No announcement yet.
X

long story short i cracks the 2 bowls on the carburators

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one customer set of carbs to clean that someone had used a large flat blade screwdriver to pry the carbs from the intake boots. they broke thru the upper carb body into the top of the float chamber. nice rectangular hole. JB weld has held nicely so far.

My carbs on the kawi 750LTD used to seep from the overflows. there are brass stand tubes in the bowls as overflow drains. all 4 had fine hairline cracks in the brass tubes. a coating of JB weld over each and no more leaks. the JB weld was still on there strong a year later when i gave them a quick spring clean.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I use it on my oil pan, leaked small drops all the time. got a new pan $13
      Life is what happens, when you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

Originally posted by smartone1971 View Post
        I use it on my oil pan, leaked small drops all the time. got a new pan $13
        I had pulled mine and applied it inside and out.
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

well last night i put the gas in the bowls to sit over night. as of late last night still no leaks. but today after about 24hrs of sitting one of the bowls is now leaking again so back to square one. SLYDVL has been nice enough to offer up 2 bowls he had lying around. so it looks like i might be saved *cross fingers* and i have leanered a great lesson in the process lol

Comment

Originally posted by Miyagi View Post
            but today after about 24hrs of sitting one of the bowls is now leaking again
            Then you did it wrong .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Comment

i sanded down the area the best i could. applyed the cold weld as evenly as possible. removed any excess and let it sit for almost 24 hours before adding the gas. how did i do it wrong?

Comment

I'd try soldering the cracks before jb welding them. That being said I used JB weld in my gastank to seal a petcock I made. Been running for almost a year without so much as a drop of a leak.
                  The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

i would use a pencil torch and silver or brass and fix it .or call sudco they have new ones 1-323-728-5407

Comment

well last night i put the gas in the bowls to sit over night. as of late last night still no leaks. but today after about 24hrs of sitting one of the bowls is now leaking again so back to square one. SLYDVL has been nice enough to offer up 2 bowls he had lying around. so it looks like i might be saved *cross fingers* and i have leanered a great lesson in the process lol
                      Atta Bouy SLY! +1
                      Joker
                      The newest addition to the Family!
                      sigpic
                      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

i sanded down the area the best i could. applyed the cold weld as evenly as possible. removed any excess and let it sit for almost 24 hours before adding the gas. how did i do it wrong?
                        Well , usually all I do is hose the area down with brake cleaner (though it ain't always available on the roadside , where I've ALSO done many a solid JB repair job just wiping with rags ....) , wipe clean , then apply JB liberally . I've repaired many a thing like this , with RARELY a leak . In fact , the oil pan I repaired years ago has MANY spots that needed repaired , and never leaked . So ..... You did it wrong .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                          i would use a pencil torch and silver or brass and fix it .or call sudco they have new ones 1-323-728-5407

this place sells just bowls? please tell me they do lol

Comment

I just went through this. I went to cyclesalvage.com. Neandrethal Motorcycle Salvage out of CA.... He got me a bowl when arsenic said I was SOL. $51 shipped to my door. Hope this helps. Good luck!
                            Power is nothing without control.

Comment

Working...
                            X