INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Matt nice

Comment

• Ok, thanks. I used some sheet metal off of a car fender I had laying around seems to work ok.

Comment

• NOTE...

When swapping a b12 motor into a 98+ kat:

DO YOUR VALVE ADJUSTMENT BEFORE YOU MOUNT THE MOTOR TO THE FRAME!

Once the motor is in the frame you won't be able to get the valve cover off without dropping the engine out.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

• Or unbolting the front engine mount bolts and hinging it down .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• I was thinking about trying that, but on the 98+, you have the front mount bolts, and then 2 in the rear, one on top of the alternator and one below it, So I'd have to unbolt the front ones, and one of the rear ones, I thought it'd be too much weight for bolt? no?
            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill
            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

• my cuz has a 93 kat 600 we put in a 99 600 kat motor the clutch cable is too long do i need a use a 99 cable ? i didnt want to buy it if i didnt need it?? please let me know???

Comment

• so my '93 kat 750 engine is pretty much dead... cylinder 4 is totally washed out from running without firing for so long.

anyone know what i should do to for the cheapest engine to get my bike up and running? i don't really care about speed, and i don't have the mechanical skills/tools to be able to swap it myself.

the mechanic who has my bike now quoted me 1300 for a new kat 750 engine + install... anyone know if i could get away with a 600 in a 750 frame (i know it seems dumb, but i'm a poor college student, lol)?

and, if it will work, would it be cheaper or would it cost about the same and be pretty much pointless to not go for the 750?

i don't really care about engine sizes (the 3 cylindered 750 i was using was fast enough, lol, cuz i'm still relatively new (only have like 2k mi under my belt)), i just want the cheapest, brand new motor that will fit in my bike and make it ridable again...

edit: there's also someone who can sell me an '83 GS750 engine for $500 plus shipping, but I have no idea if it'll fit (easily) or not.

Comment

• The GS motor will NOT fit.

You want either a GSF 750, early GSXR (oil cooled), Katana 600, Bandit 600, Bandit 1200, or GSXR 1127.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Also to add to my list if you are keeping the katana's exhaust then you must swap the oil pans and pick up tubes.

Comment

• question

I have a 2005 Kat 600 will all these motor fit my fram also?

Comment

• Should .

Comment

• Ok question about the CDI:

What difference would the bandit CDI make if I swap out my 05 600 CDI for the one that is supposed to go with the 02 B12?

I mean, the b12 ran with the kat CDI, what would be difference if I switched?

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                          18v Rigid Drill

Comment

• First of all, thanks for all the information, it's all been helpful. However, I haven't been able to find much information on the swapping of california models. I started with a 93 750 cali edition, and swapped in an 02 750, which isn't cali edition. It doesn't have the air suction system originally on my bike, so I don't know what to do with the system.

I could probably remove the whole thing, but there's still a hose that connects to the carbs and to the petcock. I'm not sure that I want to leave that hose open at the T right underneath the gas tank. Anyone know how I might go about at least covering up part of the air suction system? Thanks.

Comment

• The pre has hoses coming out of the BOTTOM of the carbs that go to t's and the canister (dunno if the 98+ is any different ) . Gotta plug THEM lines . I squeezed something in the lines themselves after removing them from the carbs ( I think I used silicone , but that's probably not great to use around fuel ...), then wrapped tape around the ends . The line from the carb to petcock you don't wanna mess with .

Comment

• I just bought a 96 600 with a 750 engine in it. I'm still learning [everything] about the Katana. I'm not sure that my bike has the 750 oil cooler in it though. Is there any way of telling which is which? Also will the 600 cooler really make the bike overheat to the point bad things can happen? (I WILL get a 750 cooler whenever I can find one, but I want to know if I can ride the bike in the meantime). Also the bike is running now, so should I worry about the carbs or anything else? Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X