No announcement yet.
X

What do YOU know about fuel injection?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ill try to get better videos up soon. All i really have is a still digital camera and my cell phone for video. I do wonder what happened to the sound, it was there before. Tonight I plan on aligning the rear wheel and putting it all back together. Also need to solder the ground on the hei unit. Hoping to ride it around tomorrow and start tuning.
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

• YEAH BABY!!!!! That is what I'm talking about!!

Good job Steve!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

• Everythings ready to go, I plan on riding it a little bit tomorrow. And I mean it this time lol. I'll see if I can get a video cam or maybe borrow my roommates phone that has a better cam than mine.

Comment

• Ok a new problem has come up. Seems the alternator on the bike is not working as its running at about 11 volts regardless of rpm. Whenever the brakes are pressed it tries to die. And, since its no longer tethered to a car battery the cranking pulsewidths need to be changed for reliable starting. The car battery was able to spin the engine much faster. Ill check the alternator wiring and if its all ok I guess Ill try swapping alternators with the spare motor. I did ride the bike today but only made it about 5 feet. It died with the brakelight coming on. Its times like this I wish I had bought a running bike and then converted it. Much less troubleshooting.

Comment

• Found the problem with the alternator. The alt plug was loose and caused the wire to arc and then burn. Cut the plugs off and soldered them instead and now everythings working as it should.

I just rode the bike around the neighborhood, it was crazy. Having only ridden a bike around a parking lot before this I can honestly say this is the fastest thing I've even been on or in. It runs like a bat out of hell below 5000 rpm, but chokes up right above maybe 6000. I wasn't really watching the tach. This is all untuned as of right now, I just estimated the VE table for the lower range of the motor. I'm gonna go try and tune it a little better but I can't really do too much as its not insured or registered right now. I'll try to call the insurance company and then get a 30 day temp tag to tune it well enough to pass emissions tomorrow. My roommate got a couple short videos of me riding it, sucking at the clutch, putting my feet down in turns, and generally being a noob. I'll post them later today and hopefully have sound this time

Comment

• Video is uploading to youtube right now. Unfortunately the only video I got was after I turned back to head home so I wasn't really pushing it. Dan (roommate) wasn't expecting me to open it up when I did so he didn't get a vid of it.
              Would anyone be interested in a more concise how-to/buildup thread now that its all said and done? It'd be much easier to follow since there wouldn't be a half page of discussion and troubleshooting between each update.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              Last edited by TheSteve; 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Let's just say that nobody would complain if you did.

Comment

• I am very interested in it, TheSteve. I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my Kat and afterwards install a turbo also. At the beginning I thought that building a working and drivable carburetted Kat would be fun but I have read about other carb turbo projects and it is very hard to get the AFR right on carbs.

Comment

• Nice, always good to see another interested in making the conversion. I'm working on tuning the Kat right now, and I almost have enough data to post up some fuel maps to make this easier for everyone else.

Comment

• Well I just took the Kat to the emissions place. It failed by just a hair. I need to lean out the idle just a little bit and it should pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
                        Well I just took the Kat to the emissions place. It failed by just a hair. I need to lean out the idle just a little bit and it should pass.
                        A bit of acetone or keytone in the fuel would do the trick too

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• That might help. Its like .8 over on CO, so I just have to lean out the idle mix a little bit. Way easier to do than you'd think working with carbs. Instead of counting screw turns out you just punch in the desired AFR number and the MS takes care of the rest. It failed because I had it around 13.8. Better too rich than too lean while playing around with it. Bikes here only have to pass HC and CO standards, no NOx, so I can just lean the bike way out and pass for sure on gasoline. No real need for additives

Comment

• TheSteve, you used GSXR 600 TB's, right ? ... Too bad there are only a few and only sometimes for sale on ebay.de (mostly .com sellers won't send to Europe). At the moment, my estimated budget would be about $500 or even more. It will be quite hard to find all those parts that i need used and cheap.

EDIT: Does anyone know the exact translation of "throttle body" to german?
                            Last edited by Villu_EST; 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• You could try using the 750 or 1000 throttles but you might have some trouble getting them to fit. I found a bunch on ebay's USA site that ship worldwide.

This would be perfect, came off a working bike and all. On the expensive side though. There are many cheaper but the pics arent showing detail or its sold in "unknown" condition. If you look around you'll find some for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Villu_EST View Post
                                EDIT: Does anyone know the exact translation of "throttle body" to german?
                                Drosselklappe (singular) or Drosselklappen (multiple) is the throttle butterfly valve & normally includes it's surround (i.e. - the throttle body). If not, the term is Drosselklappengehäuse (throttle butterfly housing) or Drosselklappenhälter (throttle butterfly holder). On eBay.de, you should get hits for Drosselkappe...

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X