X

high idle & s little black smoke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jasonleahey View Post
    ill give em another look someone earlie told me to blow in the incomin fuel line and listen for bubbles ( i didnt hear any but that doesnt mean anything) any other way to check or look for on the needles themselves?

You can just flip them over while there out an blow through the fuel lines. You don't even need the bowls on.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yup check carb boots. Sounds like you got a vacuum leak. Make sure tight. May have loosened after sitting up. Also check vacuum caps on top of carbs are on. There are little o rings under the sync nipples that have a tendency to fall off during assembly. These do make a vacuum problem. Also check diaphragms for damage. I had my carbs cleaned and rebuilt at a suzuki shop. 600 dollars later they send it to me running worse than when it went in. Startup but smokes and idles at about 3000. Send it back they check carbs again and suggest that I need valves adjusted. I had already done that 100 miles before. Well I get it home and inspect the carbs. Checked vacuum caps and o rings and sure enough 2 o rings were missing. Replaced re synced carbs and adjust mixture. Runs great now. I like the sonic cleaner but make sure to blow compressed air and carb cleaner through jets just to be sure all channels are open.

Comment

The dealership mechanics missed two o-rings? Sounds like they graduated with flying colors from MMI to me.

Comment

ok... semi good news ... replaced the float needle "BLACK RING" and it runs alot better no backfire etc....but still wont idle right ( if i give it a touch of the choke it idles fine but can give it any gas or it chokes out .. but if i take choke off i can give it gas runs great but doesnt idle worth a d@mn) idle screw seems to have little effect (either chokes out or runs up to 2500 - 3000 rpms )

so im at 2 1/4 turns out on a/f and new needle o rings

Comment

Chokes out meaning black smoke? By pulling the choke out a tad it runs better sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. Maybe you are using the term "choke out" incorrectly?
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

sorry by choke out i meant the it stalls ( sputters out) like it isnt gettin enough gas.... how do i fix this?

Comment

Clean the carbs, the idle circuit is dirty. Make sure the plugs are clean too, fouled plugs can make it not idle too because the spark is so weak.

Comment

idle circuit ? whats that ... ive cleaned the F out of the carbs but mabye i missed somthin

work on cleanin the plugs their black from all the work but only a week old...

would the spark plugs have anything to do with the high rpms ?
                  Last edited by jasonleahey; 03-27-2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

idle circuit ? whats that ... ive cleaned the F out of the carbs but mabye i missed somthin
                    Did you take out the a/f screws located on the bottom of the carbs?
                    work on cleanin the plugs their black from all the work but only a week old...You can heat them up with a propane torch to help clean them

would the spark plugs have anything to do with the high rpms ?
                    No

Comment

Did you take out the a/f screws located on the bottom of the carbs?

no i took off the brass cap exposing the screw but thats it do i need to break it down more?

Comment

Jason if you didn't remove the pilot screw then you have not thoroughly clean your carbs!
                        soaking the carbs just loosens the dirt but you need to remove the dirt/carbon will say a carb cleaner compress air ect. now take a look at these 2 jets, ask yourself why are they being looked through a light?? because we need to confirm that every thing will work, because it no fun to keep taking stuff apart, right!
                        On another note if it turns out that your jest are clean then I would suspect the seal at the intake tube if you loose vacuum there (keeping it simple) then the vacuum wants to cancel it's self out rather than have to work hard to draw up the gas draw in air to mix and atomize your fuel! It's just easier to escape in to atmosphere..
                        Attached Files

Comment

now the 3 jets in between the floats are clean ive checked them every time i open them ... which has been way too many times .... cleaned with air carb cleaner etc ... but is there another jet under the a/f screw?

I dont know im no expert at all i just wanna ride ahhahah

sorry to keep asking but where is the intake tube? is that the black thought that goes into the engine?

Sorry i guess i should add the high rpm doesnt happen till the engine is warm (and even when it is warm takes a few seconds of fuel flow to kick in ) ... dont know if that means anything
                          Last edited by jasonleahey; 03-28-2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

now the 3 jets in between the floats are clean ive checked them every time i open them ... which has been way too many times .... cleaned with air carb cleaner etc ... but is there another jet under the a/f screw?

I dont know im no expert at all i just wanna ride ahhahah

sorry to keep asking but where is the intake tube? is that the black thought that goes into the engine?

Sorry i guess i should add the high rpm doesnt happen till the engine is warm (and even when it is warm takes a few seconds of fuel flow to kick in ) ... dont know if that means anything

Not an EXACT diagram of your carbs, but close enough...

Look at #12. That is the A/F screw. That screw has a long pointed tip that screws into the pilot ciruit. If that tip or that chamber is dirty, then it doesn't matter how clean your pilot jets are.... you still have a flow issue for fuel through the pilot system.

The pilot system is your idle.

The one big difference on this diagram from your carbs... your carbs have plugged off pilot jets (black rubber plug) and the fuel is actually pulled from the emulsion area by a cross over tube. Fuel flows from the bowl, into the main jet, into the emulsion tube area, cross over to the pilot jet, through the pilot circuit, then into the engine.

If the channel between the emulsion area (under the main jet) into the pilot jet isn't clean... no fuel is flowing.

If the A/F screws are not clean... no fuel is flowing.

High idle, or hanging idle generally means you have some, but not enough fuel flowing though the pilot system. Clean or adjust to increase.

Won't start at all, won't run without choke, or won't start due to fuel starved?... somewhere that path is blocked.

Krey
                            Last edited by Kreylyn; 03-28-2011, 09:01 AM.
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

OH F ME ... ok my bad yea i didnt take that out but will get on it tonight .. just downloaded the carb clean 102 and will go through it step by step .. sorry for the confusion and stupidity on my part

Comment

Good post Kerylyn, the intake is what you connect your carbs to, where that tube meets the engine there is a gasket could be an o-ring not sure on your model but likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X