X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

I've installed a few different engines into Katana 600 frames. The following engines fit DIRECTLY and EASILY into any 89-02 600 or 750 Kat frame:

98+ Kat 600
    98+ Kat 750
    GSXR 1100 (the old 1127 motor)
    Bandit 1200
    Bandit 600
    Early GSXR 750's

A few notes on the above:
    You'll want to use a 600 frame instead of a 750 as it's cheaper to insure!
    On the 89-97 ones, they are both the same, except for the rear portion,
    sort of like what some other bikes call a subframe. The swing arms
    are 1-1/2" longer on the 750’s.
    You may have to adapt or use the frames front engine bolt clamps, or the engine’s front
    bolt clamps, but one or the other will almost always work.
    I have not yet played with any 03 or 04 Kats, so I don’t know about them but I suspect
    they are the exact same frame set up, so those engines would work for those bikes also.

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR/PAY ATTENTION TO

OIL COOLERS
    Always use a 750 oil cooler with a 750, an 1100 with an 1100, etc. If you use a smaller oil cooler, like your old Kat 600 one with a 750 engine, you’ll overheat her! The oil cooler MUST match or exceed the stock one for the engine. For early model Kats, you can either use a 750 oil cooler from an early Kat in your early 600, or fab or modify some lower tabs to fit that early Kat frame. The lower mounting tabs on the 600 oil coolers are different than the early 750 ones. On the Bandit into the 02 600, I used a 750 oil cooler from a Kat, and let the bottom hang loose sort of. Bolt it tight up top and bend the cooler out a bit to clear those big pipes you’ll need!

CDI & WIRING HARNESS
    If the CDI from the new engine will plug into the existing harness on the bike, use it! If not, you may opt to change out the wiring harness, (some cases) or use the frame’s CDI (some cases). Never hurts to change out the wiring harness to a newer one (if you have an 89-97 Kat)….those old wires get fried after a lot of use. You can also switch up to a 1997 one and avoid differences – usually much less wear & tear. Be careful about using ANY wiring harness other than a Katana one. Think of it this way: Your wiring harness does not know what engine it’s mated up with – it will still work like a Kat engine! On 98+ wiring harnesses, don’t’ worry about the TPS for those newer carbs.

CARBURETORS
    I tend to think you always have to use the carbs that are with the engine. One exception to this I’ve found: When switching a 98+ Kat engine into a early Kat, I use the early Kat’s carbs, as the 98+ carbs have to have that TPS to work right! The pre 98 wiring harnesses don’t have it!

EXHAUSTS
    Always must use a system matched to the engine. On the Bandit 1200, I’ve used a system from a GSXR 1100, but I had to heat tape the pipes to keep them from burning through the plastic! Also, I had to carve out the bell pans AND the inner fairing pieces to allow clearance. None of this shows,though.

ALTERNATORS
    I like to use the alternator that goes with the wiring harness. I don’t like to try & force an old system to deal with a new or different output. Stay with the plug type, too! On the 1200 Bandit engine into a Kat, you have to change out the actual drive gear on the alternator after you remove the both. Tough, but doable!

SPROCKETS & CHAIN
    Now is a REALLY good time to change out that front sprocket. Might as well change the rear one too, and how about that chain? Hate to screw up a good transplant with a used chain. Saved $100 and ruined a good upgrade? No thanks, pass me that new chain please!
    Be careful to use the correct tooth count. Putting a 750 engine into a 600? I like to use the newer stock 750 set up of 14/47.
    When I put a Bandit 1200 into a 600 Kat, I go UP a tooth in front, and here’s why: The Bandit is a REALLY STRONG low end torque engine, ie: plenty of low end power, but known to sort of run out of legs on the top end. I solved this by going up a tooth in the front and DOWN to a 45 in the rear! Still has all the low end power you’ll ever need, and now has TONS of top end! WELL OVER 150 MPH.

SWING ARMS
    I really like to use the 750 ones……that extra 1-1/2” is well worth the swap out time and expense, especially if you are going to install an 1100 or 1200 engine – you’ll need the extra swing arm! Grease those bearing points (ALL of them) real good. Make sure they are all loose inside and freely spinning or replace them! Don’t forget to lay the chain over the swing arm BEFORE you install it if you are using a stock chain as they have no master link!

OTHER
    VENT BOX
    On the Bandit 1200 into a 2002 600 , the rectangular vent box that handles the blow off or blow by excess air and fumes, (usually goes into the airbox to be recirculated), located directly on top of the head: This will need to be changed out to a lower model, like the 89-97 ones. Bolts right on in place, but will need to be routed out a bit to allow correct air flow. Also, you will have to carve out the cross member that supports the tank. I cut about the lower ½ out for the width of this vent box.

AIR BOX
    I almost always use the airbox on the Kats, as it sort of acts like a little miniature version of a turbine as it re-circulates the spent fumes from the top head vent box back thru the carbs! Fuel enriched air! I have used K&N air pod filters with a vent filter for the vent box. I like them, but only for the really higher performance motors: Motors that have had some work done to them. In the case of the 1200, I went with pods to avoid having to deal with whether the air box would fit or not, plus I wanted to extra performance of the pods in conjunction with the jet kit and the exhaust set up I’m using.

