No announcement yet.
X

What do YOU know about fuel injection?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, washers are on the way. Without them you can't really tighten the bolts down without the throttles trying to pull themselves out of the boots. Im missing quite a few nuts and bolts still, I've got a list so I can make just one trip to the store at the end. But yes, washers or some sort of spacer is critical. Without them you risk a tb falling out and spraying gas everywhere or worse the throttle jamming open
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Ok, picked up the rest of the bolts etc(for now). Installed the washers and tightened down the long bolts and the throttle feels much better since nothing can move now. I needed 5 M6 washers on each bolt.

Modified the petcock since it was completely gummed up. I opened it up and pretty much removed everything that doesnt seal a hole. Removed the diaphragm, spring, and the cone shaped piece. The knob is still there because it's the seal for that side of the petcock assembly. The other side was RTV'd since the rubber diaphram is no longer there to help seal it. I then capped off the vacuum port so fuel wouldnt leak out. This pretty much makes the petcock a fancy looking hose barb.

I also was able to fit the Nissan FPR on the bike. Its actually much smaller than the GSXR one, and simpler in design. Not sure where it's final mounting point is going to be. Same goes for the MS and the fuel pump. I should probably look into that soon. I need lunch, I'll be back to the garage later.

Comment

Damn, so close! The petcock body hits the fuel rail, and tank wont sit flat. Its just off by a little bit, but I'm not sure what I can do other than denting the tank with a hammer. Theres not really enough excess metal on either part to grind anything down. Maybe I will have to make a plate to cap the petcock hole and fit it with a hose barb.

Comment

I was reading through the 2K3 (actually says 2001-2002 but I think its the same) service manual and found a diagram of the pressure regulator. According to the manual it works very much the way you say your 240's works. The fuel flows in and if the pressure gets too high, it lifts that valve and lets fuel drain out. Not sure why it will flow through 3 holes at this point but I'll look at it more when it gets here... speaking of which, paypal is on the way....
          None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
          -Robert Morrison

"
          well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Cool, thanks. I hope you can get some use out of it. Good bit of progress last night/this morning. Got the megasquirt assembled and ready to go (only took 4 hours start to finish), and welded up the O2 bung on the exhaust. If you havent bought a wideband, get the innovate LC-1. It comes with software for non-MS apps as well as a bung and plug for the O2. Very nice package. Anyway I put the bung just behind the oil pan in the gap between the engine and rear suspension mounts facing towards the left side of the bike. Plenty of space but you'll still have to pull the exhaust to weld in there. Just make sure that you never put a wideband vertically on the bottom of the pipe. If ANY water ever touches them it kills the sensor. Condensation in your exhaust will drip down and fry it in no time if its on the bottom. Pics:

My welds look like ****, I know. I'm using a basic flux core welder and haven't bought the gas upgrade yet. The welds look nasty, but I haven't had one break yet.

Hmm..Thats interesting about the FPR. They must have the vacuum port for it positioned very carefully so it gets vacuum all the time, even at WOT. I'm just having trouble visualizing how the GSXR one uses vacuum to close and normal ones use vacuum to open. If it works it works though.
            Last edited by TheSteve; 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

OOOOOO... I can't wait to figure out what is coming in the mail for me!

Who told you it was the fuel pressure regulator?

I was looking over the schematics on ronayers and the pressure regulator is inside the in-tank fuel pump/filter assembly.

I'm still cool with getting it, but that must be why it is difficult to discern how it works....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
              -Robert Morrison

"

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Whoa really? I think it was mentioned on some forum about putting the gsxr throttles on a car..it was either some honda or a VW. They said it was the FPR and to not use it. I didnt actually check ronayers though, but I guess secondhand info from a car site where they're tossing away everything but the throttles themselves isnt the best place to get info. What does ronayers say it is? Sorry about that, I know I read it somewhere that it was the fpr..

Wait, I found it. It looks like part of the "2nd air system." I have no idea what it could be for. Damn I'm really sorry about that, I swore it was the fpr. I wonder if its needed at all
                Last edited by TheSteve; 05-22-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

no you are cool. I'm not sure what it is, but its not the standard FPR. It looks just like the FPR but not in the filter system... Not really sure right now but I'll check it out

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

The fuel pump arrived today. Got everything in place (minus the MS) and got the fuel lines routed. Heres some pictures of how it all went together:

I'm not too sure about the fuel pump location. Its a good spot, but the hoses are flexed a bit too much for my taste. They aren't kinked but I could see it restricting a little bit of flow if it moves much. I still need to put the MS on the bike and make a wiring harness for it. On a katana is there an underseat tray or anything behind the battery? If there is, I'm missing it. Maybe I'll make something, but I'd rather just buy the correct piece and not have to worry about it. Id put the MS below the gas tank but it's not designed to sustain high heat and I think its a little too close to the motor. Need more hose clamps, too.

EDIT: Labels in the picture shrunk a little too much to read. The hose on the far left will be going to the fuel tank. The rightmost hose is going behind the throttles to the fuel rail. The center label is showing the fuel pressure regulator.
                    Last edited by TheSteve; 05-23-2008, 06:50 PM. Reason: small labels

Comment

There isn't much of a tray on the pre98, but there is on a 98+. Thats where I'm going to mount the MS on mine I think. Cyber cells a tray that bolts over the battery (at least for the 98+, not sure pre98). Usually he mounts a fuse box on it, it might work for this purpose though.

Got the control valve today as well. Its the Pair valve from the 2nd air system alright. I'll toss that beast up on ebay and see what happens... If I get more than 5 bux for it I'll buy us some beer...
                      Last edited by philwecksr; 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM.

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

Wow. I don't know how I managed to miss this thread! Cool stuff!

Have you figured out the petcock problem yet? Couldn't you just delete it/replace it if it's causing you fitment issues? Fuel will need to be pressurized to flow right...?
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Haven't really looked into it just yet. The current idea in my mind is to make a blockoff plate with the same footprint as the petcock, then drill a hole in the center of it and thread a hose barb in. The fuel will be gravity fed into the pump where its then pressurized to 45psi for the injectors. The system might need to be redesigned though because the filter might cause too much restriction for fuel to gravity-feed into the pump. Only testing under load with a fuel pressure gauge will tell though..

If in fact I do need to switch things up the little petcock blockoff I make will have 2 barbs instead, and the return will be into the tank as on an OEM EFI system as opposed to recirculating into the filter. This is probably a better idea all around. Now knowing that the petcock wont fit I need to make the part regardless, so I might just do this anyway.

Either way, I plan to have the bike running in about 3 days. I say about because I need to pull the wideband off the truck first, and its tuning maps need touching up before I do that. The bike won't be rideable for a little while longer either; I still need to get my MC permit.

Comment

You guys DEFINATELY have my attention. You might just keep me from buying a new bike if I can convert to FI. And that is making the wife happy too.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Mini update: Cut some metal to block the petcock off and drilled it for a hose barb. Need to get some jb weld to make sure its fuel-tight. Right now I'm making a tray for the MS to sit on under the passenger seat. Waiting for paint to dry then I'll install it and mount the MS. Everythings ready to go, just need to finish mounting it and make a wiring harness for the EFI parts. No pics for now, I'll wait till I'm done with the tray.

Comment

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I might decide to FI then MAYBE turbo a Bandit 1200 motor when I finally get one in my Kat. God, I need to get another mode of transportation.

Comment

Working...
                                X