X

Pair of tires under 200?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pair of tires under 200?

Hello everyone, I am new to the sport and I would assume that tire choice has been beat to death in this section, but figured I would ask. I am looking for a set of tires for under 200.00. I have a 2001 Kat 600. I have a buddy that can get me "Stinkos" Advance mounted and balanced for around 190ish.. Is this a good deal? I'm just looking for something to learn the bike on. I figure next set I can upgrade to a better tire. Let me know if there is any other tires I might want to look at for around this price.. Thanks.
    Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

You should be able to get a set of the Conti Motions for about the same price, if not less.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I'm a fan of Conti tires, so I would +1 to that suggestion...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sounds good I'll look into them.

Comment

He can get the front Conti Motions, Shinko Advance or Shinko Podium for all the same price

The rears He can get the Conit's right now (out of stock everywhere) and he can get the Shinko Podium and Advance for about the same price. He said I might have to go with a 160/60/17.. I am guessing these will fit? and any pro's or cons to changing the tire size?

Comment

No cons really. makes the bike a little bit harder to lean over. My bike came with Stinkos, wouldnt recommend those. I use Dunlops RoadSmarts but those ran 330 mounted go with the continentals, they have a decent rep
            "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

Comment

Originally posted by kat600rdr View Post
              He can get the front Conti Motions, Shinko Advance or Shinko Podium for all the same price

The rears He can get the Conit's right now (out of stock everywhere) and he can get the Shinko Podium and Advance for about the same price. He said I might have to go with a 160/60/17.. I am guessing these will fit? and any pro's or cons to changing the tire size?

You can get delivered the conti motion front/rear from motorcycle superstore a set for $154.98 shipped.

Sizes 120/70 and 170/60 will fit on your bike, and are in stock.

If you dont' mind a fatter rear tire... it will fit your rim, it's in the range for the tire.

Don't know what you pay for mounting, but...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I just got a pair of Pilot Power's shipped to my door for 218. Motorcycle-Superstore.com Since you arent in KY, you wouldnt have to pay tax. They would be 206 shipped to you. They are in Louisville so i bet you have them in 2 days. I got them the next day.

Comment

conti motion rears are sold out everywhere i tryed getting them for myself. so i went with shinkos - i know their not the best but since i'm just learning to ride plus the tires on my kat are bald and flat anything would be better . i paid 165 for the front and rear (shinko raven )

Comment

Thanks Everyone.. My front is ready for a change now, but the rear I have some life left.. I think I'll go with the Conti's but the front and wait on the rear.. Just curious, what are the better tires for people who can actually push their bikes to the limits?

Comment

Love my Pilot Powers, but when they are run down I been thinking of trying one of Mich. 2ct.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Thanks Everyone.. My front is ready for a change now, but the rear I have some life left.. I think I'll go with the Conti's but the front and wait on the rear.. Just curious, what are the better tires for people who can actually push their bikes to the limits?

I like conti road attacks. I hear lots of good about pilot power 2cts.

If I was going to recomend a tire to you, I would go the extra $ for the Pilot Road 3 tires... second option the Pilot Road 2 tires.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Pirelli Diablo Rosso
                          Continental Sport Attack
                          Michelin Pilot Power

I have a personal dislike for Bridgestone and Dunlop, but I hear they have some good current sport tires as well. Avon and Metzeler also usually have something good to offer, but I don't know what they have off the top of my head. Asking for tire opinions is like asking for oil opinions. You'll get a lot of different answers, with each person claiming their opinion is the absolute truth. In reality, about 95% of people giving their opinion aren't nearly as fast as they think they are, and would do just as well to ride around on a set of Cheng Shin's. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I kinda disagree with L&L. Tires do matter at all speed levels. While as a new rider you don't need anything super soft and sticky as that will just wear out fast, you might want to consider investing in good tires. I have Pilot Road 2's on my bike and we have Conti road attacks on the other bikes. Both are dual compound tires that are harder in the center, where you spend most your time as a new rider, and softer on the edges. Both give excellent grip, and stability on wet or dry roads.

Inexpensive tires may not perform that way, meaning they may not be as forgiving of your newbie mistakes. Personally, I put the extra $50 into my own piece of mind. I'm not one to buy a higher price point anything unless I have a very compelling reason to do so, especially with a growing stable of bikes to keep rubber on.

As for the limit riding, I'm hearing really good things about the Dunlop Q2's from the folks that I don't even belong on the same road as.
                            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I second the Diablo Rossos, although I'm not so sure they are in production anymore now that they have the Rosso Corsa.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X