X

Lowering Links for a 1993 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering Links for a 1993 750

On to phase two of my project: I installed a non adjustable set of forks and had to drop them slightly in the trees. Well im only 5'7 and I need to drop the back end as well..

I have been searching for lowering links (dog bone style) to give me atleast an inch and a half drop. Ideally I would like the turnbuckle style to really dial it in but so far.. stuff that fits the 600/1100 will not fit 750.

anyone running a good pair of lowering links for their setup?

Any relevant info is welcomed, Thanks in advance.
    93 Kat 750
    02 RAM 1500
    04 BMW X3
    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

got an update from a member via PM. He stated that teh suspension parts between the 600 and 750 were the same so I picked up some Lowering links made by Pro-tek model LL-110 to try. I will confirm that they work as soon as they arrive.
    93 Kat 750
    02 RAM 1500
    04 BMW X3
    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

So I ran into a little snag guys. I bought the L110 links as suggested and removed the original links from my 750. My original link slightly bends around the shock and it is very asymmetrical: the area that connects to the frame is just over an inch wide! IDK what to do guys.....
      93 Kat 750
      02 RAM 1500
      04 BMW X3
      ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Pic? Not entirely sure what the issue is.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

There was a guy here that sold/made lowering links for the pre-98 models. I think I may have bought one of the last few sets he had if I remember correct. I pretty sure he has moved on these days, but his name was neoblie or something similar; Just search pre lowering links. 1st, try contacting him, If that doesn't work just go see a machinist and have some cut if possible. Some one will probably flame me for safety reasons, but you may be able to weld some extensions.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

**warning open images in new tab

went out an grabbed a couple of pics during break. so here is my concerns:
            the OEM curves, ll110 doesn't
            ll110 holes are slightly larger but not large enough to accommodate the OEM bushing

I did mount one of the l110's up lastnight. it could be possible that the larger holes is so that that, once mounted, the links are at an angle?

I plan to ride this bike on the street and I dont want to wear out the links or cause stress.. but may be im over thinking it. my mechanic (who's shop I'm borrowing states that the shock will do all the work and unless I become airborn, I will not even feel the diameter deviation.and once its settles, It shouldn't move... but that curve is there for a reason.

maybe pack it with bushing/washers to fill the gap??

93 Kat 750
            02 RAM 1500
            04 BMW X3
            ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

The dog bones (lowering links) you bought are for the 1998 and up Katana's. The pre 98 links are different. You can not use those links with the pre 98 cushion lever. No way, no how.

Comment

*SIGH*... anyone have a set? i need about an inch drop to touch the ground properly..
                93 Kat 750
                02 RAM 1500
                04 BMW X3
                ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

"ne-oublie" ... Send this gentleman a message.
                  Original... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84202
                  Last update.... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85695

Comment

All is not lost guys.. Will post pics tomorrow but I couldn't wait to tell you what I found.. So first off.. I needed to take up the space that that top mount consisted of.. I ended up using a bushing and a combination of stainless 12mm washers.. It was two then the link then seven more.. Tightened down.. Now to the bottom.. I used the space at the top to move the links as close to the shock as I can.. The stock bolt was lenient enough to accept the links and two more washers per side.. They are mounted straight.. All in all I am going to source a longer bolt so that I can move them one washer outward on each side and nylock nuts all around to finish the build.. Still tons to do so no riding yet but I'm touching the ground.
                    Last edited by kbotk89; 09-22-2015, 08:44 PM.
                    93 Kat 750
                    02 RAM 1500
                    04 BMW X3
                    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Take lots of pictures...please

Comment

98% success

notice in picture three: this is why I'm going to run a longer bottom bolt. during mock up, I noticed that I had a bunch of clearance on both sides. well when, I tightened everything down I noticed that the lower bolt drew in the space and pushed the OEM bushing ever so slightly that the left link contacts the spring. Well the oem bolt isn't long enough to fit three spacers on both sides, but here is the setup. I didn't have to set them in an an angle.. link performs as it shouldand weight is across the span without distortion, and as soon as I get a longer bolt, that should check the last issue off; which is clearing that spring. (still hoping for an r6 shock)
                        93 Kat 750
                        02 RAM 1500
                        04 BMW X3
                        ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Wow, talk about resolution...lol... I had to zoom out just to see it.
                          You have liberated the pre-98s, good work !

Comment

While you're mucking around in there, great time to clean and grease the swing arm and shock mount pivot points.

Also, maybe go grade 8 (high strength) steel for the longer bolt?
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                              Wow, talk about resolution...lol... I had to zoom out just to see it.
                              You have liberated the pre-98s, good work !
                              I did? I actually asked Junker who initially told me that these links would bolt on. but I guess he thought I was talking about a post 98, which has the skinnier links.

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                              While you're mucking around in there, great time to clean and grease the swing arm and shock mount pivot points.

Also, maybe go grade 8 (high strength) steel for the longer bolt?
                              yes it needs to be cleaned as it sat in the PO garage for about a year and half. Im spot cleaning as I go, but im going to hose everything down in degreaser. I think the frame needs a new coat of paint but I have yet to venture in dropping the motor.

I did pick up a grade 8 bolt but it was only a thread longer. so Im going to need something about a half inch longer.. will post more pics afterwards.
                              93 Kat 750
                              02 RAM 1500
                              04 BMW X3
                              ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Working...
                              X