X

Kickstand issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstand issue

Hello I just recently bought an 05 katana and I'm having issues with the kickstand being loose and triggering the shut off switch on the bike. I tighten the bolt as much as I could and the stands still drops while I am riding the bike. Therefore killing it in the middle of my ride. Is that a machine I need to replace or is the spring to stretched out? Just became a member today so any help would be great. Thanks

Welcome, It may be the spring or you might need to add a shim to bolt

Comment

+1,
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Take it to a shop and get it bypassed I can start my bike and ride away with it kickatand up or down

Cost me 30 bucks for half an hour of labor
        Last edited by Jar3d200; 10-11-2014, 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        I just wanna ride my bike
        2001 katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Jar3d200 View Post
          Take it to a shop and get it bypassed I can start my bike and ride away with it kickatand up or down

Cost me 30 bucks for half an hour of labor
          Should have cost you nothing and maybe 10 minutes of your time.

Pull the right rear fairing off, find the right plug, pull it apart and find a way to cross connect the wires in the harness side of things. Rode my bike that way for a month or so before replacing the side stand switch.

Comment

I've pulled out a time or two with my kickstand down and was glad I had the sensor so in some cases it may be better to simply replace the kickstand hardware. New spring, maybe a shim or two
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
              I've pulled out a time or two with my kickstand down and was glad I had the sensor so in some cases it may be better to simply replace the kickstand hardware. New spring, maybe a shim or two
              +1, easy fix
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Yeah, fix it and be done. It is a safety item.

One left turn with it down and you'll wish you'd have fixed it right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                  Should have cost you nothing and maybe 10 minutes of your time.

Pull the right rear fairing off, find the right plug, pull it apart and find a way to cross connect the wires in the harness side of things. Rode my bike that way for a month or so before replacing the side stand switch.
                  Well they threw a new battery in I bought and installed a clutch handle on there all stuff I could have done but I had already towed it and left it there and wanted to drive it away when I picked it up so 30 bucks why not

And my kick stand is also wore to the poubt that it doesnt kick out on its own anymore so when I stand it up it goes back to being in not a sturdy stick out so it would fold in on a left turn for me any suggestions on a fix for me dude said it was the bracket which is mounted straight to the frame
                  Last edited by Jar3d200; 10-11-2014, 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  2001 katana 600

Comment

So, bypassing a bad side stand is a good decision, huh...replace it. One time it's down and you go down, you'll figure out how to fix it. I have a bad habit of leaving it down after fueling, I'll keep it functioning. A bushing would fix that issue.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-12-2014, 12:16 AM.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Ok ill look at it and I dont have a issue with it I normally check it before pushing off by kicking air thinking it could still be down and I didnt know it was bad until I had it bypassed thinking it was the problem it was the clutch sensor is why it wouldnt start and it fell over on its own was the reasoning for all of this after the bypass and it still not starting they figured out what it was and realized the kickstand wasnt working right
                      2001 katana 600

Comment

I'm amazed the amount of work and other parts being replaced people will go through to not have to put a washer on a bolt.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My bike needed a new kickstand it was so worn on the back side. I had to pull the kickstand out to even get the bike to lean over enough to not fall over. Put it up on the center-stand and take the kickstand off to check it out.

Comment

Kickstand issue

Thanks I'll try the shim and spring. If that doesn't do it then I'll look up that bushing next! Bypassing sounds like a left turn face plant! Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by 01 FLAKE 600 View Post
                              My bike needed a new kickstand it was so worn on the back side. I had to pull the kickstand out to even get the bike to lean over enough to not fall over. Put it up on the center-stand and take the kickstand off to check it out.
                              Thats what mine is doing what did u do and how much did u spend to do it
                              2001 katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X