Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

HELP HELP HELP! What did I do to my bike?!?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't confident that I could get 2.5 turns exactly on each screw while the carburetors were on the bike, so I pulled them off. I figured I'd blow down the fuel line and got bubbles out of the... what ever the press-fit needle is.

Anyways, I'm double checking the floats. #4 is 13.5mm, so no worries there.
    Oh Master of Carburetors, Lord Arsenic, is there anything specific I should look for on the float needle or seat? They are new, so I didn't really check them for deformities when I put them in.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

The way the clip is made for the needle, it seems to sit under the tang for the float. Could this get in the way? My measurements are OK.

N/M, it clears the clips fine.

Attached Files
      Last edited by porschefan; 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Look what was on leaky #4 float needle?

Attached Files

Comment

Hydro locked it AGAIN. The number 4 carb is leaking fuel like a mofo. This crap ain't rocket science, what the hell am I missing that I keep running around in circles?

Comment

Arsenic, it's this one. It normally has a rubber "T" between the two carburetors that attaches to a hose that runs down the air box. It is supposed to supply calm air for the pressure differential inside a CV carb. Or something, I dunno.

When I opened the tap on the remote fuel bottle It started dripping gas off of carbs # 3 & 4. This is at least one place it is leaking from for sure.

Attached Files
            Last edited by porschefan; 05-11-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

No, that's a where a T goes for a vent hose. The vent hoses just drape over the air box, they aren't connected to anything. The only time gas pours out of there is if your float heights are WAY off.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                No, that's a where a T goes for a vent hose. The vent hoses just drape over the air box, they aren't connected to anything. The only time gas pours out of there is if your float heights are WAY off.
                Well I may not be explaining it right, but we're talking about the same thing. I can check the float again... nothing else would let extra fuel out of the carb, right?

Comment

Nope, this is all I do. I'm flat out telling you. The only time fuel leaks out of there is if the float heights are WAY off. It happened to me one time. On a set of pre 98 carbs. I installed a new pilot jet plug in the carb, but the old one had fallen in the carb. When the carbs were fully completed, it was leaking there because the old pilot jet plug was holding the float open. It has to be that far off for it to happen.

Comment

I'll send some pics when I open it back up. When I had it apart this morning I checked the float heights. When I swapped the old float needle back in I adjusted it too. I think the spring in the bottom of it was weaker or a different length than the new one because I could see the height difference pretty easily.

When I adjust these, I'm putting the whole assembly at an angle so that the float rests against the float needle, and in turn the spring, but is not compressing the spring.

Height adjusted to 13mm.

And don't misunderstand me, I believe you. I'm more concerned that I haven't got this right yet. This has been humbling and maddening at the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yeah, you're adjusting them correctly with tilting the assembly and what not. What about the needle valve seat on carb #4. It's new, so the o-ring should be fine. That's the only other thing I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Yeah, you're adjusting them correctly with tilting the assembly and what not. What about the needle valve seat on carb #4. It's new, so the o-ring should be fine. That's the only other thing I can think of.
                        I didn't actually pull the sear this morning, just made sure the screw was tight. I'll pull it too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

It didn't seem to be seeping around the funky o-ring, since it was leaking quick enough to puddle on the ground. The height adjustment was good, although the float itself has about 1/2mm difference from side to side. Nothing jammed inside. I pulled the slide and diaphragm, and looked down some of the (what is the right word?) Bores or channels in the casting. The old float needle seems to seat much better, so it's going back in again.

If the only thing that can let fuel seep out is an improperly adjusted float, and I have good, adjusted floats and valves, I give up. It's fscking dwarven magic.

Attached are a bunch of pictures, I'm better with a lens than a wrench.

Comment

Re-assemble but before you reinstall on the motor try this. Flip the carbs upside down and blow through the gas supply hoses. No air should pass. If it does then you have a leaking float needle. You can actually do this before you put the bowls on. If it doesn't let air pass, install to the motor and hook up fuel lines to tank and fill bowls. Now blow through the lines again, no air should pass. If it continues to fill your crank it has too be your float heights set too low.
                            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                              Re-assemble but before you reinstall on the motor try this. Flip the carbs upside down and blow through the gas supply hoses. No air should pass. If it does then you have a leaking float needle. You can actually do this before you put the bowls on. If it doesn't let air pass, install to the motor and hook up fuel lines to tank and fill bowls. Now blow through the lines again, no air should pass. If it continues to fill your crank it has too be your float heights set too low.
                              I've done both, though I appreciate the suggestions.

(That's why I swapped back to the old float needle for #4, it would let a little air past if I set the float down gently.)

Should I set it higher than 13mm then? That's what all my reference sources say to do, I included the pictures to show exactly where I was measuring that 13mm. It has stock jets and the like.

Anyways, it was weird, because I bench tested it and it didn't leak fuel. Then I put it back on the bike, and huge puddle!

Keep throwing them at me guys, I have a +7 dwarf slaying sword. (Hint, it's a Katana I'll get this eventually.

Comment

Well, when you do give up, I have a rebuilt set that doesn't leak. Jus' sayin'

Comment

Working...
                                X