Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Leaking oil after adjusting valves, any ideas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look at this picture

the coils are still mounted

this picture they've been removed. - you'll have plenty of room.
    the one 'hidden bolt' i get at from the front side of the brace - with a
    long T handle allen -

if you want to torque it - find an allen wrech thats long enough - cut the bend or T off and put a socket on it.

tim

Comment

OK, I got everything apart no problem, and now the cover is sitting on my garage floor. I can't find anything obvious that tells me where the oil was coming from. All the gaskets were in place, there isn't any oil inside the spark plug holes as I suspected there might be, and all the bolts were torqued to or just past factory specs. Just to be certain I'm going to go ahead and replace the main valve cover gasket, but not the ones that go around the spark plugs. Anything else you guys can think of that I need or might want to replace while I've got it off?

Also, how in the hell do you get that silicone stuff off of the head? lol... I've been working at it (gently) with a screw driver for about 20 minutes and just got ONE of the cam ends done...

Comment

Originally posted by TemtnF8
        Also, how in the hell do you get that silicone stuff off of the head? lol... I've been working at it (gently) with a screw driver for about 20 minutes and just got ONE of the cam ends done...
        WD-40 spray, a dental pick, a set of bottlenose pliers or medical tweasers and a gasket scraper. I can't say I had any problems with the stuff, but perhaps the previous owner used an excessive amount or a type that wasn't right?

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Found the problem... Apparently I'm missing the o-ring from the left side oil line. now I have to find someone who has a replacement, or something that will do...

Comment

Originally posted by TemtnF8
            Found the problem... Apparently I'm missing the o-ring from the left side oil line. now I have to find someone who has a replacement, or something that will do...
            Time for a trip to the hardware store or auto parts store... it shouldn't be hard to track down a suitable replacment O-ring for that passage (as verses to the fuel rails & carb needles).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yup, found a suitable replacement at the first place I went, Schuck's Auto Parts. They were slightly bigger than the originals, but they fit in the groove with a little bit of work, and they're bolted in now.

Suzuki wants $3 each for those damn things. I bought 8 for $3.04 including tax.

Comment

Went for a 60 mile ride today, no oil leakage. Looks like everything is good to go!

Comment

Working...
                X