X

My gauges are going crazy!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My gauges are going crazy!

I just removed the factory headlight and gauge bracket off my bike and made a small bracket out of aluminum I had laying around. The bracket goes off my clip on locating bolts straight to the tach and fuel gauge. When I'm riding my tach constantly jumps by like 1000rpm and the fuel gauges is going crazy. Just like a mechanical fuel gauge on a snowmobile. Normally it takes a good 10 seconds for it to adjust to the fuel level. The connections themselves are good. Is it because they are metal to metal? Looking at the way the gauges mounted in the factory gauge pod they never touched metal to metal. They had rubber grommets where the studs went through the metal bracket. Should I try to isolate my gauge body from the bracket?
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
    2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
    1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Yep. insulate. Sounds like you're grounding out the guages.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
      Yep. insulate. Sounds like you're grounding out the guages.
      That's what I figured. I'll have to think of a way to isolate them.
      1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors

Comment

What about small ruber hose(like from fish tank air hose) and plastic washers.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

They aren't mounted using the studs on the bottom like from the factory. They are mounted using a band style clamp around the body. If it came down too it I could remove them, put a layer of tape around them, and put them back on. They are only like this for a few months anyways. This winter the bike is being tore down and completely redone.

Comment

You have a pre, right?

Does it only do it when you're going above 50mph or so?

My tach does that same thing when I remove the front fairings/windshield. The wind pushes into the water drain holes and moves the needle around.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBrant View Post
              You have a pre, right?

Does it only do it when you're going above 50mph or so?

My tach does that same thing when I remove the front fairings/windshield. The wind pushes into the water drain holes and moves the needle around.
              Now that you say it....yes, it seems to do it at speed. My gas gauge is all the time though. I did a little experiment and took the gauges off and isolated them with some tape. We'll see if it fixes it. I need to go find some rubber washers one night after work.

Comment

Working...
              X