No announcement yet.
X

low rpm blues...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet, glad to hear that it is running better. No better feeling jumping on your bike after you fix it and go for a ride huh? Haha
    2002 R1
    Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Well , I always seem to have plenty of power down low . There's just a nasty stumble around 3-4k rpms where APPARENTLY it was getting really rich . I could easily let the clutch out and get rolling with nary a shudder (not "pop" the clutch , but let it out smoothly) , and full-throttle from down low took off fairly well , too . I guess you just need a really rich mixture for that !
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Laughing I guess that's a good point. What's a clutch when you are having fun?
        well, a clutch for your bike is around $100, plus labor, if you pay for that... if it needs replacing every couple of years, big deal... IMO, that is pretty inexpensive for something so integral to the bikes performance... besides, it gives you an excuse to do easy, but time-intensive maintenence items like cleaning your oil pickup screen--- all of that stuff has to come off anyway...

but that is just me...
        a

gather 'round, children

Comment

I had problems down low so I took it to a mechanic with a dyno and boom pure sweetness now I am going to put the ign advancer on that i have sitting on my shelf.
          sigpic

Comment

AkBigN:

I was going to suggest raising the E-clip a notch on all four carbs.........and also adjust the Air/Fuel mix screws..................

The common directions for a stage 3 jet kit for that bike say if you're using aftermarket exhaust and pods to use 144 main jets and E-clip position # 4...........I always use position # 3 instead. Based on trial and error, I've found 3 works best.

Also, the A/F screws are recommended to be set at 2.5 turns out from stop. I use 2.5 to 3............depends on bike.

Synch carbs is a MUST..............and its tricky!

The main jets don't kick in until 4,000 RPM.

MD86:
            Those plug thingys are common now with the jet kits, at least from DynoJet. They reduce the orifice size. The part number for them is DCO351. The tap is a common UNC 10-24.
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
              Q: Why is it tricky with that set-up?

Curious
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey , thanks Keith ! I been wanting to find those ! Good thing I have an extra set of carbs to tinker with , as I plugged one set with JB Weld already ! Now I just gotta find a place to get those parts . Can't seem to find a link on Dynojet's site for them ...

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Curious
                  =-= The CyberPoet

I've been at it for several years.....................and am just now considering myself pretty good at it.

I'd say its tricky to propoerly adjust carbs and get them right on the money.............especially on the older bikes. I'm pretty much a perfectionist...........so ....................I think its as much science as it is art, with lots of experience thrown in.....................

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Hey , thanks Keith ! I been wanting to find those ! Good thing I have an extra set of carbs to tinker with , as I plugged one set with JB Weld already ! Now I just gotta find a place to get those parts . Can't seem to find a link on Dynojet's site for them ...

I'm not sure they sell them separate from the kits...............

I can also measure the orifices if you just want to plug them solid then drill them out..............same result I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Curious
                      =-= The CyberPoet

I've been at it for several years.....................and am just now considering myself pretty good at it.

I'd say its tricky to propoerly adjust carbs and get them right on the money.............especially on the older bikes. I'm pretty much a perfectionist...........so ....................I think its as much science as it is art, with lots of experience thrown in.....................
                      I misunderstood -- I thought you were saying Sync'ing the carbs was tricky with his particular set-up... I couldn't figure out what about syncing carbs could be tricky (getting the fuel-air mixtures tuned perfectly across all the RPM ranges is a different story).

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by md86

I'm not sure they sell them separate from the kits...............

I can also measure the orifices if you just want to plug them solid then drill them out..............same result I suppose!
                        Yeah , I'm waiting on that one . Wilson said he was gonna try to get the same measurement ...

Comment

Hey, I will try and post the size tonight. I just talked to him today about it, and he couldn't remember, but thought he had something at home that said what it was, or he could look and see what the drill size was. But, like I said, I'll try and post the size tonight. Sorry for the delay.

TJ
                          2002 R1
                          Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Okay...he called once he got home, and couldn't find where he would of written it down at. But, he said it was between a 1/8 (.125) and 1/16 (.0625) . And almost positive that the correct size was a .09.

That would be if they are both drilled out that size tho. So, obviously, if one is plugged, I would guess you're going to have to make it bigger than that, or else drill out both...

And, this is just his best memory. I would say if someone has a corrector from dynojet on thier's, and is planning on having the carbs off, measure it with a micrometer...or else maybe DynoJet would just tell you?

Good Luck

TJ
                            2002 R1

Comment

Well , it sounds like the path I'm on right now . I've just put the jet-kit needles back in (was running stock , long story) , and put them in the second notch on a lark , got one of those holes plugged with JB (is that stuff very "drillable" BTW?) , changed mains again (up to 124's now I believe) . Pulls like MAD from 4k on like it hasn't in a LONG time . Yeah , I think now I'll try pluggin and drilling the OTHER hole now and see how it pulls . May need to take another trip up to the dyno place sfter all this and see how it's working out !

Comment

Okay...I went ahead and called DynoJet to see what they would say it was, and they said .07 . That was for my '95 750. So...I would probably go that size.
                                2002 R1

Comment

Working...
                                X