X

Transmission Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Problems

hello i recently picked up a 1990 kat 750 it was in severe need of some TLC. It liked to pop out of second and today i was riding and i shifted into second and it made some UGLY noises and locked up. The front sprocket wiggles, and oil is leaking. would a 600 lower case and transmission work and or are they the same?
    drive it like you stole it

ouch! you have the dreaded second gear issue. i have no idea if they'll interchange. someone here knows. good luck.

Long Live the D

Comment

what is the cause of this problem and is there a fix to it?

Comment

Originally posted by BEZ
        (A) Cause: rider abuse during shifting. Clutchless upshifts and/or downshifts, and/or downshifting into second at high speeds with the engine at low RPM's.

(B) The fix is to either disassemble the engine to get at the tranny components and replace them (about $250 in parts, 15-20 hours of labor for a trained shop mechanic, 35-50 hours for a typical home mechanic), or to put in a new (used) engine. Because of the labor involved, most people choose to go the used engine route instead of repairing it.

(C) Use the search feature to find what engines will fit, what parts are interchangable, and the repair procedure.

(D) Kick the seller upside the head for not disclosing the fault, then kick yourself upside the head for not discovering it before you bought it.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Originally posted by BEZ
          (A) Cause: rider abuse during shifting. Clutchless upshifts and/or downshifts, and/or downshifting into second at high speeds with the engine at low RPM's.

(B) The fix is to either disassemble the engine to get at the tranny components and replace them (about $250 in parts, 15-20 hours of labor for a trained shop mechanic, 35-50 hours for a typical home mechanic), or to put in a new (used) engine. Because of the labor involved, most people choose to go the used engine route instead of repairing it.

(C) Use the search feature to find what engines will fit, what parts are interchangable, and the repair procedure.

(D) Kick the seller upside the head for not disclosing the fault, then kick yourself upside the head for not discovering it before you bought it.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Well, unless this is a strange coincidence, I believe I am the culprit. So in response.....

A- True, this bike saw a LOT of drag racing over the course of last summer. Funny, though.... it never popped out of second while racing, only when riding easy.

B & C- Upsets me just to read it. Sorry Brandon. I feel awful.

D- I did disclose it. However, I didn't have any idea it could eventually lead to the tranny self-destructing!

Honestly, CP, maybe you'll have some idea exactly what happened..... from what I could see, the seal over the countershaft bearing (right behind the sprocket) was pushed out, the area around the bearing/seal looks cracked (hard to see from the bottom), and the chain was laying on the swingarm, so it seems the sprocket must have moved backwards.

Once again, I feel absolutely terrible that this happened. I even offered to buy the bike back, but I know he's put a lot of time, effort, and money into it that a refund of purchase price couldn't begin to cover.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

See what MD86 would want to do the work... if I understand his current circumstances correctly (I might be wrong), it might be the cheapest of all options not involving doing the work yourself...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yes it was disclosed to me and it is not the seller's fault he is a friend of mine i got the bike on a great deal i am not placing no blame i just wanted to know some solutions to the problem the seller has really done his best with helping me with everything so far and yes he did offer to buy it back but what the he** most kats are project bikes anyways right?

YOU STILL ROCK RICK WE'LL BE RIDING OUR KATS TOGETHER SOON BUDDY

Comment

i've splitted the cases this winter and I personnaly did found it pretty difficult (i was not mechanicaly inclined). Lots of bolts, but bot quite complicated. Take the owner manual and follow the step-by-step procedure.

I had the same problem on my bike. The final investigation told me:

1. Blown driveshaft bearing (very noisy)
                2. Completey destroted drivechain
                3. As the bearing was moving up and down cuz i was blown, it broke the oil seal and there was oil leak down on the clutch cover side
                4. Worn 2nd driven gear
                5. Worn cam gear barrel (controls the forks mouvement along paths)

Takes lot of time, but I've learned a lot

If you need any help to do it, feel free to ask me !

Good Luck
                Lp

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  See what MD86 would want to do the work... i
                  1: That's NORTHERN Ohio , like 3 hours north .
                  2: I've never gotten THAT deep in an engine before .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    1: That's NORTHERN Ohio , like 3 hours north .
                    So, like any other shop on the planet, they'd have bring it to ya, right?

Originally posted by md86
                    2: I've never gotten THAT deep in an engine before .
                    Matt, here I am giving you the learning equivilent of MMI plus some cash-in-pocket, and you're whining?
                    Just teasing... I just figured you might be willing to take it if you hadn't found another revenue stream yet. You know what you feel qualified to work on much better than I do.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well , I dunno . I'd be worried about breaking something . ESPECIALLY if he spends $50 in gas to get here with the thing . I'd be willing to HELP , but I don't see it happening that way .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

It's a shame, I had a really great mechanic in Vermillion (about a half hour away) but he dissappeared. His shop has closed up.
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

well i have been searching around to see if a 600 trans would work or the same ratio can anyone please give me somewhere to start with???

Comment

Yes, the 600 tranny and the 750 tranny should be interchangable. If in doubt, check the part numbers at RonAyers.com in the fiche files to make sure they use the same subcomponents.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If anything, the gears should be shorter in the 600 tranny, right? That may actually make it quicker in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X