X

Lowering Links for a 1993 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbotk89 View Post
    I did? I actually asked Junker who initially told me that these links would bolt on. but I guess he thought I was talking about a post 98, which has the skinnier links.

yes it needs to be cleaned as it sat in the PO garage for about a year and half. Im spot cleaning as I go, but im going to hose everything down in degreaser. I think the frame needs a new coat of paint but I have yet to venture in dropping the motor.

I did pick up a grade 8 bolt but it was only a thread longer. so Im going to need something about a half inch longer.. will post more pics afterwards.
    The post-98 link install is news to me, so I'm not sure if someone else beat you to it. As far as I know, your the first.

+1 on the grease. Sadly, I had to have my links install by someone else when I first bought my bike. They made a bunch of noise for the longest time, but it eventually stopped.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

well I decided to go ahead with the full drop. everything is mounted. I can actually touch the ground and even stand up while straddling the bike! I put on the bellypan and taped the left side cover and it looks like I still have good ground clearance but im going to chop up the upper side covers anyhow since the nose is broken beyond repair.

93 Kat 750
      02 RAM 1500
      04 BMW X3
      ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

FYI I never commented on wether the post and pre were the same, just the pre bikes.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          FYI I never commented on wether the post and pre were the same, just the pre bikes.
          No worries. I was not able to find an r6 shock; I did find that the links are different between the 600/750 pre's. the pre-750 links are wider at the top base.you did state that if it fitted the 600 pre it would fit a 750 pre.. it does fit.. but isn't a direct bolt on application.

This venture wasn't too costly and I am happy with the results:

pro-tek LL110 links scored for $23.99
          Washers, spacers, and stainless mounting equipment all grabbed at under $10 locally

I got the bike down nicely so I included pics just in-case anyone came along looking for the same idea.

I came here to learn, and Learn I did.. Thanks to all the fast responses, as I am sure I will have more questions as I dive further into this build.
          Last edited by kbotk89; 09-24-2015, 11:37 AM.
          93 Kat 750
          02 RAM 1500
          04 BMW X3
          ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

You might want to look into either buying a shortened kickstand or modding your current one. There's several folks who lowered their bikes but didn't do that. Only to have the now not as stable bike tip over.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              You might want to look into either buying a shortened kickstand or modding your current one. There's several folks who lowered their bikes but didn't do that. Only to have the now not as stable bike tip over.
              yeah as of now, Im putting it on the center stand.. takes a little more grunt but its pretty stable.
              the side stand already has a slight bend from when the PO wiped out on the left side, so it doesn't stand up straight, more like a 65 degree angle.. for now its in a flat shop until fenders, sidecover and rear end is chopped. its not even registered yet. lol
              Last edited by kbotk89; 09-24-2015, 02:05 PM.
              93 Kat 750
              02 RAM 1500
              04 BMW X3
              ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Looks awesome !
                You'll have to make sure to slide your foot back while turning sharp or your toes will drag the pavement...lol...In other words place your toes on the peg during heavy angle. Plus, I think the 750cc pegs are slightly larger than the 600cc, so that may play a factor as well. Just another reason to fit some custom rear-sets in my opinion. My 600 is only lowered 1 1/4" , but your like 1 1/2" (I'm jealous), and I can shred my tire all the way to the outer edge/no chicken strips. Congrads, you now have the phattest looking pre-750 ever.
                EDIT: Oh, you'll need new front fork springs in order to keep them from bottoming out/hitting the fender....Sonic 1.1 is what I have now. Good stuff ! and cheap $$$
                Last edited by katanarider; 09-24-2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                  Looks awesome !
                  You'll have to make sure to slide your foot back while turning sharp or your toes will drag the pavement...lol...In other words place your toes on the peg during heavy angle. Plus, I think the 750cc pegs are slightly larger than the 600cc, so that may play a factor as well. Just another reason to fit some custom rear-sets in my opinion. My 600 is only lowered 1 1/4" , but your like 1 1/2" (I'm jealous), and I can shred my tire all the way to the outer edge/no chicken strips. Congrads, you now have the phattest looking pre-750 ever.
                  EDIT: Oh, you'll need new front fork springs in order to keep them from bottoming out/hitting the fender....Sonic 1.1 is what I have now. Good stuff ! and cheap $$$
                  http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/

alas when i first got the bike, the front end was mangled. fork tubes were bent beyond repair. the front end I have on now is a non adjustable one from an 89 750.
                  got that split spoke rim with the deal
                  fork seals are good and nothing is leaking good compression/rebound, even the calipers were not frozen.. just need tlc on the fender.

