Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Kat 750's paint job... watch it happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter
    replied
    I sprayed it with a DeVilbiss HVLP gravity fed spray gun borrowed from the shop. It really helps to have the perfect spray booth environment, both for the temperature/dust control, as well as the properly dried and filtered compressed air.

The Nason paint laid down perfectly. The silver came out a little cloudy at first following the directions on the can, but the shop owner suggested the paint be reduced more than the label calls for and sprayed on in a few more coats. It ended up working great! I went with GM Torch red and a GM silver effect.

I'll be picking up the parts in a few hours. I'll be working on my pre-season maintenance this week before putting it back together, but I should have it reassembled by this coming weekend if all goes well and the rest of my parts arrive in the mail.

Leave a comment:

• Astro4x4
    replied
    Very nice !! Man, I'd give my left nut (maybe my right too) to have a proper booth to spray in. What gun did ya shoot it with?

Leave a comment:

• Slofuze
    replied
    Wow....great work. I can't wait to see it all together.

Leave a comment:

• Katpilot36
    replied
    Very nice, good job bro!

Leave a comment:

• kevin2502000
    replied
    WOW! I'm jealous how great they came out. Did you spray yourself and what type of gun did you use? I also used Nason paint.

Leave a comment:

• rexazz2
    replied
    nice job looks like it turned out really well
    I see you found a booth to use , better than my garage
    Now I really want to change the colour of mine

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    *** UPDATE 03/21/2009 ***

Got everything painted and clearcoated this morning!

Here's the spraybooth:

My products:

Basecoat silver on lower panels:

And clearcoated:

Red after 3 basecoats. Flashed, ready for clear:

Ahh... and now clearcoated (2 coats):

To make it show quality, I could wetsand it and buff it, but it came out so great I don't even have to bother. I couldn't be happier with how this turned out.
    Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HexKrak
    replied
    I can't wait to see it all back together!

Leave a comment:

• 802er
    replied
    Excellent!

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Update! 03/19/2009

All parts were sprayed with high build primer at my work last week and I've been sanding away ever since!

Fresh after spraying primer:

Yay wetsanding!

All blocked and wetsanded!

I know the process has been slow, but I don't have a lot of time these days. It certainly wasn't for my lack of ambition. The parts are sanded and clean and completely ready for color, which will be happening on Saturday morning this coming weekend. I'll be spraying them in the paintbooth at my old bodyshop. Look forward to more updates soon!
    Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chinto
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
    I know it's cheap insurance, but my repaired areas are already sealed with two coats of etching primer and 2-3 coats of high build primer. I don't think it'll be necessary. I've never used it before. Sometimes I don't even wetsand the primer before painting. 800 dry is the highest I go sometimes (depending on color) and everything I've ever painted has looked cherry using this method.
    i don't always use it either but occasionally I end up sanding and painting again because of it.

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Originally posted by chinto View Post
    You may want to consider using a primer sealer. Would suck to go through this trouble and have your repaired areas bleed through.
    I know it's cheap insurance, but my repaired areas are already sealed with two coats of etching primer and 2-3 coats of high build primer. I don't think it'll be necessary. I've never used it before. Sometimes I don't even wetsand the primer before painting. 800 dry is the highest I go sometimes (depending on color) and everything I've ever painted has looked cherry using this method.

Leave a comment:

• Kreylyn
    replied
    Originally posted by chinto View Post
    You may want to consider using a primer sealer. Would suck to go through this trouble and have your repaired areas bleed through.
    +1

Krey

Leave a comment:

• chinto
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post

So I've done the primer, now all I have to do is sand and paint. I talked to my old boss at the bodyshop today and it looks like he's going to let me spray it in his booth, so I won't have to make one myself. I'll also have him there to guide me through the process if I have any questions.

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
    Looking good !! So will there be a post paint party to celebrate your achievement with free beer and scantly clad women?
    Beer yes, but I don't think the wife will agree to the scantly clad women.

Originally posted by ICEG View Post
    nice make it gsxr blue
    Red is faster.

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
    What product did you end up using to repair the cracks in the plastic? And where did you get it? I'm working on a similar project now.
    I used a combination of products. I reinforced most of the cracks from behind by digging down a little bit and filling with ABS cement for plumbing pipes and layering pieces of 0.030" ABS sheet over the area. In the front side of the cracks, I dug them out and filled with regular 5min Permatex epoxy. I could have used the plastic weld, but the method I used worked really great. My repaired areas are super strong, but still flexible. To finish the areas, I used Evercoat Polyflex body filler (made for repairing plastic bumpers). It cures somewhat flexible as well and bonds well to the bare plastic.

I would recommend this combination of products and methods to anyone doing repairs to their fairings.

Originally posted by chandler213 View Post
    is that beer on the table? nothinglike cold beer while working on the bike
    Damn right! I work better with beer, plus it stayes cold while working in the shed during the winter.

So I've done the primer, now all I have to do is sand and paint. I talked to my old boss at the bodyshop today and it looks like he's going to let me spray it in his booth, so I won't have to make one myself. I'll also have him there to guide me through the process if I have any questions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X