X

Having some horrible noise from fiancee's 250 ninja

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
    How do i get rid of the carbon build up if its in the cylinders?
    Use high-detergent gasolines, such as Chevron with Techron or Shell System V3. Occasionally add an appropriate amount of fuel-system cleaner to the gas directly as well (1/4 of a bottle of Chevron Techron is my recommendation). I've also heard others say there are ways to remove it using automatic transmission fluid, but I've never tried that, and I'd be leary of it.
    You might want to take out the plugs and using a scope, see if you can see anything inside the cylinders. If the plugs weren't so recessed down, I'd say use your finger and feel around, but for most hands, that's not an option.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Go for the valve adjustment, through some sea-foam or Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in the tank, and let us know if that cured the problem. The biggest thing about the valve adjustment is finding the clearances. Corey has either a hanes or clymer manual for his, and it really does go over everything. I would look into aquiring one of those.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

thanks everyone...i shall keep you informed!

we stripped her down, naked and all...ooo la la.

tomorrow when its light, ill get to take the valve cover off and get busy.

Comment

Manuals are soo hard to find on this bike...
          Oh yeah ? I found one on E-bay that led me to a site that stocks them without too much trouble . Cost me like $25 , too . Want I should help you find one ? Maybe that old one is still around here somewhere ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

do u have the site for a 2000 ninja 250?

Comment

Update:
              I think we have a bigger problem than expected...

We took the valve cover off only to find the cam chain is off the sprocket.
              We can spin the engine to allow the chain to fit back onto the sprocket, but when we spin it faster, the chain jumps the teeth.

It seems likes its jumping off down from the signal generator, there are no broken teeth on the top two sprockets, yet we dont have a manual to dig into the bottom of the engine to see whats wrong with the chain.

please check this pic out...and if you can help, provide some info as what to do next

Thanks

Comment

Owww!

Time to check the chain tensioner and the valves and pistons. With the chain jumping teeth, the valves could have slammed into the pistons on that engine, resulting in effectively need for a new engine (or a new bike). Complete tear-down is called for.

Whoa baby...
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah sounds like the tensioner went and unless god was on your side you have a 90% chance the engine is total trash if it happened while running @ a decent rpm, basically anything above idle.

Sorry man but look on the bright side, a 2001 only goes for $2k

That means the motor cant go for more then a couple hundred

Comment

I wish you were kidding...
                    I dont know what to do now.

This is horrible

Comment

do u have the site for a 2000 ninja 250?
                      Well , the bike I got it for was an '88 , so I don't know how much help THAT would be if I COULD find it . But all I did was search E-bay , found a dealer that sells Clymer manuals , e-mailed them , and got it . If I can find one so easily .... But I can try to dig it up .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I wish you were kidding...
                        I dont know what to do now.

This is horrible
                        Well, you have several options:

(A) Rip the engine apart, replace the parts that are damaged and reassemble. Interesting way to learn about motorcycle mechanics. If you're lucky, there will only be minor part replacements required (a few hundred $, the rest being all labor).

(B) Sell the bike as parts (eBay, etc). You may be able to recover most of your initial cost for the bike this way, even with the bad engine. Depending on which carbs are on the bike, for example, I might want them (need a set for my gf's EX500).

(C) Sell the bike as-is with the acknowledgement that the chain jumped. Someone who damaged their bike may want it, as may someone who needs a healthy VIN to "recondition" an existing bike. Least amount of work, but also the most likely to hurt you financially.

Good Luck!
                        =-= The CyberPoet

PS - If anyone knows of where I can get an 94 thru 04 set of carbs for a Ninja 500 (other than new -- they're like $650 each!), please PM me!
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey Cyber,

I doubt we will part it out...not now at least, the unfortunate thing is we are paying monthly on it.
                          So if we could fix it up, we'd like to keep it.

Perhaps I will look for engines instead, this way i can rebuild the crap one in the winter and sell it.
                          Thanks

Comment

Heres a question...with the 89 250 engine u found for me...is it worth 10$? seriously lol its an 89 250 engine...I am considering it, but bc its so old will i end up running into more problems purchasing it?

thanks for all ur work looking for these things..

My fiancee loves her bike, and really wants to keep it

Comment

Well theres shipping on the motor so its not $10, you would definetly have to do a valve job since like I think I said before most ninja valves tighten up, which is really bad, worse then getting loose anyway.

other then that you would use ur carbs and stuff so no other routine maintanance is needed at all.

I would go for it if you wanted the cheapest way out, then maybe start saving for a 500 for later on

Comment

Working...
                              X