X

Lowered. Terrified.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowered. Terrified.

So, last night I went and lowered the front end of my kat. Mind you, I did it so I can handle the bike (feet down-wise) more positively and not for aesthetics. I am rather short and can now finally touch the ground. My only issue is that I am afraid of my craftsmanship. All of the bolts were re-tightened but theres just something I dont trust about myself and fastening the bolts keeping me upright. I used a ratchet to secure the bolts and made them more or less as tight as I could go without stripping but still uneasy. Any experiences with this?

To calm your fears you'll have to apply Loctite to the threads and torque the bolts to spec. Don't overtighten or you'll weaken the bolts.
    Good luck.
    '03 600 Kat
    '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

I never get anxiety even when I should (like a leaking engine case cover spewing oil over my rear tire.) Having the torque specs and a torque wrench, along with loctite should give you peace of mind. If not, Paxil http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001037

Comment

If you lowered the front, be sure to change the rear accordingly as you've effected the way the machine handles.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
          I never get anxiety even when I should (like a leaking engine case cover spewing oil over my rear tire.) Having the torque specs and a torque wrench, along with loctite should give you peace of mind.
          The first thing I got after getting my bike was a torque wrench... It's great knowing things are tightened to spec. I got mine for $25 at Walmart. Sears wants $60+ for the ones they have, but then there's the awesome Craftsman life warranty. Either way it's probably worth getting one!
          Last edited by foxox; 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM. Reason: quote brackets fixed

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
            The first thing I got after getting my bike was a torque wrench... It's great knowing things are tightened to spec. I got mine for $25 at Walmart. Sears wants $60+ for the ones they have, but then there's the awesome Craftsman life warranty. Either way it's probably worth getting one!

no craftsman warranty on torque wrenches

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

If you're that worried, maybe you shouldn't be wrenching on your own bike.

Just my $.02
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                If you're that worried, maybe you shouldn't be wrenching on your own bike.

Just my $.02
                Was more looking for solace from you guys. I am exceptionally inclined when it comes to bicycles, and some wrenching, but this to me (mentally) takes it to the next level as its a machine capible of triple digits. Im just cautious is all, and I am going to take the previous advice and buy a torque wrench tonight. I took the precaution of lock tite already but will re-do it tonight.

Thanks guys! Ill post a picture or two if I can

Comment

lol torque wrenches saved my life! my father's old German adage "Gudntait" definitely would have killed me.
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                    no craftsman warranty on torque wrenches
                    good to know! I already had the Walmart one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jack...rench/14560054) when I went to Sears so I didn't look closely :P Without the warranty, I guess I can destroy 3 of these things before the tool budget catches up :P

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      If you lowered the front, be sure to change the rear accordingly as you've effected the way the machine handles.
                      Or not. Lowering the front a little bit should make it a little more responsive.

Comment

Sears has the warranty thats bullet proof .
                        I buy from only major chains and i dont worry .Buy the right tool once or buy a poor tool regularly .
                        Torque wrench was first tool i bought for the bike .
                        good luck relax and enjoy .....Worry if you have extra bolts after .

I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

I have 2 torque wrenches, ft lbs and inch lbs for the small stuff

I never install a wheel on a bike or car without a torque wrench

I like to torque every thing I can when assembling
                          I rareley strip or break bolts or have leaks
                          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                            Or not. Lowering the front a little bit should make it a little more responsive.
                            The bike actually handles pretty neat. Even though I didnt drop it very far it works for me a little better now.

Torque wrench located!

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
                              Seriosly, a Walmart Torque wrench? The most important tool to have accurate and well built, and you bought it from Wally World? I spent $350 on my Matco. Im not going to have a headgasket leak because I cheaped out on my tools.
                              Originally posted by arsenic
                              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X