no twisties anywhere that I operate (two main interstate sections and major changes in direction are at stop lights) so I shouldn't be catching the pegs.. if I do then I will maybe have to source a gsxr front end and raise the bike back up
                  93 Kat 750
                  02 RAM 1500
                  04 BMW X3
                  ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Just ride like your suppose to and all is well. If you take a motorcycle class, they will teach you to slide you foot back like I said...Do it correct=no problems.
                    Another thing, I would recommend that you not chop the rear end. Since you lowered the bike, that tail section will look 110% better. Just get a post-98 rear wheel and tiny rear turn signals....the difference is night and day. I bet you'll like it.

Comment

LOL i just had to do it...

sorry, I just had to make that chop. I knew when I got the bike that I was gonna chop it. I didn't want to use any money to replace the plastics or buy new ones.since the front sides and rear mounts were damaged. Minimal bikes always caught my eye.. like it just wheels and a motor going down the highway. I even removed the passenger pegs, didn't want to be asked for rides lol.. so it was more than just the looks. probably gonna start a long term build section for it. I started chop on the seat and looking for lights.. then rattle can it: clean up the frame and no paint. round light. very minimal. it looks good already.

just got to talk the gf into letting me use the turkey carver. lol

oooh its going to be an ALLEY KAT!? not a looker but a lot a scrap in her..
                      93 Kat 750
                      02 RAM 1500
                      04 BMW X3
                      ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

What ever floats your boat. I like showing off how low my bike is. When the tail section is missing you don't notice the as much.

Comment

Originally posted by kbotk89 View Post
                          sorry, I just had to make that chop. I knew when I got the bike that I was gonna chop it. I didn't want to use any money to replace the plastics or buy new ones.since the front sides and rear mounts were damaged. Minimal bikes always caught my eye.. like it just wheels and a motor going down the highway. I even removed the passenger pegs, didn't want to be asked for rides lol.. so it was more than just the looks. probably gonna start a long term build section for it. I started chop on the seat and looking for lights.. then rattle can it: clean up the frame and no paint. round light. very minimal. it looks good already.

just got to talk the gf into letting me use the turkey carver. lol

oooh its going to be an ALLEY KAT!? not a looker but a lot a scrap in her..
                          NO, it doesn't...it looks like a cut up rattle canned junk bike......let call it what it is...
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yeah, Re-sell value does take a nose dive.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                              Yeah, Re-sell value does take a nose dive.
                              hey the scrapyard buys anything.. the shear weight of the thing should get back the $200 I spent for just the bike. I'll pay more in insurance and tires than what I will have into this thing.. looking at a ball park of 800 to 1000 for a complete bike that will take me to work and back for the next 3-5 years (minus maintenance parts, wheels, and gas) while I save up for something newer

while I know that the whole chopped and bobbed look is frowned upon here.. the bike was never intended to be a resto when I got it. if not a street bike then it was going in the dirt for <1/8 mile drag events (pretty popular around here)
                              Last edited by kbotk89; 10-02-2015, 08:56 AM.
                              93 Kat 750
                              02 RAM 1500
                              04 BMW X3
                              ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Not trying to stir the pot and make you angry...but if you don't care what it looks like why chop it ? You'll have more time and headache in chopping it...and probably money invested and a better chance of becoming injured with the tire exposed. Why not just put a factory taillight on it and be done, its that simple. When you find some rear fairings just bolt them on. Seems alot easier to me, not to mention again that it will look better...lol
                                How do you get you'll have to spend $800-$1000 because then its not a $200 bike anymore until you chop it. And the junk yards I know will only give $200 for a multi-ton car around here, not a 500lb motorcycle; that leaves the only option to sell it should you need to. Good luck getting that $800-$1000 back with it chopped. And yeah, your rite that Katanas do average 40+ miles per gallon and thats a bit more than any other bike your going to find in the 600-750cc range. I think it has a little more value than your giving it credit for. Again, not trying to upset you... just keeping it real.

Comment

Working...
                                X