X

HELP! 1993 600 won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 1993 600 won't start

Ran fine last summer when we changed the plugs and it started running goofy (almost like a misfire). Sat all winter and now it won't start. Cleaned the carbs, added fuel filters, new fuel line, drained tank and put all new gas. When you are cranking it it does nothing at WOT no choke, WOT w/choke, no throttle, or no throttle with choke. If you spray a bit of starting fluid in it wants to start but still nothing.

It also has a new air filter and air box is free of any nests or debris.

Any ideas?
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
    2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
    1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Clean the plugs. Can you smell gas in the exhaust pipes?

Comment

it does smell like gas and when I pulled the plugs they were soaked. Now just for fun I went to check for spark by grounding the plug on the head and cranking it and nothing. NO SPARK! What's weird is when you try starting fluid it sounds like its firing. The battery seems strong and fuses good. What woudl you suggest?
      1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors

Comment

Junk in the carbs. Maybe a stuck float?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i had the same problem starting mine this year. it would turn over and occasionally backfire. pulled a plug and it was fouled big time. put in new plugs and it started right up.
          carpe diem

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaLS
            What woudl you suggest?
            get new plugs , check them for spark before putting them in . If spark , put them in and try again . If not , time to dig out the repair manual and multimeter .....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by steves
              The carbs all were rebuilt last weekend. They are spotless. I also added 2 fuel filters (1 in each line) with new fuel line.

Originally posted by jwonton
              i had the same problem starting mine this year. it would turn over and occasionally backfire. pulled a plug and it was fouled big time. put in new plugs and it started right up.
              I think I'll try that tomorrow. The old plugs looked really cood when I took them out but I didnt know how long they were in so I replaced them. If I still have them laying around in my "katana box" I'll toss them in for shits and giggles. If it starts I'll go and buy new ones.

Comment

First off I have had zero luck grounding the plug against the head.. I made a thick wire holder that I bolt to the same screw that holds the coil. I took 10 gauge solid copper wire and wrapped it around the spark plug so tight that I actually have to screw the spark plug in/out.

So think about that. Also the spark on the Katana (and a lot of motorcycles) is surprisingly dim. You will have a better chance hearing it than seeing it. I chased a "bad" ignition until finally trying a brand new plug (for poops and giggles) and finally got a spark, the bad plugs looked fine...

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaLS
                  Originally posted by steves
                  The carbs all were rebuilt last weekend. They are spotless. I also added 2 fuel filters (1 in each line) with new fuel line.
                  Are you sure the fuel filters are flowing correctly? That could be your problem right there...
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

They are flowing correctly. I checked them 5x before I tightened the hose clamps.

Is it possible for it to turn over and not be in run? I know if I have it in the "Stop" position on the handle bars it doesn't crank but is it possible to be in stop an still crank, like by some bad wiring?

Comment

The run stop switch is supposed to be in the starter relay circuit.. (unlike older bikes) so no run, no starter..

Comment

Working...
                      X