X

Kickstand issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatanaMan87 View Post
    Thanks I'll try the shim and spring. If that doesn't do it then I'll look up that bushing next! Bypassing sounds like a left turn face plant! Thanks for the help guys
    get both springs for the kickstand.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaMan87 View Post
      Thanks I'll try the shim and spring. If that doesn't do it then I'll look up that bushing next! Bypassing sounds like a left turn face plant! Thanks for the help guys
      Originally posted by Jar3d200 View Post
      Thats what mine is doing what did u do and how much did u spend to do it
      Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
      get both springs for the kickstand.

I'm going to explain the problem, and the simple fix.

First... it's NOT... the springs. The springs are not shot. They are not stretched. The springs will apply the correct pressure on the kickstand, when the kickstand stays in the location it's supposed too. If your buying new springs, your wasting $ and not fixing the problem.

The problem IS the kickstand is loose. Be that from wear or the bolt is not tightened correctly. When the kickstand is loose, it can move away/towards the bike. The springs will then pull it in towards the bike, and that allows the spring pressure to loosen up... so it will drop/droop and not stay in place.

The fix...

In simple steps...

Remove the kickstand and hardware. You SHOULD see a very thin washer/shim as one of the parts. This is what your replacing or fixing with a thicker shim.

Get a basic washer with the inner diam to fit the bolt.

Put it all back together with the washer/shim between the frame bracket, and the kickstand on the side closest to you. The bolt should be oriented so the nut is on the back side or under the bike.

Tighten the nut down fully, try to move the kickstand. If the kickstand will not move at all, remove the shim, make it thinner by a little bit, re-install. Test again.

Wash, rinse, repeat until you have the correct thickness of the shim.

The correct thickness is when the bolt is fully tightened, but the kickstand can still be moved with only very little resistance. It should not be "loose" so that it can be pushed/pulled to or from the bike at all. It should not be loose so that with out the springs it would just fall down. It should be able to be moved, but not move on it's own.

Then... install your original springs and you will see they work just fine.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Alright I'll defiantly just grab a spare washer from the shop and see if that fits tonight! Thanks Krey

Well put a washer on it, the wooble and droop seem to be gone! No money spent
        Last edited by KatanaMan87; 10-13-2014, 10:47 PM. Reason: Problem solved

Comment

Working...
        X