Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Kat 750's paint job... watch it happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chandler213
    replied
    is that beer on the table?

nothinglike cold beer while working on the bike

Leave a comment:

• brentwoodkris
    replied
    What product did you end up using to repair the cracks in the plastic? And where did you get it? I'm working on a similar project now.

Leave a comment:

• ICEG
    replied
    nice make it gsxr blue

Leave a comment:

• Astro4x4
    replied
    Looking good !! So will there be a post paint party to celebrate your achievement with free beer and scantly clad women?

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Well I'm ahead of schedule. Every single piece is fully primed and ready for the next round of sanding. I've never sprayed primer out of a gravity fed HVLP gun before... it took longer but it was a lot easier to control.

Leave a comment:

• Shifty
    replied
    Lookin good bro!

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Originally posted by Shifty View Post
    Nice! Still anxiously awaiting color...
    I know... me too! I'll be shooting the high build primer on Wednesday night probably and I'll be back to sanding on the weekend.

Few more...

One more piece to smooth out and they're all ready for primer!
    Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• Shifty
    replied
    Nice! Still anxiously awaiting color...

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    *** 03/08/2009 ***

Update finally!

My picture server has been down for upgrades for the last couple of weeks, so I've neglected to take pictures. Nevertheless, I've been making progress and my picture server is back up, so here we go!

Here is the LH fairing after the initial sanding (removal of decals and paint damage) As you can see, it's in much better shape than the RH was.

One of three cracks:

The second of three (above the petcock)

RH lower cowling (not the best shape, but easily salvageable)

Close up of same

Ah, the completed RH fairing. Epoxy (etching) primer sprayed on where necessary and ready for high build primer.

Closer shot of the end result of my damage repair. It came out pretty good in the end.

This is the after shot of that major crack repair on the RH fairing (mirror mount area):

Third of three cracks on the LH fairing - at least there's some plastic left to work with on this side. It's reinforced with ABS from behind and dug out and filled with epoxy.

Some of the other pieces that are in etching primer ready for the high build:

All I have left to prep is the tank which doesn't require any repairs and the RH rear frame cover, which also doesn't require repairs. I think I'll have everything in high build primer by the end of the week hopefully.
    Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ebergreg2000
    replied
    ill be following your progress .just finished painting my bike...post photos later...good luck

Leave a comment:

• Shifty
    replied
    Indeed. Now, you can get 2k clears in aerosol format these days, but it's not cheap and to be honest I have no experience with the products. Might be worth a shot anyway. Here's a link to R-M's 2k spray can clear. R-M is good stuff, I'd trust this product.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/aeromax.html

Let me stress I would only do this if no other option is available. If you have access to an air compressor, buying a Harbor Freight gun is a better investment.

Leave a comment:

• LAsunbird86
    replied
    you will need to use automotive grade clearcoat, rattle can clear wont cut it against gasoline. Lots of coats of auto clearcoat will protect it against gas better.

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Any two part automotive clearcoat should do the trick. That's what I'll be using. Mine will be sprayed from a gun. I know I've seen automotive clearcoats in aerosol cans mentioned on this forum before, but from what I understand, they're pretty pricey.

Leave a comment:

• SoGone12
    replied
    Hey. I painted my 1994 600 a Black, red and siliver scheme. I'll have to take pics and post them. Do you guys have any tips on what we could use to protect the paint (esp on the gas tank) from GAS SPILLING. As it stands now gas eats threw paint pretty quickly. But it doesnt do so on cars and their paint jobs. So im wondering what kind of clear coat or treatment I could do to mimic that. Even if just a little.

Leave a comment:

• LAsunbird86
    replied
    looks great! good work!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X