X

Lowered. Terrified.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
    Seriosly, a Walmart Torque wrench? The most important tool to have accurate and well built, and you bought it from Wally World? I spent $350 on my Matco. Im not going to have a headgasket leak because I cheaped out on my tools.
    I considered that. $350 is about 2% of my yearly income as a grad student, so the Walmart wrench is quite enough for now. The Matco warranty is excellent, but for $350, I could replace half of my motorcycle. I can verify that my tool is operating correctly with a weight and a multiplication if I ever suspect something is wrong. "You get what you pay for"? Possibly. I'll learn the hard way and buy something nicer.

In any case, at least I have /something/, apparently unlike the PO. Everything I've unfastened has been torqued to exactly "as tight as can be" ft.lbs. Except for the oil drain plug (since replaced) which was tightened approximately to "enough to ruin the hexagonal shape of its head and seriously deform the aluminum washer" Newton-meters.

Comment

Being an automotive tech 10 years I've developed a good sense of feel. I rarely use a torque wrench, I have 3, spent way over $1000. One is a snap-on digital one. The others are a snap-on micrometer style and a big JET one that does 300 ft/lbs. I torque some stuff like car wheels for liability and cylinder heads and flywheels so they are absolutely perfect. But for most stuff I just feel for the click in the elbow.

My recommendation for a beginner, torque everything and get a feel for it and don't cheap out on tools. I wouldnt bother with a walmart torque wrench, you are betting your life on it. If you leave a bolt too loose it can come out, like someone else mentioned if you overtighten it, it could break at a very inopportune time. Not to mention warping covers or rotors as well.

But to each their own. I suppose a walmart torque wrench is better than nothing and will likely put the fastener to within 15% of it's desired torque. What you pay for is accuracy. If your walmart wrench is out because the minimum wage stock boy dropped the box of them in the warehouse it's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
        I suppose a walmart torque wrench is better than nothing and will likely put the fastener to within 15% of it's desired torque. What you pay for is accuracy. If your walmart wrench is out because the minimum wage stock boy dropped the box of them in the warehouse it's your problem.
        Thanks for your thoughts jetmerritt and HemiKat. I'll definitely upgrade some time.
        The packaging on the Walmart Torin wrench guarantees accuracy to within 4% from the factory and says that I must calibrate it periodically to maintain that. It doesn't say how to calibrate it, but I guess if I find it's off by a bit and I fsck it up while trying to disassemble it for calibration, that will be a good excuse to upgrade...

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
          Walmart Torin wrench guarantees accuracy to within 4%

Comment

I actually raised the front end of my bike to try and soften the handling a bit, it worked by the way.
            I would hate to lower it and make it more snappy, wow!

Don't be paranoid about wrenching on the front end, just not that big a deal!
            If you do the lock-tight and torque wrench thing it will be fine.

I personally wouldn't ride a bike fast that I didn't check several of the key items with my own hands first. Like break calliper bolts, triple clamp bolts, wheel bolts, You get the idea!
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
            Black painted seat and rear trim,
            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

did you use and locktight on the bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                no craftsman warranty on torque wrenches
                All they warranty are ratchets, craftsman is super gay, they claim or make it sound like everything by craftsman is bulletproof and if not replaceable at no-charge, but that is def. not the case

Comment

Man just use locktite and tighten it once and you'll be good. Can't live your life in fear.
                  1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 95kat650 View Post
                    All they warranty are ratchets
                    I just had a shovel and a T handle allen wrench set replaced last week.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

If you want a REAL torque wrench:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ench-2696.html

If you hold out you can find them for $10 using the sales paper coupons, lol.

Comment

For what it's worth (go ahead, laugh some more :P):
                        When I got home today, I set up a test rig a bit like these:

I used some small barbell weights I dug up in the basement and my postal scale to get more precise weights for the barbell parts. I could only find about 20 pounds worth of barbell weights which let me test torques up to 30ft-lbs in my rig (most of the parts on the bike need less torque than that). Through the 10->30 ft.lb. range, each measurement was accurate to about 3.5%. Also, my wrench is clicking on the low end, so at least I'm more likely to get a leak than break things. So so far, the 4% accuracy claim on the packaging isn't outlandish. I'll try to come up with a way to test higher torques tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                          I personally wouldn't ride a bike fast that I didn't check several of the key items with my own hands first. Like break calliper bolts, triple clamp bolts, wheel bolts, You get the idea!
                          Oh great, now I'm getting worried. I really don't like the idea of riding anything equipped with break calipers...

--> Sorry Bob, couldn't resist the lighthearted jab... :P
                          The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Originally posted by Jobberwocky View Post
                            If you want a REAL torque wrench:

If you hold out you can find them for $10 using the sales paper coupons, lol.
                            Sweet, that looks like the perfect tool for checking the torque on the radial engine in my P51 Mustang restoration...... (If it's dangerous to have incorrect torque on a bike, imagine in a plane!)

FWIW- I very rarely use a torque wrench for anything..... only for things that I know are really sensitive to torque (heads, bearing caps of any sort, etc). For pretty much everything else, I use my calibrated torque-ratchet (aka.- normal 3/8" ratchet). If the bolts in the triples are tight, the forks aren't going anywhere. Don't worry too much.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                              Damn, well my sears here sucks lol

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                                no craftsman warranty on torque wrenches
                                Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                                I've been filing the manual/packaging for all of my Sears/Craftsman stuff so that they can't give me any BS about it not having a warranty if I ever need to bring it in.

I saw the "Forever Full" warranty sticker on at least one of the torque wrenches this weekend in Sears and took a pic:

Comment

Working...
                                X