No announcement yet.
X

Sad day for mikey...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isn't that what you're supposed to have?

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
      What are you guys talkin about

the only o ring in there is on the bottom of the float valve seat... nothing on the floats...
      Ummmm... Depends on what year he's got. On my pre-750 there is no o-ring where the needle seats but there are two on the float assembly, where it plugs into the carb body. Part numbers 20 and 21 on the carburetor parts diagram.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

you mean this parts diagram? Considering he said the inner and outer are different main jets, he has a 98+. Pre 600 are all the same across the board and pre 750 only the #3 is diffent. 98+ 600 is different inner and outer
        Last edited by arsenic; 02-27-2009, 08:41 PM.

Comment

It's probably either a loose bowl drain screw, a loose screw on the float bowl, or a stuck float.

In that order of likely hood. If the gaskets didn't look too bad when you had the bowls off, they are probably okay.

Time to start re-checking things
          Last edited by steves; 02-27-2009, 08:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Exactly that diagram. Same one on Bike Bandit and Alpha Sports.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Considering he said the inner and outer are different main jets, he has a 98+. Pre 600 are all the same across the board and pre 750 only the #3 is diffent. 98+ 600 is different inner and outer
            Missed that - I just looked in his garage and profile and saw that they didn't say what he had. I bow to your superior carburetor knowledge; you obviously know more about Kats than I.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I know his garage is not filled out. I don't expect you would know that. You kinda gotta read between the lines.

Originally posted by Mikey Dank View Post
              So I go to start her up, just for s^%#s and giggles, the only thing I'm missing is the exhaust can cause I'm waitin on my yoshimura rs-3.
              98+, unless he's using a post header on a pre, which I doubt.

I was putting the carbs back together I noticed I forgot to put a spring in (DOH! )
              98+, IF he means that little spring between the cap and the needle. If he means the big diaphragm spring, well that could be any.
              Last edited by arsenic; 02-28-2009, 12:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If he's got a 98+, then Grrrrr! at you arsenic for pushing him to a need-to-futz-with-the-float-bowls solution (should have gone Ivan's instead).

Meanwhile, the fuel leak is almost assuredly at your float bowls, which should be set about 13.0 mm [0.51"] last time I checked on a 98+ Kat (600's & 750's), and it's real sensitive (15 mm is way over, and I think anything over about 14.2 is a flooding state on the 98+ carbs).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Last edited by The CyberPoet; 02-28-2009, 02:07 AM. Reason: Clarity
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CP, I NEVER said anything to this guy about a Factory Pro kit. If I did, I don't remember so it technically never happened. Factory Pro on 98+ calls for 14mm float heights, but PRE 98 is 15mm, so now I'm not as sure as I was. My 98+ 750 factory Pro MJ's are 117.5, that's stock anyways. You know Dank, this would be a **** ton easier if you just told us what the **** you had Ok, stock 98+ 600, which I THINK he has because 98+ 750 are all 117.5 across the board. Are 115 outer 112.5 inner. Why he thinks he needs bigger jets, I have 0 clue.

I put 117.5 mains in, 115 out.
                  that's interesting, REALLY interesting. You mean 112.5 in? WTF would you put bigger MJ's in?
                  Last edited by arsenic; 02-28-2009, 02:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

This thread is hilarious. M. Dank has posted three times in a three page thread with the title Sad Day for Mikey - the sad day caused by a fuel leak two days ago. Now we're into carb tuning while we have no idea if he is still hemorraging fuel all over the macadam. I am afraid I am a one problem at a time kind of guy: MD, what is the status of your fuel leak? Did you ever find the source? Is is completely internal to the carbs (fuel in the airbox or crankcase) or do you see it coming out of a carb body? Do you feel the leak is resolved and are you willing to start a fresh thread for the jet kit install?

Comment

Ok guys sorry for the hold up, I work valet friday nights and dont get home until around 3 30 am. I have a 2000 600, sorry I never informed you all of that. As far as finding the gas leak, I have not. I took the bowls off again, replaced the o ring in the seat for the float needle but it's been raining all day so far and can't get any progress done. I really never messed with the floats too much, I measured them and that's pretty much what they were set at, I'm not too familiar with how to adjust them since the only two screws i know of are the ones holding everyhthing in place.

As far as the needle goes, I guess I will be taking the spacer and bottom e clip out as you suggested arsenic. I wish I had a camera it would make this a whole hell of a lot easier. I'll see if I can snag one today. I guess since my floats are sittin too low I need to work on that first, I just need some advice on how to go about raising them because I see no screw or anything like that to simply raise/lower them. Thanks for all your help guys.
                      "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Adjusting the floats is a matter of bending the metal tab which the valve is hanging from and re-measuring. Bend again, re-measure. bend again....you will get the hang of it quickly. I use a jewelers screw driver to lever the tab in the direction I want it to go; start slowly until you have a sense of what force is needed to change the height. I highly recommend putting the float bowl on and torqued (firmly seated), then remove the bowl before making measurements and adjusting; the bowl seats the o-ring you replaced and can change the float height.

I am speaking from experience with a pre-750, YMMV.

Comment

98+ 600, I win

As far as the needle goes, I guess I will be taking the spacer and bottom e clip out as you suggested arsenic.
                          I didn't suggest that Hardlydangerous did. I agree with him 100% however.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 02-28-2009, 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks touch, like I said it's raining now and supposed to be raining the whole weekend, but when I get the chance I'll be working on this and let you guys know what happened, I really appreciate the help guys, idk what i'd do without you all

Comment

Mikey Dank, read what Hardlydangerous and I said and DO IT!!! Your main jets are wrong, the float heights are 14mm NOT 15mm. That'll cause you leak right there.
                              Last edited by arsenic; 02-28-2009, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Ok I checked the floats, they were all fine, just wasn't measuring them correctly. The jets were fine too, just mentioned them incorrectly. I also changed the needles, but to make sure I've done this correctly I took pics this time just to be sure, cuz this whole tearing the carbs apart everyday stuff's gettin old

Couldn't figure out how to make images smaller here so:

Before:
                                http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/w...k/Photo003.jpg

After:

Correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X