INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by md86
    Huh , do the B12's have those , too ?
    Yeah, the Gen 2 ones do anyway. I think the cali system incorporates the charcoal cannister along with the carb fans.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Huh . I wonder if you gotta do the block-off plate with the B12 swap . K didn't say nothin about it ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• I would think so.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Yes you do, I have an 02 b12 motor that I had to get block off plates for.

If you look in the microfiche it's under "second air".
          Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
          18v Rigid Drill
          Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
          New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

• Roger that , B12 needs block-off plates . Good to know . When I get the cash to do my swap , I'd LIKE to have it all done in a weeknd , not spend 2 months waiting around for parts I didn't know I needed .

Comment

not spend 2 months waiting around for parts I didn't know I needed .
              Hey that sounds like what happened to me....

I planned on ONE weekend, I'm on weekend #5 now.
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

• So is there anyway to make this system work on the katana or how would you make block off plates? I don't have access to any welding stuff so if I can make the plates with out that I could do that. Is there any benifit of this system?

Comment

• I made my plates for the Cali engine with a sheet of copper I bought from the hardware store for $3 ( I actually have MOST of that sheet left with a few of the plates traced out ) , cut them out with a Dremel and cutoff wheel , shaped them with the grindstone bit , then stuck them in . Works just fine for $3 and an hour of my time .....

Comment

• newbie witha question that I haven't seen yet

I am new to this forum I haven't even gotten anything but a response letter that said not to reply from the admin. of this site. You all seem that you are very knowledgable about these beautifully made motorcycles and I have a question, I blew my motor by running it dry after a nasty spill, and as far as I can tell it sounds like a bad wrist pin. The motor in question is a 2001 750 I would like to know if I could open it up and modify the cases and put 1100 guts in, I know that the top end would have to be swapped. Crazy idea and probably impossible but in Streetfighters magazine I saw that I gentleman had taken a 1100 and
                    turned in into a 1340 with a wiseco kit is this possible with these
                    cases? I know it might be a dumb question but here in nc where I am I
                    don't come across anyone who thinks it is worth their time to ride, much
                    less play with the Katanas.
                    Thank you for your time,
                    Stephen
                    " Rats get fat, while Real men die "

Comment

• There's supposedly a guy over on Maximum-suzuki.com that knows a bit about them Frankenstain engines .....

Comment

• thanks
                        " Rats get fat, while Real men die "

Comment

• Does anyone have a picture of where they blocked off the ports?

Comment

• Originally posted by katana96
                            Does anyone have a picture of where they blocked off the ports?
                            Not on me , but it's easy enough to find ......
                            On the front of the engine , there'll be these little pipes that WOULD have hoses on them . They're near the exhaust ports . If ALL that crap is gone , then you'll just see these little oval-shaped holes with ..... a couple studs or bolt holes , don't remember which exactly . But if you just have a look , they're EASY to find .

Comment

• Ok well I got the B6 engine in the kat today and it runs good. Now I just have to get the old kat motor into the bandit(stunt bike).

These are the things I swapped over or modified to the b6 from the kat to make it work(sorry if these are not so technical terms, but I don't know what everything is called maybe someone could clarify for me):

Alternator(connections are different)
                              Wires coming out of the engine(connectins are different)
                              Sensor right below sprocket(4 wires on bandit 1 on kat)
                              Blocked off rebreather ports
                              Cap on top of the engine(bandit's was too tall to fit in kat frame)
                              Kept katana's sproket cover
                              Boots between engine and carbs(kat has slightly larger diameter carbs)

That is all I can think of I know the sprocket bolts are different there is some sort of pickup that the bandit uses I think for speedo, I'm not sure. I will be getting the bandit put back together and I'll let everyone know how that goes.

-Justin

Comment

Originally posted by katana96
                                Does anyone have a picture of where they blocked off the ports?
                                Not on me , but it's easy enough to find ......
                                On the front of the engine , there'll be these little pipes that WOULD have hoses on them . They're near the exhaust ports . If ALL that crap is gone , then you'll just see these little oval-shaped holes with ..... a couple studs or bolt holes , don't remember which exactly . But if you just have a look , they're EASY to find .
                                While I had the camera out , I got one JUST for you , buddy ....

See that little tube held on by 2 bolts just under the headers ? THAT'S what you are looking to block off . If you look hard I THINK you can see the copper under there I used to make my plates .

Comment

Working...
                                X