PROBLEM AREAS
    Only one I’ve found so far:
    When using a Bandit motor on a newer Kat, you won’t have a speedo pick up unless you have one fabricated by a machine shop. It works off the shaft inside the sprocket cover, and the Bandit shaft has no opening or threads for the bolt. Don’t even try & drill it – it’s case hardened steel!
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Thanks for the info Keith. Answers many of the various questions people have asked over the years all in one place! Good write...pin this for sure.

Comment

Re: INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Originally posted by Special K
      Bandit 1200
      Early GSXR 750's
      Q: which of those three engines has the most torque, which has the most peak HP?

Just curious...
      Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Great How To

I was able to swap out my pre98 600 with a bad transmission for a 98+ 600 engine following your advice. Thanks. It's like a whole new bike.
        '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

You know i love the idea of putting a B-12 engine i n a Kat...but i don't have to do that...

i Have a B-12 engine in my B-12...but i love the Torque...i love the Power...but i wqill wake it up next year with a few engine mods ...

Comment

By the way Keith I decided to keep the 771 I built. Work starts next month on the transplant.......MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Comment

Thats great info Special...curious, how much would it run normally, to stick, say a 1200 bandit engine ? What do they normally run if you are fortunate to come across one? Wow, talk about a real sleeper bike 8)

Comment

CARBURETORS
                98+ carbs have to have that TPS to work right! The pre 98 wiring harnesses don’t have it!
                just a ? when jetting my 2000 katana 600 forgot to hook back up the TPS found this out after a 150 km ride bike worked fine even better then fin kicked it down to pass a transport doing 70 in a 80 and the bike rev high then it ever did before was trying to figure out want the TPS is suppose to do thought it might be a rev limiter i know i was over 12000 rpm before i shifted in to second
                I was told the bike will go into a limp home mode if it is not hooked up that the most fun i've had on a limp home mode
                it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
                Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Comment

The TPS should alter spark timing from the CDI slightly in certain RPM ranges, depending on the throttle position. Basically, it passes a signal back to the CDI about where the throttle is (i.e. - let's say you're at 5k RPM -- are you holding steady with mid-throttle, or accelerating hard with WOT). In theory, if it's set correctly (i.e. - resistance values), it should improve performance under load.

KNOW THIS:
                  If adjusting the TPS sensor, it's far easier to take the readings at the pigtail that connects close to the rear of the gas tank than it is to take the readings at the TPS sensor itself.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                    Great How To

I was able to swap out my pre98 600 with a bad transmission for a 98+ 600 engine following your advice. Thanks. It's like a whole new bike.
                    Yeah........that's a great swap to do.......very under rated. Brings a whole new life to the bike. Odd, I find it's cheaper sometimes to do that than rebuild the old engine, and it's got 12,000~ miles on it! The 98+ ones usually have less than 2-3,000! Man, even for an extra $200 I like to go newer engine...............

Comment

Originally posted by Beau
                      You know i love the idea of putting a B-12 engine i n a Kat...but i don't have to do that...

i Have a B-12 engine in my B-12...but i love the Torque...i love the Power...but i wqill wake it up next year with a few engine mods ...
                      #1:
                      Dale Walker Hole Shot jet kit...........best gig going for that bike!
                      Vance & Hines Ignition Advancer
                      K&N air filter
                      #4 Exhaust system

ALL AT ONCE! This equals WHOLE NEW BIKE! Are you ready for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
                        By the way Keith I decided to keep the 771 I built. Work starts next month on the transplant.......MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Honestly, I was hoping you would!

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Bandit 1200
                          Early GSXR 750's
                          Q: which of those three engines has the most torque, which has the most peak HP?

Just curious...
                          Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          I tend to think the early GSXR 1127 has the most HP, and the Bandit 1200 seems to have the most torque............ but honestly the two I did were both warmed over a bit with minor engine mods..........

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                            Thats great info Special...curious, how much would it run normally, to stick, say a 1200 bandit engine ? What do they normally run if you are fortunate to come across one? Wow, talk about a real sleeper bike 8)
                            I paid $900 for mine..I see them go for $900 to $1100 mostly.

Make sure you get the better generation of the engines, though. THere are some known problems with certain editions of that motor. Check out info at one of the Bandit sites........... here's a good one:http://hometown.aol.com/ffastcbr/ban...m#general_info

Yeah..........I love a good sleepr. It's so fun to pull up to some punk on a GSXR 750 or a CBR and give 'em a run at it. I can always beat them, but I try to only do it by a length or three.........they never know I'm running 3/4 throttle near the end and just watching them to barely stay ahead...... HAH!

Comment

I paid $900 for mine..I see them go for $900 to $1100 mostly.
                              You happen to have a source for those bandit engines in that price range, the cheapest i can find one locally is around $1800 and Im not quite deranged enough to pay that price for one, I ride a Kat, not a Harley!! I dont like over paying for my parts! Would love to stuff a 1200 into my 600 since I am going to have to tear into mine to fix the infamous 2nd gear problem.
                              If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Working...
                              X