that seals the float needle seat? You replaced that right? Cause if not, that is where part of your leak is. And nothing you do with the needle will stop that leak.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by KatOwner600 View Post
                    See that's why I take my bike to the shop and let them have a head ache ... But I hope you get it solved your getting closer from what I've read .. Good luck
                    Thanks.

Originally posted by xredjokerx View Post
                    Not everyone can afford that...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
                    Yeah, I priced it out at like $500-$600. I honestly thought learning how to maintain and adjust the carbs should be part of owning a 'Kat long term. I'm just glad I didn't try adjusting the valves...

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Um... is that the o-ring that seals the float needle seat? You replaced that right? Cause if not, that is where part of your leak is. And nothing you do with the needle will stop that leak.

Krey
                    Yes it's the o-ring; no I don't have a replacement at the moment.

You can see from this profile shot that there was a bit of flash from the mold process sticking out.

I took a utility knife and trimmed the flash off as seen here. It's not really round in cross section anymore. I figure over time it would shrink and could cause an issue, but for now it is holding tight. (When I blow down the line it doesn't leak.)

Last edited by porschefan; 05-12-2013, 08:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

$60 for an oem float valve assembly? Yeah right! I'll dig an old one out of the trash. I wasn't gentle taking them out, so I guess it's time to "polish a turd" as we say around the shop.

And nobody but K&L seem to make aftermarket units. I guess the BSR mikuni's weren't too popular.

Comment

Keyster does to:
                        Keyster carb kits

Comment

Keyster does to:
                          Keyster carb kits
                          Thanks. I saw were you had recommended them in another thread, but it doesn't look like they hadve my model in stock. The K&L's are the same price anyways.

Although I'll buy an OEM assembly after the amount of time I've put into this. I just won't admit it.

Comment

Did you click the link? Cause they are in stock, and they are for your bike.

Comment

Did you click the link? Cause they are in stock, and they are for your bike.
                              Ah, they must have JUST updated!

I put the best looking of the old seats in some boiling dip, scrubbed it, swapped o-rings and reinstalled with an old float needle.

I also filled it with water this time. (If I dump anymore gas in the yard my home is going to be declared a superfund site)

And now it doesn't leak. Happy, but unsatisfied. I'm concerned that the other float assemblies won't hold up. At least next time I'll know what to look for.

And there wasn't any obvious damage on the new seat and needle.

Comment

Originally posted by porschefan View Post
                                Ah, they must have JUST updated!

I put the best looking of the old seats in some boiling dip, scrubbed it, swapped o-rings and reinstalled with an old float needle.

I also filled it with water this time. (If I dump anymore gas in the yard my home is going to be declared a superfund site)

And now it doesn't leak. Happy, but unsatisfied. I'm concerned that the other float assemblies won't hold up. At least next time I'll know what to look for.

And there wasn't any obvious damage on the new seat and needle.

it is my understanding water won't eved go through some holes in a carb, so water may not leak and gas will.

just a thought

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X