X

high idle & s little black smoke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high idle & s little black smoke

please help me .... last year i completed a jet upgrade .... ran great no problems ... this year i fired it up and is running like hammered dog SH!t... idles around 4000 for a few mins then comes down to 1500 then stalls also puffs very light black smoke at high rpms 6000 ish ......why the sudden change what happened and what can i do to fix it?

sounds like jet cleaning time. maybe seafoam to start with fresh gas.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

ok update ... still running poorly only idles at 3000 and above but will start and no more black smoke

nut idle screw seems to do nothing not sure whats up

Comment

Clean the pilot jets, check for vacuum leaks. Make sure the drain hose on the air box has a cap on it.

Comment

Fresh fuel is a easy place to start.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I agree fresh fuel also make sure the vacuum slides are not sticking causing the rich mixture.
            I would look into cleaning the carbs.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

cleaned the carbs today and nothing ... could the floats have anything to do with it .. of clip adjust of the factory pro needles?

Comment

If the floats are set too low it was cause it to run rich, but if you have that jet kit you might have a different level other than OEM setting.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

At my whits end ... gettin ready to dump in the woods

checked that today ... opened the carbs for a 5th time took it completely apart and had it cleaned ( like sonic clean type thing ) so its sparkling ... then got a digital micrometer and checked the carb height its 14.5mm - 15mm ( factory pro recommends 14mm) but cant see how .5mm is gonna f it up like this (would bringing the level up closer to stock 13mm help this? )...the clips are set a 2 from the top and nothing

SIDE SYMPTOMS========================
                  starts but revs to 3000 or above

if i put it on prime to fill the bowls after carb clean it floods the engine (this will be the 2nd time i drain the oil) but i hope i fixed that with the cleaning and float check etc?

Comment

Your carb boots are not sealing.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

just to make sure i know whats goin on the carb boots are the big rubber things that hold the needle that you can access through the top? if so today i cranked the hell out of em ... dont know if that will fix it ? please advise

Comment

Either your floats are sticking preventing them from shutting off fuel, your floats are way to low, or the needle seats aren't sealing.

Comment

The carb boots are the big rubber seals that seal the carbs to the airbox. Still betting that's your problem...or a too tight throttle cable...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

ok will check the boots tonight ..... floats seem to be working fine ( may be low? their at 14.5mm - 15mm factory pro recommends 14mm) and as far as the needles how do i check that their sealing?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonleahey View Post
                              ok will check the boots tonight ..... floats seem to be working fine ( may be low? their at 14.5mm - 15mm factory pro recommends 14mm) and as far as the needles how do i check that their sealing?

Simple check on floats.

Fill the bowls and fuel line.

Clean the ends of the fuel line.

Blow on the fuel lines trying to push the fuel through.

If you can blow air through, the needles are not seated and there is an issue. Listen for bubbles, or look for gas flowing out.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X