Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Kat 750's paint job... watch it happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shibby
    replied
    great work! Good to see i'm not the only one sanding my a$$ off.

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
    On that mirror mount crack, you might want to put some rubber washers behind it and be very careful of the torque. That is a common stress point.
    Thanks Kevin. I'll keep that in mind when I reassemble.

Leave a comment:

• Shifty
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post

The pictures don't do it justice... If you had seen it in person before, you'd want to give me a pat on the back for this one.
    Consider this my pat on the back. I know that's a lot of work you're up against there. So far so good, keep it up! The end product will be so worth it.

Leave a comment:

• kevin2502000
    replied
    On that mirror mount crack, you might want to put some rubber washers behind it and be very careful of the torque. That is a common stress point.

Leave a comment:

• ctandc
    replied
    Lookin' good!!

Gives me motivation to start repairing the multiple spare fairings and tanks I've acquired so I can get on with my paint job.

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    Very nice work man.

Can't wait to see the finished pics...

Krey
    Me too.

Leave a comment:

• Kreylyn
    replied
    Very nice work man.

Can't wait to see the finished pics...

Krey

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    *** 02/21/2009 ***

I worked for a couple more hours today. I fixed that bad crack... it actually turned out a lot better and stronger than I thought it would. I had to really dig this one out and fill it with some good epoxy.

Epoxy all sanded down and edges made round again.

The pictures don't do it justice... If you had seen it in person before, you'd want to give me a pat on the back for this one.

Have to make that bubble round again!

Until next time... happy sanding!
    Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    Originally posted by ctandc View Post
    What grit sandpaper did you use?
    I started by sanding the decals and uneven paint surfaces with a 60 grit pad on my orbital with light pressure. I also did the curved areas and hard to reach spots with 60 grit on my detail (mouse) sander, which worked great. Then I moved to a nice 180 and started smoothing everything out. I treated the whole panel to 180 because of all the orange peel from the previous paint job. After that, I got all the edges with a red scotch brite and made sure there was no clearcoat shine left on anything, even in the bolt holes. After that I gave it a once over with 320, and I'm ready for the repairs. After I'm done filling all the scrapes, cracks and low areas, the whole panel will be sanded with 400, shot with etching primer in all the bare areas and doused with a good layer of high build urethane grey primer from my spray gun.

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
    Alright it's coming along. Where did ya score the ABS sheet?
    I got the ABS sheet from a place on Bleams Rd here in town (by my work) called WPS. They gave it to me for free because it was left over from an order that never got picked up. They have a whole skid of those sheets there!

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
    and uhaul wants the blankets back
    They're not going to get them! I worked there once upon a time, and I have plenty more. They come in handy.

Leave a comment:

• Slofuze
    replied
    It'll be interesting to see the finished product. It may give me some ideas if I ever choose to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• rexazz2
    replied
    Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post

and uhaul wants the blankets back LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Astro4x4
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ctandc
    replied
    What grit sandpaper did you use?

Leave a comment:

• Dexter
    replied
    *** UPDATE 02/20/2009 ***

I had a couple of hours to work on it. Here's a taste of what I've been up to tonight. I decided to start with the worst fairing of all, which actually ended up looking pretty good underneath.

Decals, stripes, rough areas, road rash and cracks sanded down.

This area inside is to be reinforced (road rash on the front side) I'm using premium ABS cement and 0.030" black ABS sheeting.

These were cracks. Reinforced from behind and they'll be dug out with the dremel from the front and filled with cement.

I'll tackle this one tomorrow.

That's it for now!

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
    What colors are you going back with?
    The fairings and top panels will be GM torch red and the lower cowl will be GM silver. I'll have OE-looking silver Katana, Suzuki, 750, and the "S" decals which will be clearcoated over. I'm also going to add the Katriders.com stickers after everything is cured.
    Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• Shifty
    replied
    What colors are you going back with?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X